Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading a lot on here about factory oil fill on my 2022 3500 Cummins. The dealer I bought it from says 5W30 for factory. Told him that cant be right. Another dealer told me today 15w40 - told him he was wrong because 19+ is different. He came back with 10w30 at factory. Cummins would not answer - said they were partnered with FCA and they would to answer. FCA said I had to get answers from dealer - told them I am getting different answers with ever phone call. I emailed FCA today - they emailed back that ll fluids are added at the dealerships :ROFLMAO:. So they push the truck on to transports and push them in to the shop? Is this some kind secret??? I have never seen such incompetence. All I want to do is have the same oil on hand to top off if I need to. Should not be this difficult. Unbelievable and very frustrated.

·
Premium Member
WV Ridge Runner
149 Posts
That’s terrible how you can’t get a straight answer from anyone. Most guess it’s got 5w-40 from factory. Respectfully, does it really matter what’s been filled at the factory? Follow the manual, most prefer 5w40 and for good reason. If you’re that concerned with keeping the same oil, do an early oil change with 5w40 or 10w30 and then you know what to keep on hand.

·
Registered
7,966 Posts
Who cares, drive it and follow the owner’s manual.
Not sure why this is such an issue.

·
Registered
7,966 Posts
Reactions: BoostingAZ

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
no. Heading out on an 6000 to 8000 mile trip tomorrow, just want to carry the same oil in case......

·
Registered
7,966 Posts
Have it changed, then you know what you have and you will have good sleeps apparently.
;)
Keep it simple

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have allways used Rotella T6 thats full synthetic 5w40 … Mopar oil is just rebranded oil , its not like there producing there own oil , like Toyota full synthetic is Mobil 1 in a black bottle with a Toyota label .

·
Registered
If I unplug two injectors, will it be a Cummins?
9,409 Posts
If you are headed out on a 6,000 mile trip, I would change it before that anyways. I wouldn’t take the factory oil more than 1,000 miles. Just me.

• Haha
Reactions: H3LZSN1P3R

·
Registered
If I unplug two injectors, will it be a Cummins?
9,409 Posts
Why its not break in oil even then that should be in for 3000 miles…
That’s why I said, Just me. 😂
I must not be a very trusting person. I’ve seen some weird stuff come out of the factory, I don’t trust them for a second.

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
That’s why I said, Just me. 😂
I must not be a very trusting person. I’ve seen some weird stuff come out of the factory, I don’t trust them for a second.
I do the same. Any new engine I like doing a few heat cycles, a few hard runs to seat the rings, change the oil and don’t look back. I changed the diff fluids as well after break-in and a couple hours towing. THAT stuff is always nasty from factory.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a '20 - 3500 w/ 46k miles and '22 - 2500 w/ 22k miles work trucks, using Rotella T6 on 10k intervals in the Arizona desert heat. No issues to date

1 - 20 of 25 Posts