Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be hauling all my household goods from Alaska to Ohio this summer. I have a 24' bumper pull enclosed cargo trailer, and the truck in my sig with the factory towing package. Combined weight empty is 11,000 lbs, I'm guessing the truck weighs about 7K, and the trailer 4k. The trailer is a tandem axle w/ 5200lb axles, the GVWR for the trailer is 10,000lbs. I'm guestamating that I have about 4K lbs of stuff to haul, bringing the total of the trailer to aprox 8K lbs. I have a couple questions. 1. will the stock receiver do? 2. Will I need weight distribution bars? and 3. Airbags? I am distributing the weight evenly, and putting the heavy stuff over the axles so I don't know if the last question can even be answered. Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
Truck should pull it without a problem. It really isn't heavy enough that I would put airbags on it. Those hitches are rated for towing 10,000 lbs. So except for piece of mind I would worry about it.. Just load her up and get a pulling that is a long trip...

·
Registered
993 Posts
I would run weight dist. bars to be safe. That long of a trip who knows what kind of things will come up. Make sure your truck is liscensed to carry the weight of the trailer tongue. Not sure what the laws are up there though. I cant wait till I can go back to Alaska. Up there for our honeymoon and didnt want to come back.

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
You will be fine with your stock set up. A bit of advice though would be to load the trailer heavier in the nose. This will reduce the amount of fishtailing . Secondly, and of equal importance is to be sure your trailer is level with the truck when loaded. This can be accomplished with an adjustable hitch (up or down). It is important because being level distributes the weight evenly between the two trailer axles. And air the tires to the max pressure as indicated on the sidewall of the tire.

Sorry if it sounded like preaching.

·
Registered
13,678 Posts
Put a weight distribution hitch on it. load the trailer so its 60/40% weight from front to rear. The distribution hitch will keep the backend of the truck up so no air bags are needed. I would also add a friction sway bar.

·
Premium Member
1,023 Posts
I pull an all steel 7'x25' tandem axle enclosed snowmobile trailer and is just over 8' tall from the ground to the top of the roof. My trailer is really tongue heavy. I've had a 600lb snowmobile on the back edge of the trailer deck with the rear door down and I still can't budge the tongue up at all. I use weight distributing bars and a anti-sway bar which helps a lot. I'm guesstimating my trailer weight empty about 3500lbs and have had about 3000lbs of snowmobiles in it. My truck has a hitch installed from the factory and I've had no problems pulling that trailer with it at all. Actually, I use the same hitch sled pulling and the sled with the weight is around 40k. One thing I will suggest, is get a set of Enkay Rock Tamers. Thery are about $200, but man are they nice!! They will keep the front of your trailer from getting all beat to crap from the road debris and rocks. Especially the rocks, if you have to travel that gravel road through Canada that I hear so much about. We did a Caribou hunt in northern Quebec a few years ago and traveled 460 miles of a gravel road, which was made from crushed river rock, that took us to the end of the line which was darn near Nwefoundland/Labrador. Two of the guy's work for GM and got us two brand new Suburban's to go up there with. The one I was in, and unfortunately I was driving, got the back window blown out from a rock bouncing off the front of the trailer and coming back at it. We ended up cutting down small Hemlocks and tying them to the front of the trailers to keep the rocks from getting the other Suburban's window and basically destroying the back of the trucks. We could only go about 40-45mph. What a long ride on that road.
We saw big fuel tankers and other supply rigs flying down the road. They looked a little stupid because they had wide, long, thick mud flaps behind every axle to keep the rocks down, but they work. I use mine in the winter pulling my trailer and it keeps the front of it pretty clean. Before, it would get a foot thick and sometimes be all slush then freeze solid. Only once it got so bad we could not even get the front drop down door open. Never again:thumbsup!!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice guys, I think I'll look into weight distribution bars, and sway bars. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Lots of good advice here, John. I regularly pull a 24` V nose about 1200 miles round trip and loaded at about your weight or a little more for the first leg. All I use is the factory hitch and with no problems. Weight distribution and tire pressure are the main ingredients. You should have no problems with the stock setup.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lots of good advice here, John. I regularly pull a 24` V nose about 1200 miles round trip and loaded at about your weight or a little more for the first leg. All I use is the factory hitch and with no problems. Weight distribution and tire pressure are the main ingredients. You should have no problems with the stock setup.
Thanks, that's good to hear. I'm just a little worried because it's about 4300 miles, and alot of it is on the ALCAN through mountains and what not.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Make sure you have 2 spares for the trailer, and a block or tire buddy so you can change a tire if needed. And of course the right lug wrench for the trailer lugs. Have a safe trip.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I always tow with an equalizer hitch, it will also take a lot of the bounce out of the road, frost heaves etc, trailer should be level, I tow up to a 10,000 pound travel trailer with the hitch that came with my tow package on my 06, works great. never used an anti sway bar yet thought.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Where you headed in the Buckeye? And more importantly, WHY?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Where you headed in the Buckeye? And more importantly, WHY?
Well I'm from Newark so we're heading back somewhere around there. As for why, I've been up here for 6 years and the winters and being away from family is getting old.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
O. Cool! welcome home!!

·
Registered
565 Posts
From my own stupidity, make sure you have a spare tire for your trailer. I now carry a jack, air compressor, impact gun and torque wrench.

you never know when this will happen :lol3:

Attachments

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah I got a spare, gonna get one more. And I'll have all my tools, along with everything else I own. Thanks for the input guys.

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
check the hubs for grease too. never want a hub on the trailer to catch on fire on you.. Just another personal experiance talking. good luck with your trip!

·
Registered
5,990 Posts
Make sure you have 2 spares for the trailer, and a block or tire buddy so you can change a tire if needed. And of course the right lug wrench for the trailer lugs. Have a safe trip.
Yeah, for that drive I'd say 2 spares for the trailer and 2 for the truck. My brother in law just made the drive from Alaska back to Minnesota in his 2004 CTD towing his 26' enclosed trailer and he blew out both front tires during the drive, and they were new BFG all terrains.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts