Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a week ago I replaced my crank postion sensor and it cured all my problems(rough idle, dead tac, cutting out). After my truck ran completely normal. Now the past two days when I go to start my truck it will fire up and then die. I crank on it for about 15 seconds and it finally fires and runs normal. I am not having any other problems other than this starting problem. no codes. It acts like it has lost prime over nite??. Any help is greatly appreciated. It also has a new lift pump so Im thinking one of my fuel lines could have a small pin hole?

thanks

·
Registered
213 Posts
You sound like your on the right track. A friend of mines 24v did this for a while and he found a loose fuel line that would loose prime after it was sitting for a while. Soooo.... Check all your Fuel Lines?

·
Mark Ward
836 Posts
Double check everything. Could be aloose line. BUT mine was doing that and it was the VP

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
There is more than one injection type for the 24 valve. I'll answer as if you have a 98.5-02 (VP44). Filling out your signature line would help avoid such confusion.

One of the OEM pumps I had on my 98.5 (before I gave up on OEM pumps) lasted less than a week. I could still hear it running but it did not move the needle on my fuel pressure gauge. Your truck may be running on the diaphragm pump in the VP44 which can mask the low/no input pressure problem long enough to kill the VP44. I strongly recommend that you get a fuel pressure gauge (or at least a low pressure light-a gauge is much better for diagnostics) and ensure that you don't starve your VP44.

·
Mark Ward
836 Posts
There is more than one injection type for the 24 valve. I'll answer as if you have a 98.5-02 (VP44). Filling out your signature line would help avoid such confusion.

One of the OEM pumps I had on my 98.5 (before I gave up on OEM pumps) lasted less than a week. I could still hear it running but it did not move the needle on my fuel pressure gauge. Your truck may be running on the diaphragm pump in the VP44 which can mask the low/no input pressure problem long enough to kill the VP44. I strongly recommend that you get a fuel pressure gauge (or at least a low pressure light-a gauge is much better for diagnostics) and ensure that you don't starve your VP44.
:agree2::agree2:

·
Registered
184 Posts
before you do too much work i would make sure the sensor and the wires going to it have a good connection. Then check for pinholes, etc. Not sure how to test the vp44s, ive cosigned on one but never really owned a 24 valve :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts