Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2003 CC 3500 4x4 DRW
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know what I am supposed to be looking for but I thought these looked pretty clean for the miles, cross hatch is very prevalent. Number 4 has a bit more carbon than the others but that was the bad injector cylinder that provoked the swap of all six. What do y'all think?

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
Just from the pictures, the cylinders still have cross-hatch and I don't see any grooves. Looks good. As far as pistons, I'm assuming that's carbon build-up and not early melting? #2 and #4. (y)

Reactions: Dblr2

·
Registered
2003 CC 3500 4x4 DRW
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd love to know how to remove some of that carbon to see if it is, just to differentiate.

Reactions: B2hibry1

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'd love to know how to remove some of that carbon to see if it is, just to differentiate.
I suppose you could pull the head and get at it! :LOL: But hell, at that point might as well just change em' out and throw some rods in. An inframe if ya will. I know curiosity would be killing me for sure.

·
Registered
2003 CC 3500 4x4 DRW
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I promise I'm not that curious at this point. Had a borescope at work and while doing the studs/valve springs decided to take a peek and was happy with what I saw.

• Haha
Reactions: B2hibry1

·
Premium Member
Lower carbon footprint than new junk
3,113 Posts
Yeah looks carbon built up just on the piston and mirroring off in the wall. Everything looks good.

·
Registered
810 Posts
My truck has 272k been tuned for a while now. Runs like a top. No blow by. Original injectors. I wouldn’t sweat it. A lot of people on here make you worried for no reason. Run it

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Fuel additives will break up that carbon and so will heavy towing.

Reactions: Dblr2 and Swafdog

·
Registered
786 Posts
What would clean that up? At International when a rocker bridge would fall off due to sticking valve(carbon). We would take the cold start ignitor off and run a cleaner at high idle with the down pipe removed so the dog wouldn’t clog.

·
Premium Member
Lower carbon footprint than new junk
3,113 Posts
I wouldn't even worry about it. Most engines will look like that with enough miles. It's not going affect anything like carbon on a moving part in the valvetrain.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts