Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

24 Valve KDP?

3188 Views 5 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  Dieselmann6207
Thanks to the many informative posts on Cummins Forum, I killed my KDP on my recently purchased 1996 12V within a week of purchasing it.

I have a fishing buddy, however, you owns a 1998.5 24V who feels his engine is immune to the 'KDP disease'. His response being, "Yeah, I heard that's a 12V issue only." Apparently, someone at Dynamite Diesel Performance, where he has always had his service work done, told him that they have not seen any KDP problems relating to the 24V Cummins.

Just like with his fishing boat, this guy has dumped a ton into his 24V for upgrade$. I'd hate to see his prized 24V Cummins become his new boat anchor! :shock:

What would YOU tell a friend with a 24V? :confused013:

Regards,

Steve
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
725 Posts
if its early 98.5 he proly isn't imune, i believe they used the same timing cases until they ran out of them.

· Registered
217 Posts
yes play it safe and check and fix the kdp in the 24v. its not worth the risk of not checking it. it may not be likley but the chance is still there

· Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Same timing cases?

...as I understand, with Cummins using the same timing cases as the 12 Valves in their early production years of the 24V [up to 2002], why then is it less likely for a KDP fiasco to occur with a 24 Valve? :confused013:

Yes, I agree that it is indeed an unlikely event to have a KDP fall out and destroy your engine. Like others have commented, my pin had also not budged when I tabbed mine.

Then again...I have never had a house fire in over 35 years. Should I therefore deem it an 'unlikely event' and just forget about fire insurance? Hmmm...

· Registered
217 Posts
...as I understand, with Cummins using the same timing cases as the 12 Valves in their early production years of the 24V [up to 2002], why then is it less likely for a KDP fiasco to occur with a 24 Valve? :confused013:

Yes, I agree that it is indeed an unlikely event to have a KDP fall out and destroy your engine. Like others have commented, my pin had also not budged when I tabbed mine.

Then again...I have never had a house fire in over 35 years. Should I therefore deem it an 'unlikely event' and just forget about fire insurance? Hmmm...
:agree2:well said, i would just play it safe and tab it

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.