Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
So my 2021 2500 limited started to make a bang that is felt and heard when shifting down to 3rd gear (i noticed that it shifts from 5th to 3rd). It started on the 6th day of delivery and now its less than two months old with 4000 km(2500 miles).
I went to the dealership and they are telling me that it is normal and that the new transmisson does this("they all do it") which is not true of course and i want to verify from you, cummins masters, that they dont actually do it. A 2020 model with much more miles sure doesnt do it
And can u tell me what was the transmission on 2020 and on 2021 because they are different i just dont recall which is which .
Thanks in advance ,
Sultan from the israel

·
Registered
2021 Ram 3500 CC/LB 4X4 6.7 HO
524 Posts
If you're used to driving a gas truck and drive a high torque cummins diesel the same you probably will have drivetrain slap/play making noise. Try and driving more moderately/smoother with the throttle foot. Also that transmission takes time to learn your driving habits and may smooth out in time.
The 2020-2021 2500 transmission hasn't changed

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not really, my dad has a 2020 cummins too and it doesnt do it at all...and i drive it smoothly and they even made a total reset at the dealership but no success

·
Registered
465 Posts
The dealer won't care what we say....

Maybe try another dealer or ask then to show you a truck on their lot that does it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The dealer won't care what we say....

Maybe try another dealer or ask then to show you a truck on their lot that does it.
Yeah, thats my next move. Going to visit them again this week.
This is the second dealer actually ,the first told me to live with it till the service and we'll see what we can do then hahaha...i thought it was a really funny thing to say.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Unless it's on obviously broken or has completely broken. no dealership will diagnose the problem without a check engine light. They would rather wait until it's completely f'ed and easy to find. Im having issues with mine and they told me the same. That's how the truck should act. I laughed and told them great I got the unicorn of trucks. Since my other 4 trucks didn't do it. All were 2016 and newer. Lol good luck.

EODT

·
Registered
2021 Ram 3500 CC/LB 4X4 6.7 HO
524 Posts
I’ve owned three trucks with a 68rfe and all had there quirks but learned to live with it. I recently bought a 3500 HO Aisin, only 1500 miles and so far I like this transmission better. I have noticed less fuel economy than the 2500 by 1-2 MPG but I’m ok with that.
It Seemed like the 68 got better after about 10,000 miles or I just got used to it! Apparently they have a lot of electronics going on and has to learn your driving habits etc. Some say using TH mode and towing some weight helps to smooth things out

1 - 7 of 7 Posts