Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have a 2wd... cause I like better fuel mileage and have no need for 4wd.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
i have a 2nd gen 24v but i think i can still chime in as to why I prefer 4wd

4wd has a better stance, can be lifted, and also you never know where you might end up and what you might encounter..so why not be prepared?

·
Registered
188 Posts
I've heard 3mpg is average difference.
I have 4wd trucks because I need the extra traction in the winter and spring. It's no fun getting stuck in a muddy field or pasture miles away from anybody.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
I've heard 3mpg is average difference.
I have 4wd trucks because I need the extra traction in the winter and spring. It's no fun getting stuck in a muddy field or pasture miles away from anybody.
ive heard its closer to 1 mpg..but i still dont think that MPGs should be the determining factor

·
Registered
838 Posts
4wd, i drive through a lot of high mountain passes all through the year. mostly lolo pass on idaho/montana and down the lochsa river. i ran in 4wd for 500-600 miles in a 900 mile trip this winter... not a lot of fun.

·
ILLINOIS NORTHERN VP
2,061 Posts
yeah but if mpg is really concerning you then, you shouldn't be buying a truck in the first place. just my .02

·
Registered
99 Posts
yeah but if mpg is really concerning you then, you shouldn't be buying a truck in the first place. just my .02
dang... since you have all that extra money laying around, how about tossing me some. My truck is a working truck. yes fuel mileage is of concern. A business can't make money if it pisses it away out the exhaust pipe.

·
ILLINOIS NORTHERN VP
2,061 Posts
dang... since you have all that extra money laying around, how about tossing me some. My truck is a working truck. yes fuel mileage is of concern. A business can't make money if it pisses it away out the exhaust pipe.
SURE IT CAN! WORK TRUCK SINCE I BOUGHT IT

·
Registered
287 Posts
:thumbsup4x4 i went with so i can pull my toy hauler in the sand, And pull boats up steep ramps with no problems and also snow at the moutain.:hyper:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just so happen I'm looking at new truck, according to 2 different Dodge dealers, in a diesel there is NO to .5 miles difference between a 2x or 4x. And both said it's a totally different story if your talking gas trucks. To check this out I went to a Ford dealer and basiclly got the same story. (since my current truck is a ford 3/4 gas)
Not to be throwing rocks but Mileage is part of the reason I'm looking also. I hope I'm not fixing to spend x amount of money to get the same mileage I'm currently getting.
That's kinda stupid. hopefully I'll be getting a truck that get 16-20 MPH. That better than the 11-12 I'm currently getting. Just my .02

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
i completely agree..if your running a business and the trruck will not be required to have offroad capability then I see what your saying about not spending the extra money..also, if you have workers driving the trucks 4x4 may be a tempting toy when not at work...but 4x4 trucks do have alot more versatility and the margain of difference in gas mileage in minimal

·
Diesel-less
4,259 Posts
4x4 really helped me out in the rain when I had my old balding tires on. Other than that, since buying it in Sept. of '07 haven't had a chance to really use it.

·
Tennesse Chapter President
1,614 Posts
I get 20.5 mpg st 70mph. I have the 4x4 just in case. I would rather have it, than want it :thumbsup

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
I wanted a 4X4 so I could tow it behind my motorhome.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts