Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All I wanted was to buy a spare-honest.

I've been getting a real education about this truck I bought. It seems that I have 17 inch factory 3rd gen steel wheels with a chrome flashing. I was able to find a matching spare and tire, (damaged), but now I have some questions.

My 98 truck originally came with 16 inch wheels because there was no 17" option, right? Another truck I looked at had aftermarket wheels and I asked the seller why. He said it had been owned by a rancher and the steel wheels had cracked. I've also read bad things about the factory steel wheels like excess runout. How bad will these third gen wheels be? My eventual goal is to get 3rd gen alloys and do a five wheel rotation.

Current tire size is 265/70/17 in a BFG rugged trail, which I think are garbage but I can't afford to replace right now. They are at least 50% but I've already been stuck once in the snow. My new spare has 25% tread left and sidewall damage but it was cheap and will only be used for emergencies. I also picked up a 16" steel spare with a goodyear wrangler with 101% percent tread left-it still has the nubbies but the date code puts it as 10+ years old. Is it still safe? How long can I run it as a backup spare since it is a smaller diameter?

I will also carry tire plugs for emergencies. I've always had good luck with plugs and while a patch is the "preffered" fix, have never experienced any downside from quality plugs. As well, a proper patch should have some compound in the hole to prevent water intrusion into the belt and if not done properly, can ruin the tire. A plug by design does not have this shortcoming? I opened up a fingertip plugging a 3/4 ton tire once so I have an idea how hard it can be to put in.

I'm probably leaving on a 5000 mile trip in a week so I welcome your input.

·
On call 24/7
12,570 Posts
Yep 16in tires factory, 17's didnt come till 03. I have 07 aluminum wheels on my 98 and like them alot. I wouldnt trust a 10 year old tire and I wouldnt put a smaller tire on it either. Ive always carried an electric drill and drilled the hole out bigger before I put a plug in. Its especially easier with these 10 ply tires.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That drill is a good idea. Thanks. What kind of plugs do you use? I had some red self vulcanizing I picked up a loooooooong time ago but its time to get some more. I've heard the Napa are good.

·
On call 24/7
12,570 Posts
I cant remember what kind they are but they are the heavy duty red ones too. They came from oreilly's auto parts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts