Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
This is my first 2500, I have nothing to compare with. I love the way my truck rides unloaded, kids prefer we take my truck over the wife's MDX. Added bonus with air suspension is you can lower the bed for easier access.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I really appreciate it. More opinions appreciated.

Thanks,

Flash

·
Registered
47 Posts
Flash,

My 2500 with rear air rides much nicer than my previous 2500 Chevy, I have driven a coil spring Ram but only on a dealer test drive so I do not have enough experience to compare. The 2500's do ride stiffer than a 1500 does but you have almost 2-3x the payload ability.

The biggest bonus of the air suspension is the adjustable height. I can drop my tailgate to be only 33" from the ground vs, 39-42 for a spring suspension. That makes an incredible difference while loading the bed. I can also use the air suspension to lower or raise my hitch while hooking up a trailer which can be convenient.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Can't wait I got a 2015 mc ctd with rear air should be here the end of January. first diesel truck, it's built and waiting to come north
The waiting is the hardest part. My truck was one of the first rear air suspension versions built and the five month wait between the time I ordered the truck and it hit the dealer lot tested my patience. I just passed 6000 miles and not a single problem. The fuel economy of the Cummins will also make you really happy if you previously owned a HD gas truck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
All my buddies have dodge diesels ranging from 1-3 generation. I've benn driving 3/4 burbs for the last 12 years running my girls soccer teams. Now it's my time they are grown up and I have a 8.5 x 16 enclosed trailer a buddy brought up from Oregon for me. For the toys and can't wait to tow with no worries of hills and a lot better mpg.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Flash,

My 2500 with rear air rides much nicer than my previous 2500 Chevy, I have driven a coil spring Ram but only on a dealer test drive so I do not have enough experience to compare. The 2500's do ride stiffer than a 1500 does but you have almost 2-3x the payload ability.

The biggest bonus of the air suspension is the adjustable height. I can drop my tailgate to be only 33" from the ground vs, 39-42 for a spring suspension. That makes an incredible difference while loading the bed. I can also use the air suspension to lower or raise my hitch while hooking up a trailer which can be convenient.
Thanks for the reply. I assume the lowering ability comes with the factory option rear air suspension not an aftermarket? Correct?

Thanks,

Flash

·
Registered
420 Posts
I didn't notice a difference with coils and bags, In the end I bought the Limited with the bags because I like my truck level and I didn't plan on lifting because whens its -40 out i want my truck to fit inside!!!!

I've had 2000 pounds in the back. and it rode level and just the same as empty, i'm happy with the purchase!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Flash,

My 2500 with rear air rides much nicer than my previous 2500 Chevy, I have driven a coil spring Ram but only on a dealer test drive so I do not have enough experience to compare.

NewRamFan,
I am currently looking at a 2014 2500 Laramie CTD 4x4 for year end deals. It has everything I am looking for on the 2500 series, with the addition of Air Ride in the rear. This is the first time I have really researched this feature but it sounds like a nice add for towing and working (lower the bed height).

Did Ram ever say if the system is included in the 100K/5Yr warranty or just the 36K/3Yr standard? Since these are relatively new, I am slightly worried about the longevity of the system (compressor, lines, bags, etc).

Anyone else with air ride experience that can speak about maintenance?

·
Registered
14,644 Posts
NewRamFan,
I am currently looking at a 2014 2500 Laramie CTD 4x4 for year end deals. It has everything I am looking for on the 2500 series, with the addition of Air Ride in the rear. This is the first time I have really researched this feature but it sounds like a nice add for towing and working (lower the bed height).

Did Ram ever say if the system is included in the 100K/5Yr warranty or just the 36K/3Yr standard? Since these are relatively new, I am slightly worried about the longevity of the system (compressor, lines, bags, etc).

Anyone else with air ride experience that can speak about maintenance?
The air ride will be just like any other suspension part, only covered under the base warranty.

The only part that may have longevity issues may be the compressor, the bags themselves have been around for a long time with very few longevity issues.

·
Registered
14,644 Posts
What about lifting the truck in the future?? As in 4" lift kits?
Either spacers between the spring mount and the bag or taller bags.

The issue with the lift then becomes the trailing arms, you can only lift it so much before the arms will become misaligned, but this is the same with the bags or the coils.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I assume the lowering ability comes with the factory option rear air suspension not an aftermarket? Correct?

Thanks,

Flash
Yes lowering is available in two steps. One by the trailer ride height button which lowers the rear to a flat or zero degree angle (normal is 1 degree tail raised). Or for loading you can select trasport mode in the settings -> suspention options screen and it will deflate the bags to the suspension stops.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The air ride will be just like any other suspension part, only covered under the base warranty.

The only part that may have longevity issues may be the compressor, the bags themselves have been around for a long time with very few longevity issues.
I also purchased the mopar extended warranty for 8 years or 120k which also covers the bags and the compressor.

·
Registered
57 Posts
So I posted this up in the Thuren Progressive Rate Coil discussion but I think it might be happier here...

As a matter of fact I figured out a way to manipulate the stock air bags to adjust to about where you would need to run Thuren coils. Priorities shift around this time of year for me so I haven't been able to order a set of springs to dial in all the measurements. Cause I don't know if it's just me but the air ride trucks just seem to sit a little lower...

Any questions just let me know. I'm testing things out as we speak as well as putting some hardware together.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Has anyone added the factory air ride to their truck? I have the coil setup on my 2014 CTD, and wonder if this has been done, and what it would cost? I tow a 32ft 5er, and when not towing would like the ability to lower the rear when loading mine an the sons dirtbikes. thanks

·
Registered
576 Posts
Has anyone added the factory air ride to their truck? I have the coil setup on my 2014 CTD, and wonder if this has been done, and what it would cost? I tow a 32ft 5er, and when not towing would like the ability to lower the rear when loading mine an the sons dirtbikes. thanks

I'm about to pull the trigger on the rear boss kit on eBay. I also want to lower my rear end when loading and have the ability to load level when hauling. My only concern is the extension length as I do play in the dirt. The vendor says it isn't a concern, especially since it was designed in Australia.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
107 Posts
So I just bought my first Ram 2500 CTd with the rear air ride. I've driven 3 2500's, some for a day "the dealer insisted" and I can say without a doubt the rear air ride transforms these trucks. No jar, no bumpiness, no chatter. Smoooooooooooth ride. LOVE it.

1 - 20 of 119 Posts