• override - #13

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • Silver70 - #14

Votes: 4 7.0%
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Unregistered
26,372 Posts
If low miles matter, then this '82 AM General might qualify this month. And with an NHC 250 Cummins it could, even though it's a low output engine. And it does have an Allison, which should be worth a few points.
Tire Wheel Sky Combat vehicle Vehicle
Automotive tire Plant Font Gas Circle
Wheel Sky Cloud Vehicle Tire

I recently got it with most of the 2,021 miles already on it, and it's average speed has been quite low as the hour meter shows about 1,730.

It's now or never I guess, because if the theme was mileage, as in mpg, this one wouldn't stand a chance.
Not when they supposedly get around 3 mpg on a good day.

EDIT: Forgot to point out that the crane is also a rotator, making it that much more useful.
Oh, and the front winch is good for 20K lbs, the rear 45,000.
Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Cloud

·
Unregistered
26,372 Posts
Anyone else see the irony in this month's contest?

While it's supposed to be about odometers this month, steve05ram 360 has done tons of research and testing in his quest for better mileage, and posted many good threads accordingly. As a result, his Dodge gets impressive mileage.

Meanwhile, my M936 is probably at the very bottom of the Cummins mpg scale. Those claimed 3 mpg this one gets is probably based on on-road use in high range, but it's mostly used in low range in the dirt. Good thing it can be fed less expensive red diesel.

·
Unregistered
26,372 Posts
No, I realize that Steve. I just thought it was funny that one of the best mpg vehicles is now in battle with what might be the worst Cummins ever. At least in that respect.

·
Unregistered
26,372 Posts
I must humbly thank all fellow Cummins Forum members who voted. Especially those who voted for the M936, and naturally those who also voted early and often.

Special mention should go to the crew at Dominion that managed to take what would have been a well deserved victory from steve05ram360.

Also, what really sealed the deal is that Loki223 doesn't work on weekends, so he had no chance to straighten anything out.

But most surprising is that everybody took my word for it when saying that there's a Cummins under that heavy hood. Well, there is, and I'll post a photo of it later today.

Again, thanks all!

·
Unregistered
26,372 Posts
In theory the crane could be used to pull the engine "out of itself", as the crane turns 360 degrees. Of course, there's always a snag. Once the engine stops running, so does the PTO driven crane.

Luckily I have a couple of knuckle boom cranes, good for up to 8,000 lbs., which should be enough even for this NHC250.

·
Unregistered
26,372 Posts
As promised earlier, here's the NHC 250 in all its glory. A whopping 240 hp and 685 ft.-lbs. of torque.

All from a mere 14 liters. Or 855 c.i. if you prefer. Needless to say, it doesn't move the 40,000 lb. machine all that fast.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive exterior Car

Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Gas Auto part

·
Unregistered
26,372 Posts
Thanks, 7492.

I don't know about obvious, but apparently even the largest, heaviest, slowest, and worst mpg, Cummins can win something.

Reactions: 7492
1 - 7 of 7 Posts