Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was at my buddys house yesterday night and went to start my truck to let it warm up (about 25F outside), fired the truck up no problem as usual and went back inside, about 3-4 minutes after it started, it died idling. it started back up but was cranking slower, ran for a bout 5 seconds and died again, after that it was cranking so slow it wouldnt fire. starter was smoking and melted off the little terminal so i changed the starter today and its still cranking very very slow and hard.

ive checked the batteries, grounds, connections, starter (obviously lol) but nothing changed, i tried cracking injector lines but still nothing, im running outta ideas and if i cant figure it out by friday its going to the shop, any ideas fellas? im about to check for codes and will post what i find

·
Registered
526 Posts
How did you check the batteries? How old are they? Is it a matched set of 27's, they should be. It sounds like they're bad or you have a bad connection. I would take them out and have them tested separately , load test them and re-charge if they prove to be good. You might have a bad alternator and they're not charging. Definitely check for codes with a scan tool.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just got it running, i have no clue what happened, i was showing a buddy how it was cranking and it started spinnin over faster and finally hit and ran. spins over fine now and fires right up
14.5v charging and yes i checked both 27s individually with a tester, fully charged and tried it right before i uploaded that video

·
Registered
20,180 Posts
Clean terminals with brush or scrape cleaner to metal to metal connection.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts