Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok as you can see in my sig i drive a powerjoke BUT its up for sale so i can get a cummins. Ive decided to go with a 24v more than likely so i was wonderin what year i would want for the best hold up when running 450 500hp. It will be a 6 speed. Im just tryin to get as much research on them so i get the right year and stuff the first time. Thanks

·
Registered
435 Posts
Be Aware of the 53 block, they're found in dodge trucks a up untill '01 the 53 engine block is prone to crack between cyl. 5 and 6 on the pass. side of the block just below the freeze plugs. They're aren't very many of these blocks out there, and not all of them crack, I've heard of some pretty high HP trucks with these blocks and they're not having any problems. I've also known stock engines to crack, mine is cracked as we speak, with the mods in my sig.

I'll do some diggin' and tyr to find some more info for ya!

·
Registered
435 Posts

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Well unlike the powerstroke, all the cummins engines will hold 450-500hp easy, it just depends what you like more and what you want to buy to get there

·
Cummins Fanatic
880 Posts
6 speed is only available on an 01 or 02. 98.5-00 you can get a 5 speed.:thumbsup

·
Cummins Whisperer
796 Posts
I drive mine about 35-40k/yr with no problems so I'm partial to the '02....:thumbsup

·
Registered
234 Posts
a 5 spd is a lot cheaper to rebuild if something goes wrong because the 6 spd in these trucks arent manufactured anymore

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok do i want a 5 or 6 speed guys? Now i might be able to find like an 01 without the 53 block right?

·
Banned
1,375 Posts
when you find a truck just check it for the 53. mines a 53 no crack. i dont know about the 6 speeds but id say if they dont make it any more dont buy it my .02 i dont thank you really need a 6 speed its just nice to have:thumbsup

·
Banned
1,375 Posts
i thank the HOs are only like 10 or 15 hp more a comp box will give you more then that:thumbsup cant anser if there 5 speed

·
Registered
251 Posts
Props for switching over to the Cummins! You won't be disappointed at all! You may want to change your name after you get your truck too. Just a suggestion. Powerstrokes aren't looked at very kindly (with good reason).:thumbsup

·
Premium Member
2,347 Posts
from what Ive heard there is really no advantage of a 6spd over a 5 spd, the overdrive ratio is the same, the 6spd just has a extra gear in there somwhere so there not as big of a jump in ratios.

Yes the 53 blocks crack more often then other blocks do but all in all they don't crack that often, and if it cracks most of the time the crack can be fixed.

·
Cummins Fanatic
880 Posts
5 speed is not available in H.O

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok well i found an 01 5speed ext. cab shot box with 124,000 miles. They replaced the injection pump and lift pump, steering bar for $13000 what do you guys think about that.

·
Banned
1,375 Posts
pics pics pics and is it a 53 block?

·
Cummins Fanatic
880 Posts
Ok well i found an 01 5speed ext. cab shot box with 124,000 miles. They replaced the injection pump and lift pump, steering bar for $13000 what do you guys think about that.
Sounds like a good deal to me! Although I didn't see what it looks like. I have found that it is kinda hard to come across 5 and 6 speeds. I think I'd buy it if its in decent shape

1 - 20 of 54 Posts