Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
iv got a stock 2nd gen manifold and i wanna put it on, iv got a htt 66/71/16 with a 3rd gen manifold. will that turbo bolt to the 2nd gen manifold, and will a hx40 downpipe bolt up to the back side of the turbo. iv done alot of looking and cant find out those two things... thanks guys

·
Smells like Bananas
7,247 Posts
If that flange on the manifold and turbo are the same, T3 or T4 then yes you can use then together. Pretty sure you can use that down pipe as long as it all bolts up.

·
Premium Member
3,823 Posts
I believe 2nd gen is T-4 and 3rd gen is T-3. I have both of them on a shelf in the shop I can measure for ya tomorrow and see. the 6.7 is a T-6.

·
Premium Member
2,580 Posts
If it's a factory 2nd gen it's a t3. If the exhaust housing has been machined flat, the hx40 DP is :thumbsup: I think the 6.7 torso is a hybrid t4. Mattpopp has had some experience with this. On a side note.....some after market 2nd gen manifolds are t3.

·
Tech support junkie
4,986 Posts
Sure am glad this is posted up here! Im gettin ready to buy the rest of my stuff formy 2nd gen manifold swap on my 2010. I need to find a way for a turbo pipe to bolt up. This s468 needs a special pipe i know i foudn pure diesel performance has a pipe adpater for 80 that comes whith flange and clamp. Does anyone make a pipe thatlljust bolt up? If not i guess i could get a pipe and weld it to the flange and 90 it down to the pipe i got now. Any adivice on this? Ran07 i see you say if the flange is machined flat itll work good? I was gonna go pick a new one up on craigslist for 75 bucks but the guy couldnt tell me if it was flat or not.

·
Smells like Bananas
7,247 Posts
The 6.7 Manifold is a hybrid T4. The flange and open is the same but the 6.7 manifold have a different bolt pattern. As far as I know you can buy a 2nd gen manifold with either T3 or T4 flange. A T6 flange is pretty big. That is what is on my S480.

One thing you want to check is if the Turbine housing and Manifold housing are divided or not. You want both to be divided. If one is and the other is not you will lose spool performance. It will also not perform as well if both are not divided but not as bad if one is and the other is not. Stock 6.7 turbine housing and manifold are not divided.

·
Tech support junkie
4,986 Posts
Give Chris at E.D. a call. They sell a adapter for a HX40 DP:thumbsup:
Sweet man THANKS! SO no one you know of sells a pipe to just bolt up instead of welding? E.D. now that ones not quite ringing a bell what sops that?

·
Smells like Bananas
7,247 Posts
Is this what you are looking for?

High Tech Turbo

Being that you have a HTT turbo you may just call them as I believe that is the DP that you need.

·
Tech support junkie
4,986 Posts
Is this what you are looking for?

High Tech Turbo

Being that you have a HTT turbo you may just call them as I believe that is the DP that you need.
No its not. The s400 to my knowledge is different than a hx40. The exhaust outlet is flat on my turbo

·
Premium Member
2,580 Posts

·
Tech support junkie
4,986 Posts

·
Tech support junkie
4,986 Posts
ENGINEERED DIESEL - ENGINEERED SOLUTIONS FOR ALL DIESEL MOTORSPORTS

HTT also makes a HX40 DP for a 3rd gen exhaust. 94-02 DP's don't make the 25 degree angle at the bottom of the pipe, 3rd gen does. Need to be sure you specify that:thumbsup:
Got ya. So ill need the one thats for the 3rd gen then i assume and the adpater for the pipe. Figured id need a adpater or something as this would need a lip to slide into the turbo to keep it from leaking. The maxxforce13 has the exact same flange which is also a borgwarner turbo it has a lip to slip into

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks guys so a stock 2nd gen downpipe wont bolt up to my 3rd gen turbo? i guess i can call htt tomorrow since i am running one of there turbos and see what they say

·
Tech support junkie
4,986 Posts
thanks guys so a stock 2nd gen downpipe wont bolt up to my 3rd gen turbo? i guess i can call htt tomorrow since i am running one of there turbos and see what they say
They have a downpipe thats made just for your turbo the 3rd gen style thats able to hitch up to it in the 2nd gen manifold position. Im kinda up in the air on it cause no ones done it on a 2010 yet. My turbos also different than yours i believe cause mines a borg warner.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ya i saw that downpipe but i guess the stock manifold wont work with my turbo, i was on a web site think it was diesel auto source or something like that and they had alot of diff downpipe setups for diff turbos and setups you might look there and see

·
Smells like Bananas
7,247 Posts
Got ya. So ill need the one thats for the 3rd gen then i assume and the adpater for the pipe. Figured id need a adpater or something as this would need a lip to slide into the turbo to keep it from leaking. The maxxforce13 has the exact same flange which is also a borgwarner turbo it has a lip to slip into
Tomorrow I will post up some pictures for you to identify but the flat flange that you are referring to, is it the same flange on the factory turbo once you remove the elbow that is attached to the turbo by means of a V-Band?

·
Tech support junkie
4,986 Posts
ya i saw that downpipe but i guess the stock manifold wont work with my turbo, i was on a web site think it was diesel auto source or something like that and they had alot of diff downpipe setups for diff turbos and setups you might look there and see
If you buy a t4 manifold buy www.speedstead.com its supposed to be the best. Thats what im buying for my setup. I was lookin at that site pretty nice on what i can buy. I found this

5" Downpipe for S400 Turbo

·
Tech support junkie
4,986 Posts
Tomorrow I will post up some pictures for you to identify but the flat flange that you are referring to, is it the same flange on the factory turbo once you remove the elbow that is attached to the turbo by means of a V-Band?
Yes the flat flange is just like the stocker 6.7 with the elbow. I found one source sells but damn 220 for a pipe???? I paid 300 for the whole system on my truck. I still think just buttin up pipe to pipe ti going to leak it would seem to me ill need a stocker style deal that would bolt up to the turbo with a little lip and bolt to the pipe.

Heres my turbo exh flange

1 - 20 of 39 Posts