Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the Ford and Chevy 2500 frame, suspension and rear axle are the same as the 3500 models. Is this true with the Dodge?? I'm looking at a bigger fifth wheel and would rather stay with a 2500 if possible....

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Sort of, the 3500 frames have pads welded to them in the back for the overload springs to ride on, otherwise they are the same.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
co worker has a large fifth wheel, he bought a 2500 and added ride rite air bags

·
Registered
300 Posts
I did the same, planning on adding air bags if I needed the carrying capacity, but I kinda wish I would have gone with the 3500 just to get rid of the TPMS system. Not a big deal stock, but a pain if you want bigger tires. Not sure if the '09s are still allowing the 3500 to avoid the TPMS requirement.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Newbie alert - what is TPMS? I've been kind of wondering the same thing about the supensions on the trucks. The 3500 has some helper springs, vs. the 2500 not. How many springs make up the difference, in the normal spring pack, or is it just the added helper springs that make the difference?

It used to be the 2500 and 3500 HDs had the same suspension, but as manufacturers continue to make trucks ride more like cars, I think it would almost pay to go with the 3500 suspension if you want a real truck.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
It used to be the 2500 and 3500 HDs had the same suspension, but as manufacturers continue to make trucks ride more like cars, I think it would almost pay to go with the 3500 suspension if you want a real truck.
I don't know about that, my 2500 rides like a covered wagon. The ride sucks.

Way too stiff. Hard rebound over anything other than a completely flat road.

·
f7u12
2,295 Posts
Newbie alert - what is TPMS? I've been kind of wondering the same thing about the supensions on the trucks. The 3500 has some helper springs, vs. the 2500 not. How many springs make up the difference, in the normal spring pack, or is it just the added helper springs that make the difference?

owners manual!

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
In answer to your questions and other raised here. The 2500HD and the 3500HD SWR both have the same AAM 11.5 rear axle and diff. The only difference is the single extra leaf spring that is added to the 3500HD SWR to allow the truck to carry and additional 1000lbs.
The other question is what is TPMS? This is the Tire Pressure Monitor System all light trucks and cars are required by federal mandate to have this feature. Must maintain a certain tire pressure in tires, if not a warning is sounded that tires are low/over inflated, added about 1K to vehicle price. You can thank Ford and Firestone tires for this added feature on our trucks. Remeber JOB 1 per Ford.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts