Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a 100 mile test on the PA turnpike (rolling hills).

Overhead: 37 MPG (HAHAHA)
Hand Calc: 22.7

Speed = 67 MPH, cruise control for 95% of it.

PMT Power Setting: Extreme

-----

Now, if I drive like a retard (fast starts, 80 mph) and some City, plus lower speed highway driving, I still got almost 18 MPG hand calculated.

I LOVE IT!!!!! And that's with the G56, Long bed, quad cab.

·
Registered
390 Posts
That's very promising! I am in Idaho and Montana a lot and the speed limit is 70-75mph, most drive faster, i wonder what kind of milage you would get at those speeds?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Regearing would probably be wise. I was running like 2500 RPM @ 80.

I'm not in a huge hurry, so ~70 is fine for me.

Just for comparison sake, my average MPG was always around 16.5, although lately had be more into 17s. ONCE I got 17.7 which was a shock. So this is a 5+ MPG increase.

BTW, 2nd gear is almost pointless on 'extreme'. Too short, and 3rd seems okay. Not sure I want to put the added stress on the clutch though. I just start her rolling, then hammer it.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Wow you are like the first 6.7L to get them numbers out of the thousands that have been sold.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Thats pretty good, I can't wait to see what I'll be getting out of mine once I do some deletes to it.

·
Vendor
8,480 Posts
if the 6.7L tank is anything like the tank on my 04.5 it is hard to get accurate mileage. After the fuel pump clicks it will take another 3-4 gallons if i nurse it. Its not like my 2001 which I can see the diesel pool up at the top of the filler neck. at 100miles @20mpg 0.5 gal discrepancy can mean 18 or 22mpg.

Hope the DPF delete continues to work well. please continue to report.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I always refil the same. You can only sneak an extra gallon in there if you try really hard. (At least on mine). I use the slow fill, then after it shuts off I'll pull the nozzle and slowly fill again until it foams up a few times.

Like I said though, I still got 18 MPG driving like a bat out of hell ;) With as dark as my tailpipe got, and as much smoke as I was leaving, I was surprised!!

·
Retired Engineer
557 Posts
My average is 19-20 MPG running a a nominal 60 MPH. I fill my self and make sure it is right up every time.

·
Registered
708 Posts
17-19 Mpg....

·
Registered
325 Posts
16-19 highway.....65mph

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,055 Posts
I got the same as Avid on a highway trip. 22 MPGs @ 65. When I went 75 it dropped to 19 MPGs.

Normal driving in the city only gives me 17 MPG

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
Alright you guys, its all great and fine to see all these great numbers on your fuel mileage and what mods your doing it with and what tranny and all; but when you leave off your signature what gear ratio you have in the axles its kind of a let down for some of us that have suffered for so long with such poor fuel mileage...

·
Registered
6,638 Posts

-----

Now, if I drive like a retard (fast starts, 80 mph) and some City, plus lower speed highway driving, I still got almost 18 MPG hand calculated.

I drive from New Stanton exit to Reading exit @65 MPH on cruise, round trips, and I have a best so far of 19.3 on paper. Overhead shows just over 20. I only have just over 8,000 miles so far. I feel it will only improve from there.. :beer:beer:beer

·
Registered
419 Posts
i see similar milage @70. i average 20-22. you can see what i had to do to tget that in my sig. my over head will read as high as 28 sometimes

·
Registered
708 Posts
I drive about 800 miles a week mostly hwy, all stock and I try to drive the speed limit, 70-75 mph on the hwy

·
Registered
265 Posts

-----

IF YOUR OVERHEAD DISPLAY ACTUALY SAID 37MPG! THEN TAKE IT TO THE DEALER THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG IT SHOULD NEVER BE OFF BY THAT MUCH!

·
Registered
155 Posts
16.7 mpg freeway mostly. 75 mph usually...

·
Registered
175 Posts
Just got back off of vacation. Drove from wyoming to ohio and back. got avg of 23-24mpg doin 70. Even got 38pmpg from cheyenne wyoming to sheridan wyoming with a 60mph tail wind :)

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
IF YOUR OVERHEAD DISPLAY ACTUALY SAID 37MPG! THEN TAKE IT TO THE DEALER THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG IT SHOULD NEVER BE OFF BY THAT MUCH!
Um, it's got a program in it ;)

No way in hell am I taking it to the dealer. I have no EGR or DPF. My ECM is beyond the calibrations for the MPG calculation...that's all.

:beer

1 - 19 of 19 Posts