Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok Guys im new here and im in the market for a 2nd Gen Dodge, but i know nothing really about them i want a 24 valve, i was wondering if you could tell me the main problems with this engine, from the smallest ticks to the big things, Also lets say i wanna run a chip, intake, exhaust, and some injectors. what kind of engine upgrades am i looking at? new studs?

And Finally whats the average life for a well mentained Cummins, and as they get old whats the most common thing to go?

Thanks Alot Guys,
Christian

· Hemi
13,184 Posts
The main problem is the lift pump. They die even at stock power and when they do they usually take out the $1000 injection pump too. A Airdog will fix that problem though. You don't need any engine modifications with small injectors and a chip. Some people run 150's on the stock turbo but they have to keep a close eye on the EGT gauge. I also recommend a EGT, fuel pressure, and boost gauges. If you take care of the truck with regular fluid and filter changes then it should treat you right.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thanks man, really a fuel pressure? See i dont know much about these trucks i have a 95 powerstroke, and want to get a cummins too, Im a mechanic so i can do all the maitenance myself, but i dont know much about the cummins engine and how it works so im trying to learn now b4 i buy.

· Registered
1,419 Posts
The biggest problem is the lift pump. When they go out it will take the injection pump with it. Put a lift punp like a raptor, fass, or airdog (just to name a few of the popular ones) and you will be fine. You dont have to worry about studs or rings until you add a bigger turbo. If you want to do a chip, exhaust, injectors, intake, stuff like that, you just replace the original and thats it. A cummins if maintained properly is going to last you what seems like forever. Cummins recommends a rebuild at 500,000 miles. It is a great motor tho.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The biggest problem is the lift pump. When they go out it will take the injection pump with it. Put a lift punp like a raptor, fass, or airdog (just to name a few of the popular ones) and you will be fine. You dont have to worry about studs or rings until you add a bigger turbo. If you want to do a chip, exhaust, injectors, intake, stuff like that, you just replace the original and thats it. A cummins if maintained properly is going to last you what seems like forever. Cummins recommends a rebuild at 500,000 miles. It is a great motor tho.
Ok thanks man, pretty much everything i wanted to know.

· Premium Member
1,019 Posts
Obviously, the lift pump issue is high on the list. A fuel pressure gauge should be considered mandatory.

Other issues.

Track bars.
Steering boxes.
Ball joints.
Wheel bearings.
Auto trannys with any added power.
Cracking exhaust manifolds. Sometimes cracks head.

KDP as late as '02.

Rear license plate lights burn out and melt to housings then fall out and get you a ticket.

Sunglass door breaks with too much use when you hide your fueling box controls there.

And the other BIG problem is these things can make a lot of power on the cheap.

Dave

· Premium Member
11,940 Posts
You can do your own research by reading past posts. Have fun.

· Registered
1,495 Posts
here are some of the things that have gone south since i bought my truck just a little over a yeaar ago

lift pump
vp-44
steering box
speed sensor
transmission
clutch
map sensor

most of the problems where caused by my ignorance so its good to know in what order you need to add mods so by adding a mod you dont f**k up other stuff

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.