Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently made the switch from a '08 F450 6.0 to a 2020 Ram 3500 tradesman crew cab DRW. My new truck has a 3.73 axle ratio with a 68RFE transmission. I tow 25,000lbs on a regular basis and had no idea a dually could be rated at only 20,000lbs MAX towing. Need to be able to tow my equipment.
Upgrades I have now are 7500lb bags. Seen some info about revmax but I'm not a gearhead. How can make the most of towing what I need to with this tradesman 3500?

·
Registered
18,421 Posts
Air springs won't make your 68RFE any stronger, or lower the gearing.
Sounds like you should've bought one with the Aisin and 4.10s instead, but changing the gear ratio will certainly help your current trans live longer.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
A hearty vote for 410 gears. I’ve had them in two duallies and they were amazing work horses. Maybe even lower for regular towing 25k.

Reactions: Jimmy N.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
A hearty vote for 410 gears. I’ve had them in two duallies and they were amazing work horses. Maybe even lower for regular towing 25k.
Found a shop that will do an Allison swap and regearing. Should I wait until warranty is done to have this changed?
Air springs won't make your 68RFE any stronger, or lower the gearing.
Sounds like you should've bought one with the Aisin and 4.10s instead, but changing the gear ratio will certainly help your current trans live longer.
I’m now well aware of which truck I should’ve purchased. An F450 would’ve been perfect from the start. Even comes with a bed unlike the 4500.

·
Registered
305 Posts
An F450 would’ve been perfect for the start. Even comes with a bed unlike the 4500.
There's little reason to choose an F450 pickup over an F350 or HO 3500 DRW. You're paying a ton of money for a ever so slightly beefier truck (and unless you're extremely abusive to your truck, not in any way that is worth paying for), whereas the Cab & Chassis F350, F450, and Ram 4500 are a more meaningful improvement in that regard. An aftermarket flatbed with stake pockets is also more useful than a pickup bed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently made the switch from a '08 F450 6.0 to a 2020 Ram 3500 tradesman crew cab DRW. My new truck has a 3.73 axle ratio with a 68RFE transmission. I tow 25,000lbs on a regular basis and had no idea a dually could be rated at only 20,000lbs MAX towing. Need to be able to tow my equipment.
Upgrades I have now are 7500lb bags. Seen some info about revmax but I'm not a gearhead. How can make the most of towing what I need to with this tradesman 3500?
Hi, I don't usually chime in on this forum, but registered just to reply to this thread. I have to pull about 20KLBS worth of equipment regularly, and a regular 6.7 with 3.73 gears won't cut it. I had a 2019 DWR with that setup and it wasn't even close to adequate. I traded the truck in for a 2020 HO with AISIN and 4.10 gears and the difference is night and day in my opinion. I'm even convinced the exhaust brake is stronger. I don't know as much about these trucks as a lot of people on here, but thought I might mention my experience since it's like a more or less direct comparison pulling the same weight with both trucks. I don't see the benefit of upgrading a 68RFE with all kind of performance stuff like that when they make an HO truck that is way safer and way more suitable for pulling that kind of weight. Trust me, it was a tough lesson to learn but I think people need to know that the difference in power between the two options is pretty substantial

·
Registered
18,421 Posts
Found a shop that will do an Allison swap and regearing. Should I wait until warranty is done to have this changed?
You should be able to change the gearing without affecting the warranty (except for on the gears), but I'd leave the trans alone for now.

I'm even convinced the exhaust brake is stronger.
Yes, the exhaust brake will be more effective with lower gears, just like the engine will.

And for the record, my (low output) C&C DRW with 3.37s pulls 25,000 quite well, plus its own 9,300 lbs.
That's being in the Rockies, not in Kansas, by the way.
Although, if I always had a full load on the trailer, 4.10s would be a better choice.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I am also wondering how hilly it is where you will be towing. I also agree with just changing gears and not the transmission. Like I said, I’ve had Dooleys with 410 gears and pulled 20,000 pound trailers just fine, including in the mountains, but for 25,000 pounds, regularly, I would think about going to 430s If they’re available.
Will you be on construction sites with soft dirt, sand, hilly etc? BTDT... There’s no such thing as too low of gearing for that.

·
Rear Admiral Rickard Onmi
9,141 Posts
there is no need to change the tranny, swap the gears to 4.10s and you'll be golden I've pulled 20k with my 3.43s on my 18. Do i know there's 20k back there? Yes. But so would any other truck. 4.10s would do it better, but the 3.73s would be better then my 3.43s.

It's silly how they advertise the max tow ratings, and then forget to mention you need the HO engine (not really) and the max tow package, which includes additional cooling and the 4.10 gears. But realistically just doing the 4.10 gears will get you there no problem

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You should be able to change the gearing without affecting the warranty (except for on the gears), but I'd leave the trans alone for now.
I’m waiting on a quote from ATS Diesel for the regearing now. Your feedback has been direct, informative, and simple. Thanks!
I am also wondering how hilly it is where you will be towing. I also agree with just changing gears and not the transmission. Like I said, I’ve had Dooleys with 410 gears and pulled 20,000 pound trailers just fine, including in the mountains, but for 25,000 pounds, regularly, I would think about going to 430s If they’re available.
Will you be on construction sites with soft dirt, sand, hilly etc? BTDT... There’s no such thing as too low of gearing for that.
I’m in Colorado and travel to New Mexico and Oklahoma a lot so the grades can be brutal.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
there is no need to change the tranny, swap the gears to 4.10s and you'll be golden I've pulled 20k with my 3.43s on my 18. Do i know there's 20k back there? Yes. But so would any other truck. 4.10s would do it better, but the 3.73s would be better then my 3.43s.

It's silly how they advertise the max tow ratings, and then forget to mention you need the HO engine (not really) and the max tow package, which includes additional cooling and the 4.10 gears. But realistically just doing the 4.10 gears will get you there no problem
New problem! No one has a gear kit for a 2020 3500 DRW. Nitro gear axle was my best bet and they got nothing. Any ideas?

·
Rear Admiral Rickard Onmi
9,141 Posts
do you have an 11.5 or 11.8 rear end? i honestly forget which one is on the new trucks, or did they move to a different axle? if no one else has dug up who to help you by morning i can try and dig a couple names up for you you can always try @Dude_57 or @cumminsdieselfreak They might be able to help out while i'm away from the computer

Push comes to shove, you could get Mopar gears, they are a factory option afterall. they'll just be overpriced.

·
Joe @ DDP Motorsports
1,426 Posts
do you have an 11.5 or 11.8 rear end? i honestly forget which one is on the new trucks, or did they move to a different axle? if no one else has dug up who to help you by morning i can try and dig a couple names up for you you can always try @Dude_57 or @cumminsdieselfreak They might be able to help out while i'm away from the computer

Push comes to shove, you could get Mopar gears, they are a factory option afterall. they'll just be overpriced.
Thank you!
I’m waiting on a quote from ATS Diesel for the regearing now. Your feedback has been direct, informative, and simple. Thanks!

I’m in Colorado and travel to New Mexico and Oklahoma a lot so the grades can be brutal.
I'd hands down do RevMax if it were my truck. Shoot me an email at [email protected] if you'd like to talk about your options!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)

I’ll check with mopar for the gears. They haven’t been my best source for upgrades to this truck. Had to get a 55 gallon replacement tank through titan and dodge couldn’t reflash the computer for the DTE calibration.
Thank you!

I'd hands down do RevMax if it were my truck. Shoot me an email at [email protected] if you'd like to talk about your options!
Thanks!

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
The email made the name make sense. Thank you for your service. Probably should pull that email from open forum though. Also if you determine you have an 11.5 I'd be interested to know what youd want for the 3.73s

1 - 20 of 36 Posts