Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys Im buying a 2001 Dodge 2500 4x4 and Im trying to find the Block casting Number to see if its a 53 block or not Im having problems finding the number. is there any way to find out beside looking at the casting number. I have the truck at the house now and let it cool down and going to go look again with a light and take the wiring harness off and see if i can find it easier.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well On 53 Block the Numbers I got r M9 A09JOA 28C 1 3 So Im guessing the 28C it the Casting Number .

·
Registered
253 Posts
driver's side, front of tire, front/right side of block, look from underside putting your head were you shouldn't if your parked on a down hill!

there will be a big "53" just infront of the puke tube

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Mutch79 I was Checking at the Front of the block ( I have a Diesel power mag and it was saying its driver side front on the block ) thats were i was looking I had to unbolt a clamp that holds the wiring harness to see the numbers. (right below the injector pump )

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Clunk there is no casting number where the wiring harness goes its smooth as a babys butt. But I will check the other side when i get the truck. But I know the truck was built in mexico.

·
Registered
268 Posts
today while i was underneath my front end i noticed a fairly big 55 on the passenger front side... right above the oil pan and right around the corner from the front (if that makes sense)

i guess im not 100% sure if that number is something else but im assuming it means i've got a 55 block and not a 53...:party018:

anyways... might try looking there and see what u come up with

·
Registered
582 Posts
that is correct that would be a 55 block. The 53 is hard to miss if it is there. but some do not have a casting number in that location (all 53 blocks will)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Sounds like you are a lucky one. Check your passanger side in the same location as were you checked the driver's side. Let us know.

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
Yup, might have a heavy mexican block...lucky rascal.

My 55's are right where Stamey described.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey guys Thanks Im waiting for the dealship to get done with the Front seal in the Axle and The A/C Im hoping to get it today and I got a good Degreaser and Im going to Clean The Engine Bay and the Frame and I will Check the Passanger side and see if there a casting Number.

·
Registered
440 Posts
If you already committed to buy it, then why bother finding out? If I was buying and had a choice between two trucks of the exact same condition and price, one with a 53 block and one that wasn't, then yeah, it would make me go with the non 53... But if it meant paying significantly more for it, or getting a beat up truck because it wasnt a 53 I wouldnt. If I already owned the truck, i wouldnt worry about it either. If it cracks, it cracks. If it doesn't, it doesnt. But if you now find you have a 53 theres not much you can do about it other than get nervous and worry.

Reactions: dozer12216

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well BOOSTEDONE I would like to know what block I have and If its a 53 block I can go ahead and start looking for a new block and start building the new motor like i want and just wait for the old block to crank. Because I would hate to not have a new motor ready and the one in the truck cranks because I did not take 5mins and check for a little number on the block and be blind sided later.

Because if the block is a 53 why would spend a ton of money on the motor and I know the block is going to crank .

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
I'd check to be sure before any money changes hands.
If the truck is so nice you're willing to risk the block then the #53 block issue is a point to dicker price on...maybe a $2000 break.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Im betting the Block is not a 53. Because I looked on the other side first and did not see anything. I'll get the truck tomorrow and Im going to double check the Block because i do not want to spend the money on upgrades if I have to start looking for a new block.

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
If I look over my passenger side battery and see the air conditioning compressor, I can see 55 cast on my block just rear of the air conditioning compressor. There's some wiring hiding one of the 5's but is easily moved with a stick to see both 5's.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok Clunk I will check it out tomorrow. Im going to be cleaning the whole engine bay and under body good tomorrow. If the truck is ready.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.