Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed the new Carli Level kit with Fox shocks today. The install was pretty straight forward. The instructions call for the Sway Bar, brake line clamps, and on 2019+ to disconnect the front drive shaft at the pumpkin.

We only disconnected the sway bar, and the brake line clamps/mounts. We found that the drivers side coil was easily installed but we had to work a little to get the drivers side coil in (they are driver passenger specific). If we had disconnected the track bar, the passenger coil would have went in easily - but its doable without disconnecting it, however, we would have disconnected it knowing what we know now!

Shocks were pretty straight forward on the install if yo have done shocks before. Took about 2 hours to install with moderate home garage Bsing.

The Ride:

The ride was greatly improved over the stock shocks. I really did not have to many complaints about the ride after lowering the pressure in all 6 tires after I bought it. The Fox shocks really smoothed out the ride and absorbed the road well. Took the freeway home and the uneven patched and bridge transitions were smooth and not noticeable.

In town the crater and washboard (best roads in southern Arizona) paved roads were smooth also. On my 2019 3500 SRW I had the BDS level kit which consisted of steel spacers and BDS shocks which greatly improved the ride also.

Between a level with spacers or no spacers - if you can spend the extra money the Carli is worth the money. Truck sits really level. The first pic is the before picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Installed the new Carli Level kit with Fox shocks today. The install was pretty straight forward. The instructions call for the Sway Bar, brake line clamps, and on 2019+ to disconnect the front drive shaft at the pumpkin.

We only disconnected the sway bar, and the brake line clamps/mounts. We found that the drivers side coil was easily installed but we had to work a little to get the drivers side coil in (they are driver passenger specific). If we had disconnected the track bar, the passenger coil would have went in easily - but its doable without disconnecting it, however, we would have disconnected it knowing what we know now!

Shocks were pretty straight forward on the install if yo have done shocks before. Took about 2 hours to install with moderate home garage Bsing.

The Ride:

The ride was greatly improved over the stock shocks. I really did not have to many complaints about the ride after lowering the pressure in all 6 tires after I bought it. The Fox shocks really smoothed out the ride and absorbed the road well. Took the freeway home and the uneven patched and bridge transitions were smooth and not noticeable.

In town the crater and washboard (best roads in southern Arizona) paved roads were smooth also. On my 2019 3500 SRW I had the BDS level kit which consisted of steel spacers and BDS shocks which greatly improved the ride also.

Between a level with spacers or no spacers - if you can spend the extra money the Carli is worth the money. Truck sits really level. The first pic is the before picture.
Looks really good! I get you on the roads, I'm in Tucson to.

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
Looks great, did they give you new alignment specs. The stock Ram specs suck.

Reactions: sstoner911

·
Registered
466 Posts
i can’t tell from the pics but did u also install their adjustable trac/panhard bar? that helps a done keeping ur axle centered and alignment correct

·
Registered
2021 Ram 3500 CC/LB 4X4 6.7 HO
539 Posts
Looks great, can't wait to get mine done. Thanks for the pic's and tips!

Reactions: sstoner911

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i can’t tell from the pics but did u also install their adjustable trac/panhard bar? that helps a done keeping ur axle centered and alignment correct
I did not. I have never installed an adjustable TB on a level kit.

I don't really think the 2.5" is enough to really justify the new track bar as the geometry isn't changed a lot.

Now lift kits are different, you really need a new track bar since you usually are lifting the truck more than 3".

The steering wheel is straight and ot tracks straight as well.

·
hydraulic lifter crew
12,673 Posts
2.5" is plenty to be off. pull out the measuring tape and see how much out of square it is.

·
Registered
466 Posts
2.5" is plenty to be off. pull out the measuring tape and see how much out of square it is.
i agree with both of u guys, i can see how 2” won’t completely throw the truck off driving but in my mind i see a truck cycling through its entire travel, up/down and flexing/drooping each side, i wonder how off it is then? 🤷🏻‍♂️

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

From the radius arm to Center of the axle is 17" on both sides.

Is it off? Maybe.

From outside of frame to out side of the tire is 22 inches on both sides. Form radius arm to center of axle is 17 inches both sides. There is no bump steer and the coils and sway bar links are all level. So, I think for now there is no harm leaving the OEM track bar.

I have driven trucks since 2007 with both lift kits and level kits - I have never added an adjustable track bar for anything under 3 inches. Never had any issues that were noticeable enough to justify it...i.e tire wear etc.

From my 10 years experience lifting jeeps from XJs to JKs, there really is not much of a need to go all out replacing control arms, track bars, steering drop brackets etc for lifts/level kits under 3". Can you? Yes. Should you? Maybe if yo have the money to burn.

From a manufactures stand point marketing adjustable track bars for level kits make sense, builds the bottom line of the business...is it practical? Maybe...maybe not...

We are talking about 38-7/8" for stock height, 39-1/8" for 2-3" lift. That's what, -0.25 difference?

For now I will spend that $500 TB money on Diesel and......

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i agree with both of u guys, i can see how 2” won’t completely throw the truck off driving but in my mind i see a truck cycling through its entire travel, up/down and flexing/drooping each side, i wonder how off it is then? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Unless I get death wobble, crazy tire wear, bump steer....I am not going to panic over what little it changed.

I have a bridge by my house that is guaranteed to induce death wobble if your solid axle vehicle is not up to spec....Ram was "solid as a rock" after the level kit...

Can I steal that from Chevy? 🤣

·
Registered
99 Posts
Looks good. I’ve considered leveling mine, but prefer the natural leveling I get when the 5th wheel is sitting in the bed.

Reactions: mattswaggs

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Looks good. I’ve considered leveling mine, but prefer the natural leveling I get when the 5th wheel is sitting in the bed.
Mine is level with a 5ver as well...even with the level kit.

:cool:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts