Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.
Heard a lil about a possible new design quad cab and auto transmission for 2022.
What's up with a new cab? Make the rear seats larger? Extend the cab futher?
Would a new transmission replace the Aisin or just the 68?
Perhaps this is all rumour at this point?
Thanks for any thoughts on these.

·
Registered
489 Posts
The rumor of when Ram is swapping to a new cab has swirled since the 2019s came out.

General consensus is that eventually FCA will put the current 1500 cab on the HD Chassis. At that point a quad cab would be possible I guess, although I don’t see why they would offer it since they could have done that on the 4th Gen trucks and elected not to. I doubt they would offer any type of larger quad cab, as they already have the crew cab option. Some fear that by swapping to the 1500 cab that the Megacab option will go the way of the G56 transmission. Personally I want them to swap to the 1500 cab just so I can have the panoramic sunroof.

As for transmissions, hopefully FCA just offers onsolid transmission. No more of this HO vs SO and each having their own transmission nonsense. I know Allison and ZF are testing behind the Cummins. I’d rather see a ZF 8 speed myself, others want to see FCA match GM and Ford with their 10 speeds but that seems excessive in my opinion.

In any way, as soon as FCA offers a new transmission behind the Cummins and the panoramic sunroof option, I’ll be doing my first custom ordered vehicle. Until then, my 2016 is nice enough for me.

I doubt you’ll see anything new for 2022 model year. FCA needs to get production back up to pre-Covid before they go making massive changes to a 3 year old model in my opinion.

Reactions: habu987

·
hydraulic lifter crew
12,567 Posts
it will be several years before we see anything. maybe when / if the current 1500 5th gen gets a refresh. who knows at this point. there's so much pent up demand that they're going to follow the easiest path to revenue, whatever that may end up being.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I can confirm that ZF got the transmission deal with FCA. Allison was testing for the FCA bid but basically they were used as competition to drive down the cost of the ZF deal. The Allison in my opinion would have been a way better marketing strategy behind the Cummins but ultimately Allison is getting out of the consumer truck market and focusing on EV drive axles and commercial trucks.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great reply thank you.
What do you mean with the sunroof? The current 5th Gens have a sunroof available?
I didnt know the 1500's had a different cab. I dont know whats different with them?
Whats the big deal with a new tranny? Going to an 8 speed?
Thanks

·
Registered
113 Posts
transmission I only want a good manual transmission and sadly it too has gone the way of the dinosour by all the major players in full size trucks, sad.....

Reactions: boatdude12

·
Registered
755 Posts
I heard they're getting rid of the cummins since Ford owns cummins anyways... :LOL:

Reactions: Eric-07

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Given the year we have had and all the challenges I suspect that the 2022 will be the same truck as the 21. Maybe some changes in 2023?

Reactions: crazyrunner33

·
Registered
18,515 Posts
What do you mean with the sunroof? The current 5th Gens have a sunroof available?
I didnt know the 1500's had a different cab. I dont know whats different with them?
The new 1500 is a Gen 5, with a different cab, and sunroof. Meanwhile, the 2500/3500 basically got a nose job for '19, and are still Gen 4s...although some call them 4.5.

Reactions: chrisminx

·
Registered
210 Posts
The new 1500 is a Gen 5, with a different cab, and sunroof. Meanwhile, the 2500/3500 basically got a nose job for '19, and are still Gen 4s...although some call them 4.5.
I really like my nose jobbed 4th gen.

Heard Ford is doing a very limited run of MY22 trucks and MY23 will bring a big changeover for RAM and Ford. Likely be my 4th ordered truck at that point, but the interior on the Ford better get some serious updating otherwise it'll be another RAM for me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts