Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I have read about this but I can't find answers to my questions.

1. Can I use my stock turbo?
2. Can I still use my AFE Mega Cannon?
3. Can I still use my 5in TBE?
4. What about the intercooler pipe.
5. When I go to buy a new turbo. Do I buy one for a 2nd gen or can I use a 3rd gen.
6. What are the other little things I will need?

I am currently in Iraq. I want to pick everything up and get it all rounded up so I am not going into this blind.
I can't view pictures posted on the forum. So If someone wants to send me tons of pictures of what they have please PM.

Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I believe you need an HX40 down pipe to reach the new turbo location so I don't know about the exhaust you have on there now.

Stick with a 3rd gen turbo. The only difference between the two is the angle on the outlet of the turbo has a 90* bend on the 3rd gens.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Round up all the parts? Just buy a kit it's a little more exspensive but well worth it. Trust me I just hand built my twin setup and after it was all finished and had 50 hrs of time into it for fab, tear down and install. Pain in the a**, it works good and all but if you're not a real good welder and I mean REAL GOOD WELDER and have access to all the tools and know-how, placement mock-up oil lines return/drian lines and little things that nickle and dime you you will go insane! On my wife's 96 12v we're just buying the upgrade kit from ATS for the Aroura 3000 to 5000 compounds. Ya it's gonna cost an extra $3000 or so but it will go in smooth and work seamlessly and I won't have to spend another week in the shop without making money out in the field.

·
Registered
400 Posts
But then again that might be your cup of tea.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I have been certified by the Air Force.
But I dont want twins. I just want to do a manifold swap for the sound. I dont want twins. I can pull my sleds around just fine right now.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Well I have been certified by the Air Force.
But I dont want twins. I just want to do a manifold swap for the sound. I dont want twins. I can pull my sleds around just fine right now.
:ditto: I don't have a Cummins, but will have one and would like to do this just for the sound. Can I use all stock parts just a new manifold?

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
i have been taking some photos of my projects (yes i still haven't finished building the custom turbo to intercooler pipe in the last year that i've done it :doh: )

i'm currently putting up some other pictures for another member. let me know if you would like some other pictures.

Pictures by sooterctd - Photobucket

-stock he341 turbo
-custom built/tig welded downpipe (you can use an hx40 and they should fit almost perfect with minor mods)
-stock-style 24v exhaust manifold
-modified 53willy's intake

-10 hours minus supper and some bs...fairly easy thing to do

tom

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
is there a sound differance between 3rd gen manifold and the 2nd gens?? why and what is the sound differance??

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
that does sound pretty cool!! hahha i just may have to do that!! :drool2::headbang:

·
Registered
13,852 Posts
who makes a kit to run a 2nd gen setup on a 3rd gen? :confused:

he's not talking about twins, he's just talking about running a 2nd gen manifold on his CR.

the topic has been covered in a number of threads recently. I laid out all the stuff I had to do

Round up all the parts? Just buy a kit it's a little more exspensive but well worth it. Trust me I just hand built my twin setup and after it was all finished and had 50 hrs of time into it for fab, tear down and install. Pain in the a**, it works good and all but if you're not a real good welder and I mean REAL GOOD WELDER and have access to all the tools and know-how, placement mock-up oil lines return/drian lines and little things that nickle and dime you you will go insane! On my wife's 96 12v we're just buying the upgrade kit from ATS for the Aroura 3000 to 5000 compounds. Ya it's gonna cost an extra $3000 or so but it will go in smooth and work seamlessly and I won't have to spend another week in the shop without making money out in the field.

·
Registered
209 Posts
subscribing, very interested.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
so i just ordered a 2nd gen manifold for $40 :thumbsup: and what all else do i need??? do i just need the manifold and thats it?? i understand that i have to cut the intercooler pipe but i can do that, but do i need any other parts?? i just have to drill and tap before i put it on for the EGT and... i want to drill and tap for my drive pressure gauge.. just dont have one yet.. so i guess i will hold off on that unless you think i can drill it while its out then just put a bolt or something in it to plug it?? or should i just wait

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
you'll need to build a custom downpipe or use an HX40 downpipe with a 4" outlet on the turbo (he341's come with a 3.5" outlet housing)

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
so an HX40 downpipe will bolt right up or i will still need the 4" outlet??

·
Registered
13,852 Posts
an HX40 downpipe most certainly will not bolt up... the 3rd gen turbos use a different flange than the HX40.

your best bet is to buy a 3rd gen v-band flange, slide it over the HX40 downpipe and weld it on

·
Registered
251 Posts
Would a 2nd gen turbo be a better fit?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts