Cummins Diesel Forum banner

2wd sled pulling tips

21K views 26 replies 14 participants last post by  96dieselram 
#1 · (Edited)
I have received alot of emails on the 2wd sled pulling topic. So for those of you that are wanting to give it a shot i will post some of my expericense

Step 1 (set up)

Setups may vary according to horsepower and vehicle u are using. I have found that using something that stiffing the rear end creates weight transfer quicker into the pull. You want something to block the rear end solid so that one or both back tires will lift off the ground appox 2-4 inchs. If the front end lifts any higher then this point u are basically killing your self. U want to make sure to have a good locker in the rear end. If not when your tires raise off the ground your truck will want to go where the power is.

Step 2 ( Hitch)

The hitch is extremely important in hooking. U want to be sure to lift your rear end as high as rules allow. When setting up the hitch go 2 inchs past your mark. When u add weight to the bed of your truck and drop tires pressure to 25psi ( Does the best for me Others may vary) then u will drop 2 inchs of hitch height with all weight in the bed. This will allow u to be dead on the money when the tech checks your hitch height.

Step 3 ( Setting up weight )

Weight is the second biggest factor with a 2wd truck. U want to get all your weight about half way from the fender wheels and tail gate. This will allow your front end to pick up ( I run 770 pounds right over there rear tires. And 420 On the tail gate.) This allows for weight transfer very rapid during the hook. The 770 pound helps u get out of the whole and get the sled moving while the 420 pounds helps your front end raise up And both work with each other to get the ground speed that u need. Results may very according to power that u have. My truck is a estimated 530 hp So if u are in that neighbor hood this set up should also work for you.

Step 4 ( Front end )

I know dodge and ford do not have torsion bars. Put if there is a way u can set the front end down as low as u can get it that to will also help in pulling. If you have a leveling kit your rear tires will not plant until appox 1/4 or 1/2 way down the track. With lowering the front end on the vehicle almost as soon as u come out of the whole the back tires are planted and front tires are off the ground. Also run stock size tires on front and run 33- 35 on rear ( Rear tires may differ accodring to power levels.

Step 5 ( FAQ's)

I have received some emails from differnt people interested in the sport and here are some of the question.

Q. What kinda tires do you run anything speical?
A. I have 2 differnt set of tires i have a set of 315/75/16 procomp M/T's i run on are harder clay tracks. And i have a set of 33/14.50/16.5 boggers for are softer tracks.

Q. What gear ratio do you have?
A. I have stock 3.73 gearing with a g-80 locker

Q. Would u suggestion using a 5 speed or 6 speed for pulling?
A. My self i like to use a automatic. Reason being Some tracks u can only run first gear others u can catch second. With a 2wd if u shift from 1st to 2nd on advarage you lose 2-4 mph. With that being the case u can not afford to loose ground speed in a 2wd or your night is done. Also you will have to ride the clucth alot to get the weight moving after letting out of the clucth fully most trucks start to hop.

Q. Is there any speical way u wanna stage " spot " the sled when hooking?
A. Some organazation allow u to hook to the sled how u want to and others wont allow u. If there is a possible way to stage "spot" the sled to the left or to the right from where everyone eles is hooking then do it. If not as soon as u come out of the hole look at the track and make your best judgement on what path u should take to the flag guy.

Q. Do u have traction bars?
A. Currently i do not have traction bars i have never needed them yet the truck does not hop coming out. I am currently in the process of getting some to put on my truck to see what kinda differnce if any they make.

Q. What kinda tranny work do u have done? Would u reccomend any?
A. I started off pulling with a stock ally and she did not like it very well. 2high is to big of a gear to pull with. it makes alot of heat for the torque converter seal. I now have a transgo tranny with a stock converter. I strongly reccomend a billet converter. As they can handle more heat then stock

See less See more
#3 ·
For all the guys that are intersted i started my own 2wd sled pulling forum.

www2wdsledpullingforumcom :: Index

You can come here and we will share tips and ideas on it and plus talk about diesel stuff. ITs free to become a member so if u would like join up

Please keep in mind i just started it so it will take a couple days to get it working proplery

#4 ·
I dont want no BS in my sticky. im trying to keep this more technical terms then BS. Also this place is not a drama house like you are used to on compd so please keep out

#8 ·
with proper setup... yes

lynn champan was doing it over the winter. iirc he steped up to 2.8/3.0 class

#9 ·
trying not to be bias but are you saying a 2wd can be competetive with 4wd as placing once in a while or is it possible to dominate over 4wds with enough hp and right set up.

#12 ·
Put the ally in first. If u fill u are pulling enought rpms to for it to slam in second then shift. Put chances are you wont. I was only able to do it one time and are tracks down here in florida are sugar sand. So it takes a very very loose track and alot of horsepower to catch 2nd gear

#17 ·
I'm sooooo gonna show up at the local pulls and run in the 4x4 class with my dually... BUT, what gear should a guy with a 2wd 5 speed run? Probably Second I'm thinking as I have 4.10's........ 3rd would be a bit steep I think..... I'll probably be in the 300 hp range by then or a little over.......

#18 ·
Go for it man.... Best of luck to ya. Im glad to see more interest. I started out with 4.10 in my truck and have always ran second gear. I have also changed my rears to 4.88s and now to a 4.63, and still run the same gear. I can run about 28mph ground speed in 2nd.
It was a little harder to take off with the 4.10s but it will still work great.
If yall have any more questions feel free to PM me.

Lynn

#21 ·
Giving this a bump. Been a while since i have been on here.
my latest pass at the 2nd BOB Super pull in Lexington, Ky.

YouTube - mymack9nozzle's Channel

My first pass on a totally new setup and I was down on hp due to a crapped out fuel system. Thanks to my good friends who let me borrow parts..lol

I am still running 2.6, with a stock 2wd nv4500. I have however went to a 2 ton GM rear end and a solid suspention much like a 2wd gas truck runs only built a little stouter. I have also boxed in my frame for added strength.
If anyone has any questions feel free to post em up. Ill be glad to help.

Lynn

#23 ·
I'll be competing at my home fair. With those retreads I bought with 22/32" of tread, I should hook pretty good. :)

#24 ·
I ended up pulling in 2wd in a 4wd drive class by accident...twice. :doh: You think I would have learned, but both times it was problems with the vacuum actuator. Anyway, to my surprise as well as the crowds I did quite well. It was just local fair pulls so nothing too hot, but I finished in the top half both times. One of the pulls after that I almost had about four guys to sign up and pull in 2wd with side bets, but no one followed through. :confused013:

All in all I was :shock: to see that I could compete with the 4wds under those circumstances. :thumbsup:

#25 ·
Old thread i know. But im sooo down to start gettin into this. I always always always get told that i need to make my truck 4x or buy one. Now i know i can hang with the 4wd guys and show em whats up. Haha. No. Jk. But i do want to pull and have never done it. And to be honest know absolutely nothing about any of it. My uncle does it all the time in indiana but cali its kinda not around. So im gonna start hangin with yall if its cool. :)

#26 ·
Hmm looks like I need to get back over here a little more and help yall out.
Ive been out this year, rebuilding to 3.0 open drive line. With the current power levels needed in the 2.6 class OEM driveline just wont hold up under a 2wd no matter what you do to it.

Ill be starting a build thread soon on the rebuild. and ill try and help you guys out as much as possible.
Glad to see more intrest.

Lynn

#27 ·
Yessir. Not many events in my area. But once i move outa state im lookin forward to it. But. Honestly. Idk the first thing about pulling Idk what the classes mean or any setups or any of that. Any help is much appreciated. Lol. I didnt grow up around it. But my history with it is going and watching my uncle pull in indiana. Thats all i got. Lol. And that i like it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.