Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,866 Posts
Nice build, we'll help you anyway we can to make it a great build.

Reactions: PsychopathHenchman

·
Super Moderator
23,866 Posts
In your spare time read through some of the other 24v swaps and maybe you can get some questions answered. The 12v swaps are the most common but there are the 24v's also.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I've got a 1933 Dodge that I'm still in the planning stages of. Mine has the factory suicide doors. I also purchased four sedan car doors as I plan to turn mine into a crewcab. My first word of advice is measure everything (engine, axles, truck width, length, ect, ect.....) to get a feel of where things should fit. I say "should" because these trucks are tiny. I am planning on widening mine to give me more room. The cab will be pushed back and will get a 3 piece hood. I've seen pictures of two of these trucks with 5.9's in them and they eat up a lot of foot room inside the cab. I think I'm going to build my own frame because the shape of the truck doesn't lend itself to putting it on another newer chassis. Plans right now are to put a 2005 5.9 in it with a 4r100. If I can find the space I would love to put a set of small triple turbos on it just for the wow factor. I plan on running leaf springs on the front and original "style" steering because I want all the room I can get up front for a radiator and intercooler.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've got a 1933 Dodge that I'm still in the planning stages of. Mine has the factory suicide doors. I also purchased four sedan car doors as I plan to turn mine into a crewcab. My first word of advice is measure everything (engine, axles, truck width, length, ect, ect.....) to get a feel of where things should fit. I say "should" because these trucks are tiny. I am planning on widening mine to give me more room. The cab will be pushed back and will get a 3 piece hood. I've seen pictures of two of these trucks with 5.9's in them and they eat up a lot of foot room inside the cab. I think I'm going to build my own frame because the shape of the truck doesn't lend itself to putting it on another newer chassis. Plans right now are to put a 2005 5.9 in it with a 4r100. If I can find the space I would love to put a set of small triple turbos on it just for the wow factor. I plan on running leaf springs on the front and original "style" steering because I want all the room I can get up front for a radiator and intercooler.
I finally got the truck to my shop from Montana.
You are correct, the truck is much smaller than I anticipated.
your project sounds awesome too, I cannot wait to see how it comes out.
I’m in the beginning stages of stripping mine down and am shocked at how rust free it is. For sitting in a barn in Washington state since 1951, I would think it would have a lot more cancer, it has none!
Vehicle Tire Motor vehicle Car Wheel

Tire Wheel Cloud Sky Vehicle

I plan to use the original frame if possible. I’m going to box the entire frame. The front leaf springs are only 36” long and getting a spring that short to support the weight of a Cummins would be miserably stiff I’m afraid so I’m contemplating using dual rate coil overs in the truck.
I know the interior will be tight but with some small buckets moved as far back as possible, I think it will be fine. we shall see. I’m hoping to get all the body panels to the wet blaster in the next few weeks and get them in primer then have the frame stripped down and sand blasted to begin the boxing.
The stock 2500 axles seem like they will work fine, especially if I end up running dually wheels.
Thank you for the responses, I will keep this post updated for anyone who cares to follow it.

Earle

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
there is a video of a guy building a 4 door 12v on YouTube, have you seen it?
I wish there was more-updates.
I hate the box he built for the turbo/ exhaust into the firewall. I worked for an off-road race company for many years then owned a machine shop for 6 years. My brother in law builds super high end show cars for a living. I will build/ fabricate whatever I need to make this build epic.
if I have to build my own header and relocate the turbo, so be it, that firewall in the video is just too hideous...

·
Registered
124 Posts
My original plan was to run four link or radius rod front suspension. But the steering box would either be where the radiator needs to be when inside the frame rail or the steering shaft would run outside the hood side and into the fender when outside the frame rail. I'm curious to see your solution.

Yes the leaf springs are short! I was hopping to find a 3/4 or 1 ton spring that was close but no luck yet. Im going to try stretching out the front spring hangers a bit and running an asymmetrical spring as well to add length in the back of the axle. Once I get to that point I'll talk to a few spring companies and see what my options are.

At the moment I think Im going to widen the front frame horns about 4". My main concern is to make sure the proportions of the truck doesn't get messed up. Stock it already looks like it has a mild chop done to the cab. I don't want to exaggerate that and make it look severely chopped by widening it. So there is a possibility that I might have to add height to the cab roof. It means more metal work but it also adds more head room inside. My main goal is to make sure I don't end up with something that looks like the truck in the attached picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for the pics... the yellow truck looks nice, I don’t really care for the style though.

I like the look of the dodge because it already looks chopped compared to some of the others of this vintage.
I was contemplating suicide doors just fir the coolness factor but I think I’m just going to leave them, for now anyway.
If you widened your cab a bit, the chopped look might be awesome.

we began discussing steering this evening but have no idea yet how that’s going to work.
I’ll let you know when I figure something out.

·
Registered
124 Posts
That is basically the look I'm going after with my truck. The only difference is I'm going with 20" Detroit steel wheels company 8 lug wheels with probably 37" tires. I want to run their tim rings and plain stainless '50 mercury hubcaps. Then have some badges with the old dodge logo made and put on the caps. If you look up "desert power wagons" on YouTube you'll find videos of that truck and others that company has built.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Here is a power wagon from legacy power wagons. I'm trying to avoid running a second radiator like this truck at all cost. That's why i'm so adamant about having as much space for cooling up front as possible. I want to have the ability to do some light to mild towing with my truck as well. Other reasons besides adding cabin room for widening my truck is more surface are for a radiator and to run a mechanical fan. I've read about some swaps not working so well with electric fans.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
that power wagon is sick AF!

I decided the other day that I was gonna go all 4 corners with king coilovers triangulated 4 link. Attempting to find leaf springs that will work seems like a nightmare and it will probably end up riding/ handling like ****. I will ad bags in the back for towing.
the main problem I’m seeing like you’ve stated is placement of many components. There is not much room for an inter cooler so I might end up going to water with a descent size reservoir for capacity. I’ve found 4 core aluminum radiators online that are made for this vintage of truck but I’m not sure it will be enough. I might need to add an extra remote radiator if I run into any cooling issues. I’ll tackle those obstacles when I get there. The first step is to get the axles under it, set the engine in and begin measuring everything.
I have the old truck stripped to a rolling chassis and the Cummins truck in my shop getting all the goodies stripped out. The 35 cab is in amazing shape!! Absolutely zero cancer/ body rot! It’s going to wet blasting in the next week or two then I’ll get some primer on it.

here is one with a 12v and it appears to have a mechanical fan. No intercooler...
I just don’t know what they were thinking when they did the back like that, it’s one of the most hideous things I’ve ever seen!

where it is now-
Sky Wheel Daytime Tire Ecoregion

Motor vehicle Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Wheel

Automotive tire Wood Motor vehicle Gas Pollution

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Hood Automotive lighting

·
Registered
581 Posts
Subbed. I love this stuff

Reactions: PsychopathHenchman

·
Registered
124 Posts
My cab has a little rust but nowhere near as much as the other vehicles I see of this vintage. I don't get a whole lot of time to work on mine at the moment. I currently watch my daughter in the mornings before I go to work. Next school year she will be going to pre-k so that will open up a few hours evey morning during the week.

If you don't mind can you post up pictures of your mock ups as well? I might be able to get some ideas from pictures.

Edit: have you thought about running the steering box behind the axle? I've got some random pictures saved on my phone of this steering system that I can post if you are interested. I don't want to post them if not because I've already muddied up your thread enough as it is.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts