Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First few days of driving my 99 24v 5 spd out of limp mode and it seems to run better/smooth/good but low power, not anything like it was before in limp mode but no pull from the turbo. Getting very low readings on the boost gauge but i do hear the turbo screaming like it should. I dont know much about these trucks turbo systems yet but now i want to learn. Any ideas? Im going to go drive it around for a bit and check for boost levels in 3rd gear pulls and ill also monitor my EGT's and post back.

What boost levels do you all see in these trucks? FYI my smarty tune is on #2 and i have an intake and straight 4 inch exhaust.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your damn right its time hahaha. Was just thinking that, if the turbo is screaming and low boost it cant be getting to the engine.

Im seeing 0-5 psi from what i remember last night. About to go to lowes and ill keep a close eye on things.

Now 1 more thing, not sure how you all setup your boost gauge tap and how the WG is supposed to be hooked up but my setup which is from before i had the truck, there is a T coming out of the turbo comp housing, one side is going to boost gauge and other side directly to WG actuator. Does this sound correct?

·
Registered
340 Posts
manifolds are bad for cracking could be a cracked and loosing boost

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ic hose popped off at ic. Reinstalled properly and seeing 20-22 psi during 3rd and 4th gear pulls. Really lovin this thing right now. Just ordered new hitch, cant wait to see what its like with some weight behind it.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thats another question i had, how are these WG's adjusted if from what i see there is no adjustment. Just the boost pressure line going to the WG. Do people put a BC in line of some sort?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ahhhh ok i get it. To fool the WG. Now being on this topic whats a safe boost level to run w/o fear of the HG/head bolts/etc.

Also i have noticed smoke wise just a little black smoke b/w shifts. Is that ok or is it ideal to have some black smoke in the higher boost levels? Only reason i ask is because in perf. gas engines i always try to be on the richer side of things to be safe and i understand in a diesel when rich you get the smoke.

·
Registered
13,340 Posts
Rich with diesel means hot.

If your motor is in good nic then you will not have issues blowing the headgasket on a stock turbo unless you are running way more fuel than the turbo can handle. The number that typically gets thrown around is ~40psi, but honestly I wouldn't pay much mind to that number since there is a lot more that blows head gaskets rather than just boost. When you trucks starts being upgraded to the point of a bigger turbo then start looking for head studs.

The hx35 is good to ~35 psi. Above that you are out of the map for the turbo and not doing anything other than blowing hot air.

Reason you are seeing black smoke between shifts is because you loose boost between shifts. Without air you cannot burn the diesel therefore you get black. No real issues with that. Typically you will see all black smoke go away when you start to make some boost pressure. You shouldn't see any when your higher in the boost levels unless you are running more fuel that your turbo can handle.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Very interesting and good to know. Now with a boost elbow you will be creating more boost of course, a lot more by the sounds of it so to adjust for it what are people doing, using an edge or quad etc....to increase fuel settings? Or does the factory management adjust fuel for these higher boost levels?

·
Registered
13,340 Posts
The smarty should allow for fueling at higher boost levels since it does boost fooling.

Adjust the boost elbow to about 35 psi and call it good. You might need more fuel to get that high, but it doesn't hurt anything to have it set to 35.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.