Cummins Diesel Forum banner

276K Mile Cylinder Borescope

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Marq92 
#1 ·
I don't know what I am supposed to be looking for but I thought these looked pretty clean for the miles, cross hatch is very prevalent. Number 4 has a bit more carbon than the others but that was the bad injector cylinder that provoked the swap of all six. What do y'all think?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Just from the pictures, the cylinders still have cross-hatch and I don't see any grooves. Looks good. As far as pistons, I'm assuming that's carbon build-up and not early melting? #2 and #4. (y)

Reactions: Dblr2
#3 ·
I'd love to know how to remove some of that carbon to see if it is, just to differentiate.

Reactions: B2hibry1
#4 ·
I suppose you could pull the head and get at it! :LOL: But hell, at that point might as well just change em' out and throw some rods in. An inframe if ya will. I know curiosity would be killing me for sure.

#5 ·
I promise I'm not that curious at this point. Had a borescope at work and while doing the studs/valve springs decided to take a peek and was happy with what I saw.

• Haha
Reactions: B2hibry1
#6 ·
Yeah looks carbon built up just on the piston and mirroring off in the wall. Everything looks good.

#7 ·
My truck has 272k been tuned for a while now. Runs like a top. No blow by. Original injectors. I wouldn’t sweat it. A lot of people on here make you worried for no reason. Run it

#10 · (Edited)
What would clean that up? At International when a rocker bridge would fall off due to sticking valve(carbon). We would take the cold start ignitor off and run a cleaner at high idle with the down pipe removed so the dog wouldn’t clog.

#11 ·
I wouldn't even worry about it. Most engines will look like that with enough miles. It's not going affect anything like carbon on a moving part in the valvetrain.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.