Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hear tell the 2020s are available for order. Has anyone seen a list of any significant changes from the 19s? I found a darn nice 19 but if there is a driveline change for the 20s I would fell better about making this decision.

Thx much.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I hear tell the 2020s are available for order. Has anyone seen a list of any significant changes from the 19s? I found a darn nice 19 but if there is a driveline change for the 20s I would fell better about making this decision.

Thx much.
Hoping for a ZF 8 speed behind the Cummins by chance?

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Shoot, I’m fine with the trans for the most part...I’d like an EGRless engine, or so e sort of system fixing the damn emission related problems with these newer systems.

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
@Indytruckchampion stated that if you're going to keep the truck long term it would be better to wait for the 2020 instead of the 2019. When asked why this was, he stated it was a secret he just couldn't tell anybody. Still waiting for an answer, though I suspect none is forthcoming...

·
Registered
171 Posts

Thx much.

I ordered a 2020 5500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Rear Admiral Rickard Onmi
6,043 Posts
I heard that they are sprinkling finely ground unicorn tears into them to make them better then ever

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I ordered a 2020 5500.

And, what power train options were available?

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
171 Posts
Cummins and Aisin automatic. There was a standard trans option. But no 8speed.

·
Registered
223 Posts
@Indytruckchampion stated that if you're going to keep the truck long term it would be better to wait for the 2020 instead of the 2019. When asked why this was, he stated it was a secret he just couldn't tell anybody. Still waiting for an answer, though I suspect none is forthcoming...
Yeah who knows at this point. I’ve been waiting as well before making final purchase but no information is really in concrete. Heck even the 50 gal tank I’m hearing might not be standard and disappeared from the order sheet. maybe there is some bigger changes but I wouldn’t hold my breath. Everyone seems to have different glitches and minimal information on a truck they are able to order and selll. I guess only time will tell

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So, I am getting a copy of the 2020 build sheets to me...I will try to figure out what he may be referring to here, but my guy says there are no changes to the engine, trans and general powertrain. The Hydro Blue and Olive Green (which I like) are not available as of yet to order.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
After going through the build sheets, there is nothing that jumps out. HOWEVER, air appears there is a rumor that the high pressure fuel pump is gonna get changed. The CP4 has been a major problem in all the different vehicles it has been put in. Some folks even put a CP3 in as it appears to last longer.

The rub is that I can’t get any confirmation of this change. If it is a new pump, then it might be worth waiting...although I am sure that someone will have a fix or a swap to something better. My price between a similar 19 and 20 is about $1000...so that’s not a factor. Also, the new colors are not available to order yet...but those colors may be low volume and only available later in the year.

I am surprised there is so little info avail on any changes to the 20...but I guess no one has put eyes on one. I am going to try to eyes on he parts fische and see if there are part number changes in the fuel system.

·
Registered
223 Posts
After going through the build sheets, there is nothing that jumps out. HOWEVER, air appears there is a rumor that the high pressure fuel pump is gonna get changed. The CP4 has been a major problem in all the different vehicles it has been put in. Some folks even put a CP3 in as it appears to last longer.

The rub is that I can’t get any confirmation of this change. If it is a new pump, then it might be worth waiting...although I am sure that someone will have a fix or a swap to something better. My price between a similar 19 and 20 is about $1000...so that’s not a factor. Also, the new colors are not available to order yet...but those colors may be low volume and only available later in the year.

I am surprised there is so little info avail on any changes to the 20...but I guess no one has put eyes on one. I am going to try to eyes on he parts fische and see if there are part number changes in the fuel system.
I agree with the lack of knowledge out there but I guess I see the reason. They want to move the 19’s before giving any information on the 20’s I’m sure. But if the pump did change that would be pretty sweet

Reactions: CatButt

·
Registered
5,483 Posts

I agree with the lack of knowledge out there but I guess I see the reason. They want to move the 19’s before giving any information on the 20’s I’m sure. But if the pump did change that would be pretty sweet
Where is this rumor coming from? It would make sense from Ram's standpoint to try to hide this fact until they have sold through as many 19s as possible, because the knowledge that this pump was a one-off for a single year, especially given its history, would certainly hurt sales of the 2019s.

There was another thread where a guy said he saw a catastrophic pump (perhaps whole engine) failure at a dealership and Cummins was requesting the entire engine back and was sending them a completely new one, fuel system and all. It stands to reason that there could have been enough there to disgust and worry them (Ram and Cummins) to the point where they rapidly made a change to the new model year.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I find it very hard to believe they are going to change the pump after one model year. Especially if there have not been a pattern of documented issues in this application. One failure wouldn't make a manufacturer change a fuel system so drastically.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
There are so many CP4 pump failures there’s a class action lawsuit. Ford uses them and Chevy was using them. I think the CP4 has been used for a few years now.

·
Registered
12 Posts
There are so many CP4 pump failures there’s a class action lawsuit. Ford uses them and Chevy was using them. I think the CP4 has been used for a few years now.
I realize that, my 2014 Ford used a CP4, never gave me a hint of trouble. Cummins must have known the reputation of this pump before choosing to go that route. I'm sure the decision wasn't on a whim. I have heard the GM issues stem from spec'ing a pump designed for euro fuel not US grade fuel with less lubrication. Hopefully the Cummins setup proves more reliable than others after years of refinement and improvements.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts