Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sorry to kick up another “MPG” thread, but I have to share this. Just completed a 2100 trip in the truck. Arkansas to Asheville NC. We took the truck b/c we needed to drop off a patio set to some kin folk in GA. Left AR at 4am, with moderate rain, sometimes heavy. I ran the first 250 miles around 55 to 60mph, due to the rain. We stopped for a restroom break and the trip computer was showing 28.6, with around 3/4 of a tank of fuel left. I went ahead and topped it off and then hand calculated it at 28.1. That’s a real number. Shortly afterwards the rain slowed down and I picked my speeds up in the mid 70’s range. I was still getting 24 mpg. We dropped the patio set (a small table and a few chairs, all light weight) in GA and continued our trip. My MPG dropped around Gatlinburg and Asheville due to some running around we did. Then from the trip to Asheville back to AR (mainly I-40), I picked it back up again. We ended the trip and the computer was showing 24.3. I didn’t hand calculate the trip back, but I suspect it would fall around 23.5 for the entire trip. I use my truck for towing a 5th wheel mostly, and this is the first real long haul she has made unloaded. I’ll post my specs below:

2015 Big Horn, crew cab, auto
4x4, SRW
71,450 miles
3.42 rear end
Stock suspension
Wheels: Factory 20”
Tires: Michelin LT’s, E 285/60
Factory programming (only programmed to remove ‘certain’ codes’ ;)

·
Registered
2014 2500 Tradesman 4x4 LB 68RFE Bonestock
4 Posts
Sorry to kick up another “MPG” thread, but I have to share this. Just completed a 2100 trip in the truck. Arkansas to Asheville NC. We took the truck b/c we needed to drop off a patio set to some kin folk in GA. Left AR at 4am, with moderate rain, sometimes heavy. I ran the first 250 miles around 55 to 60mph, due to the rain. We stopped for a restroom break and the trip computer was showing 28.6, with around 3/4 of a tank of fuel left. I went ahead and topped it off and then hand calculated it at 28.1. That’s a real number. Shortly afterwards the rain slowed down and I picked my speeds up in the mid 70’s range. I was still getting 24 mpg. We dropped the patio set (a small table and a few chairs, all light weight) in GA and continued our trip. My MPG dropped around Gatlinburg and Asheville due to some running around we did. Then from the trip to Asheville back to AR (mainly I-40), I picked it back up again. We ended the trip and the computer was showing 24.3. I didn’t hand calculate the trip back, but I suspect it would fall around 23.5 for the entire trip. I use my truck for towing a 5th wheel mostly, and this is the first real long haul she has made unloaded. I’ll post my specs below:

2015 Big Horn, crew cab, auto
4x4
71,450 miles
3.73 rear end
Stock suspension
Wheels: Factory 20”
Tires: Michelin LT’s, E 285/60
Factory programming (only programmed to remove ‘certain’ codes’ ;)
Very impressive! I'm interested in your programming.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Single rear wheel truck, I presume? If so, you have 3.42 rear end. Unless you changed the gears or have a Hemi.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I have found and posted about it, if you run 60-62 you can get very good MPG. Problem is everyone passing you is irate and many flipping you off. Also I have 2 sets of tires factory and a little bigger factory are good for 2 MPG on a highway trip.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Single rear wheel truck, I presume? If so, you have 3.42 rear end. Unless you changed the gears or have a Hemi.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
You are correct. I have a 3.42. My bad. I updated the original post to reflect it.

·
Premium Member
2011 Ram 2500 4x4 6.7 68RFE 4 inch lift
1,423 Posts
I don’t see how any 4x4 CTD can hit that high of fuel mileage. Especially with all the emissions crap on these trucks.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don’t see how any 4x4 CTD can hit that high of fuel mileage. Especially with all the emissions crap on these trucks.
‘Some’ of the 4x4 CTD’s had the emissions stuff fall off. Hence much better MPGs

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
My 2016 has never gotten close to that, but I drive ~75 on the highway so that's going to be the big difference. 55-60 I might be in the low 20's mpg?

·
Registered
583 Posts
I can believe that fuel mileage number since your truck has a 3.42 axle. My old 83 Ford with the international 6.9L V8 diesel (non-turbo) w/ 4.10 rear axle would make 14-15 mpg running empty at 70 but if I slowed it down to 58mph (remember the speed limit was 55 in those years) it would make 23 or better. My 2011 CTD with 3.73 gears woud make over 23mpg empty at 75 on the I-state when it was tuned with the MiniMaxx, but after it's head gasket fiasco I had it re-tuned with EZlynk and it runs 18-20 mpg. I

P.S. I think it is very rude calling someone a liar without evidence to back it up. He can't help it your truck doesn't make good fuel mileage.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I can believe that fuel mileage number since your truck has a 3.42 axle. My old 83 Ford with the international 6.9L V8 diesel (non-turbo) w/ 4.10 rear axle would make 14-15 mpg running empty at 70 but if I slowed it down to 58mph (remember the speed limit was 55 in those years) it would make 23 or better. My 2011 CTD with 3.73 gears woud make over 23mpg empty at 75 on the I-state when it was tuned with the MiniMaxx, but after it's head gasket fiasco I had it re-tuned with EZlynk and it runs 18-20 mpg. I

P.S. I think it is very rude calling someone a liar without evidence to back it up. He can't help it your truck doesn't make good fuel mileage.
Thanks. Yeah, I was ready to be called lair. I knew many people wouldn’t believe it. But it’s a real number (I can do math). The above poster made a good point regarding small sample size. The 28mpg was in fact a small sample, only 250 miles (most at around 55mph).
I bought my truck with 30k miles on it and after a few ‘mods’ ,(read between the lines), the truck started to consistently get 21 and 22 on the highway, at 75 to 80mph. If I stay at 70 ish, it will climb from there.
As said, I’m running a stock tune. And I forgot to add, I have a 4” cat back exhaust w/ an FTE and 51” Donaldson flow thru muffler. Zero drone at highway speeds.. only road noise.

Some of these guys here making an effort to discredit me are not comparing apples to apples. I’ve read about other folks posting the same type results, so my MPGs are not off base. Rare maybe, but I’m not alone.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Doesn't even rank with my best.....:ROFLMAO::sneaky:;)

For 21 glorious miles heading out from Palm Springs area of the 10 on way back to FL, through all the Wind Turbine fields with a major league tail wind and barely touching the pedal, 32.3 mpg....:sneaky:

FL to CA to FL - Version VII

·
Registered
1,120 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
I definitely believe it - I get around 20mpg now around 70mph unloaded - I did notice 1-2mpg drop with the upsized tires - I do need to regear to 3.73 to accomodate and get that lost economy back - I'm also all intact, for now

·
Registered
44 Posts
I will have to admit that i do not really believe this. I do not seen how one truck can get 10mpg better mileage than the vast majority of the exact same trucks. If a delete and tune would do anything resembling this i think Ram themselves would have to get involved. Do you think it would up Ram's sales if they could claim that their 3/4 ton HD Diesel truck gets even 25mpg highway? yes, it would increase there sales exponentially, the reason they do not make those claims is because the trucks do not get that kind of mileage.

Now if you reset your mileage at the top of a mountain and then set the cruise to 55 for the next 20 miles dropping 10,000 feet in altitude i think this could be realistic.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Now if you reset your mileage at the top of a mountain and then set the cruise to 55 for the next 20 miles dropping 10,000 feet in altitude i think this could be realistic.
Exactly. (y) :giggle: Or as in my example as well. ;)

Reactions: Jimmy N.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I took a trip to Tampa,Fl, about 400 miles, got 26.1 mpg, running at 75 on highway. Running 3.42 gears, SRW. I get 20-21, highway/city.

·
Registered
18,737 Posts
Where I live, it would be fairly easy to get numbers like that, even with a 9,400-lb. DRW and 3.73s.
But I could only do it once. Then I'd have to regain the several thousand feet in altitude lost, and the average would be nothing like the artificially high number.

Since weather, road conditions, traffic, and many other factors, keep changing and influencing the mileage my 3500 gets, after four years I still don't really know what its mpg will be. But for short distances I can definitely make it look really good, or really bad.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts