Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any issues with the Def system in a 2021 Ram 4500? Truck only had 1611 miles on it when it threw the DEF code and lost power. It’s been to the dealer 3 different times (each time picking her up because they couldn’t find an issue and she acted up again within 13 miles from the dealer each time). Now, dealer calls me and explains that they are taking her down to the pistons?? What does the internals of the block have to do with this DEF code?
Vehicle Motor vehicle Speedometer Steering part Gauge

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did they pull additional codes? Maybe ask them this question.
They are very vague in their explanation to me. Yesterday, they claimed they had ordered parts Saturday and the parts arrived and they were fixing it. Seemed to be a wiring issue. Today I called to check on it and they told me they were tearing the engine down to the pistons. My concern is (not sure how true it is) that I’ve heard of 2020’s sitting in a field and were re-vin to make them 2021s. If that’s the actual case, then my truck would fall under having the faulty CP4 issue. I have no way of proving it, or no way of researching it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is there any other competent dealers around i would avoid them at all cost i Dont know any reason to tear the engine down for a def issue
One dealer in Ashland Va has our 2017 for a transfer case and rear end…and has had it for over 2 months…. this dealer I took mine to is in Springfield and I’m hoping they are more competent than the Ashland dealer. Just a total nightmare with a brand new truck with less than 1700 miles on her.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is there any other competent dealers around i would avoid them at all cost i Dont know any reason to tear the engine down for a def issue
I literally just got another call from them saying they found a bent wiring below the manifold. They supposedly replaced it and now a tech is driving it home to see if it acts up again…. So it’s apparently gone from them taking the engine down to the pistons to now replacing some wire with the injectors (I’m assuming that’s the only wiring harness in that area)…

·
Registered
594 Posts
sheesh, sounds like they really had no idea and we’re going to dig until they found something, hopefully it’s just the little wiring that they found

Reactions: LorinFixer

·
Super Moderator
I know nothing.🙄
2,506 Posts
Chrysler doesn’t allow those things to be rebuilt at the dealer. They typically just put a crate engine and send that one back to be taken apart… at least that’s how it was for me.

In any case, I can guarantee the DEF has nothing to do with any internal engine issue. They’re nuts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts