Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I knew the volume knob was intermittent, but the stereo suddenly stopped working the other day.

What to do, what to do.. Tablet, ipad mini, double din, flip up screen. I wouldn't mind upgrading but I don't drive much presently. That will change in 8 years but today's radios will look prehistoric by then.

Can anyone tell me about the infinity system? Is it just the speakers, because the head unit doesn't say infinity, only the tweeters and original option list.

And I understand each speaker has it's own amp? So all six speakers have a 12 volt power wire and also preamp signal wires? How does a aftermarket head unit work with speakers that have their own amp and need pre amp signal?

So after I wrote this I got the idea to remove the positive cables from the batteries for a while, and sure enough, the radio works again. Crazy volume knob though, but we will see if contact cleaner helps.

If I upgrade to a aftermarket HU, should I also upgrade the speakers and run all new wire?

Thanks!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well.. The radio just fizzled out again. Sort of like the amp shut down.

What did you guys replace your radio with, and did you forget the infinity system?

·
MOOB ADMIRER!
2,452 Posts
I bypassed the Infinity system and ran 3 sets of RCA cables to 2 separate amps and then ran speaker wires to the doors. Here's what I did:

Alpine Headunit
4 channel Alpine amp for the door speakers sitting under the driver's seat
6-3/4" Pioneer component speakers up front
6.5" Pioneer 2 way speakers in the rear doors
mono Kenwood amp for the subs sitting under the passenger seat
2 - 10" Rockford Fosgate subs in a sealed box under the back seat

It sounds good and gets loud enough for me. Much better than the stock Infinity system

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I bypassed the Infinity system and ran 3 sets of RCA cables to 2 separate amps and then ran speaker wires to the doors. Here's what I did:

Alpine Headunit
4 channel Alpine amp for the door speakers sitting under the driver's seat
6-3/4" Pioneer component speakers up front
6.5" Pioneer 2 way speakers in the rear doors
mono Kenwood amp for the subs sitting under the passenger seat
2 - 10" Rockford Fosgate subs in a sealed box under the back seat

It sounds good and gets loud enough for me. Much better than the stock Infinity system
Nice..

I was looking a little closer today and dodge sure did conceal all the wrapped wiring and amp. I cant even see it behind the glove box I'm told and someone pop riveted the glove box in? lol. Can you remove the lower dash without removing the upper? And you dont happen to know what wires go to where on the stock harness? Wiring diagram?

Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts