Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive had my truck for a few months. Runs and shifts perfect. I've been told that putting a chip on it will ruin a truck with this high of miles? (210,000) Any input would be great, don't want to make a bad move here.

Only mods are muffler/silencer ring delete and an intake..

·
Registered
97 Posts
I wouldnt do it but what kind of chip are you wanting to put on there?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haven't really decided yet, just wanting some opinions first.

·
Registered
97 Posts
my trucks got a 163k on it and its had a 100hp predator on it from the previous owner and it seemed to slip in overdrive not to mention my injector pump went too, warranty covered it, if you still have a stock fuel system i would recommend getting a psi gauge and maybe getting a push pump at least to help out that stock lift pump. just my two cents

·
Registered
181 Posts
Bombs away!
Heck it's just broke in,just better do something about that auto,like 0124v said.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
I wanna go fast...
3,471 Posts
I have seen the auto hold up to a Power puck, or a superchips...But I would not suggest more than a 50-60hp tune to keep your stock stuff in line. This is what I have seen and done...I put a puck on mine at 243k and went power hungry...Now I have trans problems with a 120+hp tune with the TST.

You will get to know your local tranny guy soon. No one starts BOMBing and stops at just one...

·
Registered
98 Posts
if its an automatic i wouldnt chip it until i got a tranny upgrade at least a torque converter and valve body i wouldnt worry about the engine at only 210k

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I would definitly recommend installing a pusher pump or fass system if you do so. :thumbsup It is never to late to mod youre truck! :peelout :beer

·
Registered
751 Posts
i got 265,000 i got the truck with 244,00 it has the edge comp box adds 120hp,350tq \No tranny problems so if your worried about hurting the engine with a programer good luck cause im yet to see it done but the tranny you should beef up if your going over 350 horsepower

·
Registered
258 Posts
Mine has 223,000 and I have been running a Hypertech. Mine is a 6spd so I don't know about the auto tranny. I don't think you will have to worry about the engine. The only issue I had was the stock lift pump kept losing pressure under heavy throttle. Get a fuel pressure gauge definitely and maybe a performance lift pump.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great forums, thanks for all the replys. I'm not worried about the motor, just the all original tranny with 210k on it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Talked to a diesel mechanic today who was also my High school auto mech teacher. He reccomended a super chip, or any chip under 75hp and it would be fine.

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
I wouldn't sweat it at all... BOMB the beast!

I got a buddy with a 1992 Dodge Cummins with 612K miles and we are now just turning up the VE pump. These engines are good for 1 million miles if taken care of properly! :thumbsup

1 - 14 of 14 Posts