Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to ptu biiger wheels on my truck. it has a 5.5 inch lift on it. what is the biggest I can go??, i was also thinking about putting semi tires on it but the are 42 inch wide all together, woudl that be to big??

·
Registered
434 Posts
many people have switched to running 22.5" Alcoas or American force wheels. The tires last forever, and look killer. The down side is that you can hardly pull a gooseneck trailer, and you can look to drop a cool $4000!!! 42" tall or wide??? you said wide, if this is so, your rears would be nearly 4 ft wide!! they usually only run 37" tall. Most kits come with a 10 lug conversion i believe.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I don't really understand your question on the 22.5s, but they will fit just fine. A 255/70 tire is 36" tall like Punchy said. As far as being to wide, you will be ok on that too.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I measuered our semi tires and all together with the tires they are 42 inches tall. What if I put a 6 inch lift on the trailer to?? I only haul a 24 foot goose neck. I am trying to decided on which tires to put on it. I want them big but not super huge, I still need to haul a trailer with it.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I would do like Performance then...check out his truck pics. You have to realize...42" tires are ridiculously huge for this kind of truck. They look awsome with the 36" tires. A guy here in town is running some that are about 38 or 40 inches, and there is no WAY he can pull a trailer. If someone wants that big, they might as well get a single wheel. Its already gonna be wishy washy pulling with 36"ers for a gooseneck.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I would think that even with a 5.5" lift, a 42" tall tire on the 22.5s will rub the control arms when turning. I know a 255/70 tire which is 36" tall, is close to rubbing even with a 6" lift.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Hey Justin...it shows on your Signature that you have a 2500? How did you run Alcoas if its a single wheel? I love the look of the 22.5" Alcoas, but i pull a 36' Sundowner, and it ways a ton when loaded. Im afraid of the clearance between the bed and tongue, and also the front wheels, and fender well. As You would know, some Rodeo grounds arent the most forgiving terrain, and i would hate to get some expensive body damage either in the bed/tailgate, or the front fenders.

·
Horseback Recluse
691 Posts
I do have a 2500. I have the 22.5" Alcoa floats which are made for SRW's. I only did the 2" leveling kit on the front end and the rear is stock with plenty of clearance. I don't know how much your trailer weighs but if you are concerned you could put some helper springs or air bags or hard rubber stops on the rear to help.

I see what you mean with the tongue and bed clearance. You should be able to adjust your tongue height though to accomodate to your truck but not sure how much.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I saw at the local drag strip a ram 2500 with semi tires on it, it had raised up the bottom of the front end 36" off the ground, with the weight being moved like that for these trucks, unless you were to get wider axles, it looked like that thing was just ready to fall over. Now of course the guy had a lift kit installed but that would also KILL your MPG.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I LOVE the look of the 22.5's but I would never run them. I had 19.5 steels with 245 tires on them (33.5") And they rode like crap! They looked good, and made my Mega Long not look so long.
They killed my fuel economy, were hard to stop, and killed my accelleration.
I would rather have the performance than the look.
I went back to stock dually, and although it looks whimpy, at least the ride is good, and it performs!!
I know I can't speak too much for the 22.5's since I have'nt run them. But I imagine they would be as bad or worse than my 150 lb steel 19.5's. Everyone I talked to with 19.5's raved about how great they were! Unfortunately most people are full of crap when they do a mod to their truck. They always brag about it, without telling you all the downsides to it. Then you go out and buy it misinformed.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I LOVE the look of the 22.5's but I would never run them. I had 19.5 steels with 245 tires on them (33.5") And they rode like crap! They looked good, and made my Mega Long not look so long.
They killed my fuel economy, were hard to stop, and killed my accelleration.
I would rather have the performance than the look.
I went back to stock dually, and although it looks whimpy, at least the ride is good, and it performs!!
I know I can't speak too much for the 22.5's since I have'nt run them. But I imagine they would be as bad or worse than my 150 lb steel 19.5's. Everyone I talked to with 19.5's raved about how great they were! Unfortunately most people are full of crap when they do a mod to their truck. They always brag about it, without telling you all the downsides to it. Then you go out and buy it misinformed.
Steel wheels are way to heavy even for 19.5s and tire pressures are key to a good ride. With the 22.5s as far as performance, it's a very little loss, MPG stayed the same as stock, and I have never had a problem with stopping them. Yeah, I agree there is difference from stock but the pros outweighted all the cons for me. I love them and would do it again in a heartbeat.:thumbsup I agree if you are wanting all performance then neither the 19.5s or the 22.5s are the best choices.

Oh yeah, I still run in the mid 10s in a 1/8 mile even with the 22.5 conversion. Also thats only with the 70hp towing module setup.:thumbsup

·
Registered
473 Posts
I ended up airing mine down to 40lbs on the rear and 55 on the front, even though they recommend not going below 60 psi. That helped a bit for ride quality. My exhaust brake brings me down to 10 mph pretty good, from 10mph to a stop you had to push the pedal pretty hard. Maybe with 4.10 gears it would be O.K. I would definately want to borrow a set from someone to try before I'd spend a whole lot of money again!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts