Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2017 3500 that is 2WD and I'm trying to do a few aftermarket upgrades such as leveling the truck. I did find a 2WD leveling kit for my year but it has spacers and I would like to just purchase taller coil springs instead of installing spring spacers, problem I'm running up on is that all the 2017 Ram 3500 leveling coil springs I have found say they're either 4WD compatible or do not specify 2WD VS 4WD. Does anyone know if the 2WD / 4WD trucks have the same size coil springs and I could install taller springs that might not say they are 2WD compatible?

·
Registered
14,644 Posts
4WD trucks sit higher than 2WD, springs are different, so a levelling spring for a 4WD won't be the right height to level a 2WD.

Possible that a stock 4WD spring would come close to levelling a 2WD though, might measure one and see.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I was thinking also. I've called a lot of places including Chrysler's parts center and nobody could tell me if the 2WD and 4WD trucks springs are similar in the OD and ID as well as the actual diameter of the metal itself. If they're the same diameter I would probably go ahead and buy the leveling 4WD springs cause I have air bags on the rear for towing my fiver and can simply inflate the airbags a little more and give the back of the truck a little boost too raise it also.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
I did a quick catalogue search and the front coils from 2017 show up in both 2wd and 4wd. There are a lot of choices, a couple of dozen or more. The different spring capacities are for varying weights due to options among other things. I think the answer to your question is yes, but finding the one that gives you the desired level is the trick.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not sure which catalogue you are using as a reference. Is there a website I can look up, I didn't think the spring would be different based on trim level but it's a tradesman trim level, regular cab G56 manual, dual rear wheel. Maybe you know a website I can look up that will allow me to type in my exact specifications?

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
The catalogue is Starparts. I am in a Dodge parts dept. My understanding is in order to have vehicles with different weights off the assembly line sit similarly they have to adjust the spring capacities to achieve this. The bottom line is you wanted to know if a 2wd and 4wd spring can be interchanged and I would say yes. The exact same spring by part number shows up in both a 2wd or 4wd. And no I cannot answer which one you would need because the information is just not available to me. Basically I can take a VIN and provide whatever your vehicle is equipped with but not how to find one that would raise or lower it a bit.

·
Registered
14,644 Posts
The catalogue is Starparts. I am in a Dodge parts dept. My understanding is in order to have vehicles with different weights off the assembly line sit similarly they have to adjust the spring capacities to achieve this. The bottom line is you wanted to know if a 2wd and 4wd spring can be interchanged and I would say yes. The exact same spring by part number shows up in both a 2wd or 4wd. And no I cannot answer which one you would need because the information is just not available to me. Basically I can take a VIN and provide whatever your vehicle is equipped with but not how to find one that would raise or lower it a bit.
Yeah, I tried to look up some springs in a mopar parts website, and there were about 8 different front springs all listed for the same application.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I tried to look up some springs in a mopar parts website, and there were about 8 different front springs all listed for the same application.
Okay, thanks for the info. I think I'll just buy an aftermarket spring from someone reputable like skyjacker or rough country and if it is to tall I could always cut a cool off and paint the end

·
Registered
14,644 Posts
Okay, thanks for the info. I think I'll just buy an aftermarket spring from someone reputable like skyjacker or rough country and if it is to tall I could always cut a cool off and paint the end
Problem with cutting off a coil is it increases the rate, may make for a tough ride.

Have you tried calling one of the lift companies for a recommendation?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by increasing the rate. Cutting a coil off shouldn't have any detrimental effects of you cold cut it with a bandsaw, I could see using a torch harming the metals integrity but if it is cold cut then it will still be the same overall space between each coil the same metal thickness, same diameters, everything would be the same, just shorter.

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
Hope this helps. RCLB 3500 4x4 stock springs. Part number in the first image.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jeez, I knew the dealership I bought my truck from was a bunch of gd crooks but I didn't think they would go that far. After you posting those pictures it prompted me to look for the OE tag on my coil springs and see if it was still there so I could find the part number. It was and I looked up the coil springs by part number and they're springs meant for a 2500 and not a 3500. I bought the truck at that dealer cause they were the only ones in the state who had a G56 manual regular cab at the time. I wish I had just gone to the local dealer I have done business with before and ordered it instead

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
Wouldn't surprise me if 2WD 2500 and 3500 use the same front springs.
Wouldn’t surprise me either, no reason not to. Both have the same engine and body weight up front. And in my experience with my goosenecks the front end actually stays about the same with a load out back. In fact I used to lose about 10-20# off the front end loaded vs just the trailer hooked up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I thought that also but I looked up Mopar's website and searched my VIN and went through every single part # that was listed for my VIN and none matched the part that's actually on my truck. It wouldn't surprise me if one of those people at the dealership robbed the springs off the truck on the lot to put on their personal vehicle. If you guys had seen and heard everything I have from that dealership you would understand why I think that is possible

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
As an example the pictured 68172107AA spring can come on 13 - 18 2500/3500 2wd or 4wd. Same for the 68172108AA. The 68172099AB on your truck, Txtraveler, only show up on 3500 2wd or 4wd. This stuff is hard to sort out.

Check out wranglerforum to see the people there trying to adjust rake or lift their jeeps. They go through the same thing.

Seems pretty random at times with all the different springs out there but I am sure all the sagacious engineers and assembly line workers know exactly what they are doing. Maybe they decide what springs based on a lottery or their favorite number.

·
Registered
841 Posts
look on CL. i see stock springs for sale all the time. i would give you mine but i threw them away

1 - 20 of 30 Posts