Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I am seeking an expert consensus on the 2nd versus 3rd generation. I have a 97 12v 4x4 with about 110k miles. It is my first Dodge, and overall, I am very impressed by the performance. It has been cared-for, but has nonetheless been prone to multiple 'minor' problems (fuel shutoff solenoid, fuel return line, power window switch, fuel heater, thermostat, starter motor, etc). All have been corrected but I am not a shade tree mechanic or even somebody who has time to continuously work on my vehicle. I am sold on the cummins, but I am at the same time very frustrated by the high maintenance aspect of the Dodge platform.

Is the 3rd generation lower maintenance than the 2nd generation? I have an opportunity to buy a 2005 w3ith the same mileage, and I am considering trading in or selling my 97 and getting the 2005 in the interest of having a lower-maintenance vehicle. Would this be a better choice?

Any thoughts or opinions would be much appreciated. If the 3rd gen is better, then can anyone give me a ball-park value for a clean and (now) well-running 97 4x4 extended cab long bed with auto transmission, A/C, and power locks/windows/mirrors, and all maintenance records?

Thanks, I don't know what I would have done without this forum over the last year. All the feedback has been a big help, and I have learned a lot.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Im WAY more satisfied with my 05 than i was my 99. Lots less maintenance involved. I cant speak for everyone, but i personally have had way fewer problems with my 05.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
3rd gens are far more capable rigs and the chassis is more reliable vs the 2nd gens since they come with the weak points of the 2nd gens fairly well addressed.

My 2nd gen has been pretty good to me, it has its "months" where lots of little things beg for attention and money, but i am VERY much on top of any issue that arises so little problems dont become big ones.

If i still towed really heavy all the time, id consider a 3rd gen but cant get past the body/interior that just doesnt seem to hold up as well as the 2nd gens, aside from the 2g door rust problems...

One thing when it comes to maintenance issues, no amount of care can off set a rig thats just plain older than the newer truck(your 97 vs the 05). The way cars/trucks are built now, the electronics seem to fail with regularity at about 10 years of age.

Jason

1 - 3 of 3 Posts