Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I am going to buy a Dodge Cummins. (My first one) But I have ALOT of friends with them, that is why I am going to get one.

I plan on eventually modding it so its 600+rwhp

THE PROBLEM IS!

Should I get a 2nd or 3rd gen? I need a longbox though, and it HAS to be a manual tranny. HAS TO, I hate automatic.. Personal preference....

I hear alot of guys tell me to get a 2nd gen, and alot of guys tell me t oget a 3rd gen!

Some people tell me buy a new truck, some people tell me buy a older truck.. I dont want to spend more than 25k$$ honestly

I have NOT FOUND any 2ng gen manual QC longbox's.. If I get a 2nd gen it HAS to be a QC..I dont like the 2nd gen regular cabs...

If I get a 3rd gen I am looking at regular or crew cab..

So I want your guys HONEST OPINIONS PLEASE!

What do you think I should get.. There are ALOT of 3rd gens local, new and barely used. But NO Q/C longboxe 2nd gens.... Any help and input would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!

Thanks,
Kellen

·
It's got 12 Valves...
4,472 Posts
Yeah I have owned both and yes you definitely want a manual and I have to tell you the 3rd gens are awesome :thumbsup.

I know where you can find a good 3rd gen for cheap as well :w::w::w:

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Hold out for one of the good ones (2nd gen). Research the 12v if you haven't already. I don't know what you know so sorry if I repeat some stuff. The 12v has some free power in it but you can't use electronic chips. The 24v has NO free power, but for a few hundred bucks you can add a few hundred horsepower.

I guess the biggest reason I would say 2nd gen is because you can buy the truck and have more $$ for you're 600 rwhp :thumbsup

Shoot, for $25k you could P-pump a 24v and go wild!

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
they both have there "things" dont let people scare you on the 2nd gens vp problems cause if you run into injector issues on the 3rd gen it will cost you more than what that pump will. the 2nd gens are a little harder to get big power out of but can be done. i love my 3rd gen truck but miss things about my 2nd gen too . so i guess its what you find and what you like driving more. youll be happy with either one

·
Registered
674 Posts
injector problems what injector problems? who runs stock injectors at 600hp

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea this is what I want, different opinions from other people! The price doesnt make a difference on how much money I spend on add-ons because im making payments on it... so if I have a 500$ payment i am still making 2k a month right now so I have plenty to spend on performance parts.. I am turning 18 next month so being my 4th truck I want to get a truck that I will keep for a long a$$ time..

I really dont know. I hear the 3rd gen motors are better but WAY more expensive to work on, I hear the 5 speeds are better and cheaper to rebuild than the 6 speeds, I hear the 2nd gens are easier trucks to work with, but I also hear the inside and suspension on 3rd gens is nicer..

I mean I want to get a truck SOON! This month! But I CAN NOT find any manual Q/C Longbox's.... I dont want to spend alot of money driving to pick up a truck because that eats into my money for performance parts.. There are ALOT of 3rd gens here.

IF I GOT A 3RD GEN, should i get a regular cab or crew cab... what is better for 600hp.. I mean... Is the CC alot heavier? or what do you recommend..?

I dont know!!

Thanks,
Kellen

·
Registered
674 Posts
i love havin that back seat and havent been past by a reg cab yet!

·
Registered
18 Posts
it took me about 6 months to find the truck I have now, I wanted a 2nd gen H.O QC long box, I found trucks all over they all looked good in the pics but when you got up close and saw for yourself and drove them most were beat to death and not taken care of, or by the time you got there to look at them they were sold already, it takes time and like you I wanted one now

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
I hear the 2nd gens are easier trucks to work with, but I also hear the inside and suspension on 3rd gens is nicer..
Well thats what you're going to run into... (oh man, this is going to cost me for sure) The 2nd gen is more of a truck than the 3rd gen. There, I said it.:w: The 2nd gen is louder, rides rougher, doesn't have the amenities of a car and I love that about them. If you want more STOCK horsepower, a more comfortable ride, and the interior of a car, go 3rd gen.

When I go over a bump and the rear end jolts back down to the ground, I know i'm in a truck and when I pull up to a light and the cars around me roll up their windows, I know i'm in a Diesel. :thumbsup

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well thats what you're going to run into... (oh man, this is going to cost me for sure) The 2nd gen is more of a truck than the 3rd gen. There, I said it.:w: The 2nd gen is louder, rides rougher, doesn't have the amenities of a car and I love that about them. If you want more STOCK horsepower, a more comfortable ride, and the interior of a car, go 3rd gen.

When I go over a bump and the rear end jolts back down to the ground, I know i'm in a truck and when I pull up to a light and the cars around me roll up their windows, I know i'm in a Diesel. :thumbsup
couldnt have said it better myself

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I love LOUD trucks, always have... Ole' country boy... So I want trucks so loud they make old people :thud: lol..

I want a truck that will work best for 600+rwhp...

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
btw, I never asked, 2wd or 4wd?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
4X4... I will NEVER buy a 2WD truck or another automatic EVER....

What The Heck should I get!?!?! aagghhhh I dont know.. This is a great forum btw!

·
Registered
847 Posts
Get a 6.7 Mega Cab and do a longbox conversion! :thumbsup

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
any one with a 600hp 2nd gen! speak up
I actually don't think there will be a shortage of replies to this, but just in case, FarmboysDiesel has a 2nd gen with a heck of a lot more than 600rwhp.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I guess this is just my opinion. But you want to buy a truck to mod and beat on. And you're young. $500 a month payment, plus bombing money. Personally, I think you may be better off buying a 12V manual tranny that somebody has bombed up to around 400 hp or so, and build from there. You should be able to get it cheaper, have more money for bombing, and the 12V can take a pretty good beating.

But like I said, this is just my opinion. I guess I'm getting old or something ... if I had a son, I would recommend that he not spend his money in this way. There are much cheaper toys out there. My truck is a tool.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts