Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guy i was wondering if anyone has swap an 2nd gen cummins engine into an first gen dodge truck i basically maxed out my pump on my truck and was going to swap in a p pump but then i got my hands on an 96 dodge that was in a wreck so i was going to swap the engine in to my truck is there any tricks to this for the wiring or is their an wiring harness to do this and if anyone has done this or someone knows some info that would be an lot of help if not i could use the help

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a '93 Dodge 4x4 with a rebuilt Cummins with 15000 miles on her. The power I have is dismal even though I have rebuilt the pump, new injectors... Lots of smoke on pulling my tool trailer but very little low end acceleration. Just looking at Little Smoky power pin. Can anybody give me some suggestions as to how to get back the power I had before new engine?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Hey guy i was wondering if anyone has swap an 2nd gen cummins engine into an first gen dodge truck i basically maxed out my pump on my truck and was going to swap in a p pump but then i got my hands on an 96 dodge that was in a wreck so i was going to swap the engine in to my truck is there any tricks to this for the wiring or is their an wiring harness to do this and if anyone has done this or someone knows some info that would be an lot of help if not i could use the help
I would run your current engine into the grave, then swap the 2nd gen in. As far as I know all the 5.9's are the same engine except 12valve or 24 valve and injection pump which shouldn't really matter anyways. What kind of tranny is in your trucks?

·
Registered
570 Posts
Not sure about the alternator because you'll have to send signal to the PCM in the 1stgen from the cam sensor. I am thinking though the 96 engine should have this. Otherwise it's just the grids and the shutoff selinoid. You have the air temp sensors in the manifold that will cycle the grids and also would cycle the KSB but you won't have that anymore. Should be pretty str8 forward swap with some good water resistant butt splices. Get to it man. Sounds fun.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i basically got everything ready and i dont thing i got to switch anything around to swap it but if there a problem ill probably be on here asking questions but ill let ya'll know how it goes and take some pics.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
i basically got everything ready and i dont thing i got to switch anything around to swap it but if there a problem ill probably be on here asking questions but ill let ya'll know how it goes and take some pics.
Keep me informed on your swap because I am thinking about putting a 94 in a 89. Curious on all the plugs and stuff. :popcorn:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts