Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 2 5/8'' autometer liquid filled fuel gauge where do i tap into to get a fuel reading. im going to run it with no isolator as i want the truth and will deal with it when and if it leaks. also from where i tap into the fuel to the gauge thats all thats needed or do i need a valve of some sort.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also does anyone know what kit autometer sells to install this in my truck as far as hose and fittings are concerned.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I just got a 2 5/8'' autometer liquid filled fuel gauge where do i tap into to get a fuel reading. im going to run it with no isolator as i want the truth and will deal with it when and if it leaks. also from where i tap into the fuel to the gauge thats all thats needed or do i need a valve of some sort.
There's a schrader valve on the VP feed inlet. You'll need an adapter or a different banjo bolt that has an end for your gauge line.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
on top of my filter canister their were two 1/8'' plugs i just took one out and installed my fitting and i have fuel pressure is that ok or should i have done it somewhere else.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
also i have my wastegate unplugged and i an using that spot on the turbo to get a boost reading is that ok or should i get it somewhere else.

·
Registered
148 Posts
liquid filled?!?

what, are you shakin the tires on your cummins!?:!?:rof:rof:rof:rof

j/k

seriously, just playin dude.:hyper:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Check out Geno's Garage, they hooked me up with a tapped banjo bolt and seals that taps into the VP. i used a needle valve and fitting from NAPA to fit mine to the gauge.
good luck:thumbsup

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
If you do tap into the VP44, DO NOT USE a solid SS or copper line form the VP to the gauge. You will get an immensely loud and annoying noise coming from your gauge, I learned this the hard way. I fixed it by running 6 feet of nylon tubing from the VP44 coiled it up and zip tied the bundle together, then used a connector and attached it to Stainless Steel line inserted into a polyurethane tube all the way up to your fuel pressure gauge. Also make sure you use conduit where the nylon tubing is rubbing on anything.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah it makes a noise like if the engine was running inside the gauge. how do i fix that. i have -4 braided hose going from a ss fitting to the gauge inside the cab. whats an easy fix without using plastic tubing.

·
Registered
382 Posts
When a tapped banjo is used.. do you have to reprime the system before starting the engine again? or is fuel loss marginal?

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
with mine it started and stalled so i just kept cranking until it fired up that was a few secondes then it was a music!

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
use the taped banjo bolt and not the taps or fill cap . the banjo bolt or Schroeder valve is the only place you can get reading after the fuel filter . the glycerin filled gauge will stop needle shake but the copper line will make noise as stated , i use a snubber to eliminate this . a oil gauge installation kit has all fittings and tube except banjo bolt for $9 at auto zone. that idea of using one plastic line kit with a copper kit like stated above might be the quickest and cheapest way for you to go

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Or you could use this fitting on the fuel line running to the VP44, I probably use one of these in the near future because I do trust nylon tubing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts