Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Since my truck is a sport and don't have a tow point on the front end this build is long over due... While the tow point is kind of the overall goal it is going to double as a weight bar attachment also.

If you have access to a torch, welder, grinder a drill press , and a little knowledge of how to use a level and a square this can be accomplished pretty easily with some time.

I'm using 1/4" flat stock and 2"x2"x1/4" square tubing and will be guesting all corners with the flat stock. I have $60 into the 3 feet of 8" flat stock and 7 feet of square tubing. The only thing I need yet is the weld in reciever.

First what I did was figure out how I would mount anything to the front of the truck... The outside frame rails had some flat points on it where I could bolt some flat stock to the frame and use that as a starting point.

Then I took some cardboard and made some templates I will use to trace on the 8"x1/4" flat stock.

I then traced it over to the flat stock with a metal marker and cut the straight edges off with a band saw and the round parts I torched, I Then ground everything smooth with a 4"grinder.

So those are my starting points. My brackets that will be bolted to the frame. On the drivers side I plan on using the bolts that hold the power steering pump on to mount that plate and the passenger side I'm using the 3 holes in the frame that allow you to get at the A/C mounting bolts to mount that plate.

This is a mockup of the passenger side... The 1/4" plate allows the 2x2" square to run past the steering brace without interference. It's kinda hard to see but you'll get the point.

Got the whole thing tacked up today... took along time!

here is the drivers side bracket mounted with the gearbox bolts

where my 2" square mounts to the flat stock the bolts are in the way as you can see so i had to do some fabrocating

here it is all tacked up

^^this last pic everything wasnt exactly square so i straightened it out this morning^^

Got it welded up and ground down so i can gusset the corners

Its Gusseted on both sides

Copied the rear receiver hitch on the receiver gusset

Im defiantly not a professional welder but i thought my welds looked good!...i "spray" welded everything (For you that dont know, its where you crank the voltage and wire speed up and it literally melts the metal to itself)

In Primer

This was the first day with everything tacked together to see how it looked. I like how its kind of hidden

it is removable, the sway bar just unbolts and my new hitch just drops down. Tomorrow i will be gusseting all the corners and welding it up completely!

Prety sure this hitch is more structurally sound than the rear receiver
I also decided i will be making a step or platform to stand on to make it easier to work underneath the hood!

·
Banned
1,619 Posts
Weight? On the front?

I think these trucks have enough weight up front as it is... I know mine does.
My front end weight says "Cummins" on it. It's mounted under the hood.

The rear however,could use a little weight in the winter.

Thinking of getting brake rotors.

Couple of these should do it:
I need to get some of these babies on my truck. Hit the middle pedal and have the SRS computer think you hit something and set off the airbags.

Yeah, that's my foot... I can get a whole pallet of these babies.

Here's the pads to go with them.

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bump for progress made!

·
PA VICE PRESIDENT
4,650 Posts
Make me one! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
726 Posts
Me too, that's a nice setup you're building there.

Reactions: Smourj21

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bump for mostly finished product!

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Installed!!

The clearance between my hitch and the steering Stabilizer

Its not designed to move trailers i just put this receiver in for reference

·
Registered
726 Posts
Looks good man! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Awesome build, would you mind getting some measurements? I would love to build one of these.
Yeah i could pull some measurements... That was the hardest and most time consuming part was getting everything to length square and level

I will get some measurements today, but be aware that you would want to tack it all up in place to make sure everything fits correctly

Reactions: DjWolf37

·
Registered
31 Posts
Looks good, I like it!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.