Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
I really need to get a 12v tune. Currently, the truck has EFI live by Firepunk and has their standard 5 tunes. However, they said they could replace one of the tunes with a 12v tune if I took it up there. They claim that their testing has shown no difference in mileage, which is fine because my main reason would be to make the injectors last longer. I know my truck won’t ever get near what you guys are doing since it’s lifted on 35s but I’d like to try to get more than the 15 or so it currently gets. I’m hoping to see an increase with summer weather and fuel. I’d like to get working on replacing the engine sensors too.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
After chucking a 24v I cherish the quieter,smoother '07 I have. I heard a 12v tune the other day and it reminded my of my old '98.5.
I miss my old 24v. If I could get a mega cab 24v truck I’d have done that in a heartbeat. Just the reliability and cheaper maintenance was fantastic. You could get a whole set of injectors, really nice ones rated for big power, for less than $1k.

I do like my mega cab though. The ease of changing the switch to go up and down in power levels is very nice and just the tuning has a lot more power than my 2nd gen ever had.

The only reason I’d be looking to use a 12v tune is to save the injectors. If I can get them to last a lot longer that would be great. I also wouldn’t be interested if I couldn’t switch off of it with the flip of the switch to go back to a standard 3rd gen tune.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Good info right there! Since both of my 12v tunes were locked, I'll never know how they were tuned.

My EFI Live 12v tune was not as cold natured as the MM3 Rob 12v.
EFI Live would start and run rough when the temp was below 30F. I stopped using this tune until ECT was above 100. It was smoker than the MM3 12v tune.

MM3, Rob, 12v tune automatically runs in 3 event until ECT is above 90F. Rob claims he has the "most" 12v tune out there. I don't know what that means. This 12v tune doesn't start smoothly even when the truck is hot. I start in a 3 event then switch over to 12v. When ECT is below 130 or so, 12v tune rattles. I don't hammer, if ever lol, when the truck is not warmed up on a 12v tune.

When switching from 3 event to 12v my boost gauge drops about 2 psi on the 12v tune. I haven't logged and compared 3 event to 12v tunes yet.

We will have a sample of 1, my truck, to compare how long OEM injectors last with ATF/2SO and a 12v tune! :D
So, were you able to have Rob’s 12v tune flashed into one of the tune slots for your EFI live without changing the others or did you have to buy the whole tune package from him?

Reactions: Alcharger

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
All things equal, how much are MPGs influenced by ambient temperature? I understand there are a ton of variables and other factors also described in @steve05ram360 various posts, but if you were to take a ballpark guess, would you say 20 degrees make a difference? This morning I ran 300 miles round trip, mostly cruise control @70 (2050 RPMs or so, 4.10 diff), and I seemed to have gotten a 1 mpg difference between the legs. 18 vs 17 mpg. Only material difference was temp at 70F when I left at 6 AM and 85 F when I returned around noon. I know it is too short of a trip to really put too much weight on it, but since turbos like cooler denser air, I figure there is some impact. Or is the difference inmaterial unloaded at those RPMs making 7-8 PSI of boost with EGTs between 7-8k?

PS: Pardon if this has been already discussed but could not find a reference after limited searching
I might be crazy, but I think you have 3.73s. I’m pretty sure 4.10s run much higher at 70.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts