Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

2nd gen manifold on a CR

2349 Views 32 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  drunk on diesel
Any of you guys use a 2nd gen manifold on a common rail? Im getting rid of the twins but heard there may be some benefits as to me keeping the 2nd gen manifold... so yeah... anyone running this with a single??
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Pursuing the Great Commission
12,714 Posts
subscribed... I've heard it helps spool a single faster, but curious to see people with experience with it think. :thumbsup:

· Free parts distributor
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
subscribed... I've heard it helps spool a single faster, but curious to see people with experience with it think. :thumbsup:
Same thing ive heard... i guess it would entail shortening the intercooler, fabbing something custom on the intake, and maybe a custom downpipe? it looks like on the CR exhaust exits b/t 4&5, and on 2nd gen it exits b/e 3&4.... not i know they say cylinders 5&6 ge the hottest so would it be creating too much heat for the CR being you are giving those cylinders more exhaust travel?

12,714 Posts
not sure, sounds logical. I've got a HTT62 on the way so I plan on trying it on my stock manifold first before i go through modifying everything.

Did you keep everything from before you put your twins on?

· Free parts distributor
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
not sure, sounds logical. I've got a HTT62 on the way so I plan on trying it on my stock manifold first before i go through modifying everything.

Did you keep everything from before you put your twins on?
It was supposed to be "borrowed" but i havent seen it again... :banghead:

12,714 Posts
I hate when that happens. :RANTIN:

· Registered
83 Posts
I put a second gen ATS on my 03 and it sounds so much better. Turbo spool is quicker also.
It is a good mod just for the sound change imho. Fabing a down pipe is the hardest part.

Joe

· Registered
4,129 Posts
Basically the 2nd gen manifold will help SPOOL UP and keep EGT's COOLER to somewhat of a degree. As for power, Les(2007 5.9) went to a 2nd gen manifold and lost 10hp on a Dynojet 224. But he did gain peak boost and spool up.

I think I rather keep a 3rd gen manifold, too much work to swap to a 2nd gen. HX-40 down pipe needed, fabbing work on the intake and intercooler pipe as well.

I can send you my 3rd Gen elbow if you want? Since already shipping half the stuff.

Link to 2nd Gen manifold swap and what is needed.

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/3...ussion/115213-2nd-gen-manifold-swap-done.html

· Free parts distributor
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Basically the 2nd gen manifold will help SPOOL UP and keep EGT's COOLER to somewhat of a degree. As for power, Les(2007 5.9) went to a 2nd gen manifold and lost 10hp on a Dynojet 224. But he did gain peak boost and spool up.

I think I rather keep a 3rd gen manifold, too much work to swap to a 2nd gen. HX-40 down pipe needed, fabbing work on the intake and intercooler pipe as well.

I can send you my 3rd Gen elbow if you want? Since already shipping half the stuff.

Link to 2nd Gen manifold swap and what is needed.

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/3...ussion/115213-2nd-gen-manifold-swap-done.html
sorry i didnt call back last night... ill get iwth you this evening..

· Registered
433 Posts
I have an ATS 3 piece on mine, it wasnt bad at all. Of course I had taken everything off my second gen. The only PITA was modding the intercooler pipe and welding it to where we had no boost leaks. I used an HX-40 downpipe for a second gen, no modding needed.

· Free parts distributor
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i bet Chris looked this up in the dictionary :hehe:
simple: makes our get togethers much more boring and we have nothing to work on and chris' truck runs great

WTF is the point in that?:lol4:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.