Cummins Diesel Forum banner

2020 3500 Mega DRW Laramie Night Edition - Tire/Wheel Help Appreciated

26K views 44 replies 16 participants last post by  Jimmy N. 
#1 ·
Just picked this one up couple hundred miles from home. 2020.
HO, Aisin, 4.10, Night Edition, Laramie Level 2.
Now what to do about these very small tires?
Any suggestions are appreciated. It looks like the market for tires that fit the stock 17s is limited. What do people do? 20", 19.5", 22.5"?
I plan on daily driving it and modest towing (16k lbs), but won't get near towing the limits of the truck.

See less See more
#3 ·
Ridiculously nice looking truck!
255-80-17 is about all I'd go on 6" wide rims. That will get you up to 33" tall and shouldn't need dually rim spacers.
19.5s are a horrible choice for light duty unless you don't like your liver, spleen or the fillings in your teeth!

Kinda have 3 viable options considering your uses, slight up size like above. Get a new set of rims all the way around that are 8" wide so you can run tires in the 34" + diameter (like 285-75-17 or similar sizes in 18-20" wheels), or remove your front hub spacers and a set of custom srw front wheels and matching style rear duals where you can put whatever will fit on it and match the rear diameter.

You didn't buy a dually because you need a dually based on what you said your use is, so no harm in bro dozering it a bit to get the tire size you want.

#5 ·
I appreciate the feedback!

I definitely didn't need a dually with the exception of my camper situation. The F350 SRW handled my camper just fine, it was serviceable. But I was on the edge of the payload (wet) and modest cross winds made things a little uncomfortable. Plan is to eventually upgrade the camper now that I have a DRW, and possibly my car hauler as well since I have the room to do that.

That being said I don't want to go too bro-dozerish as I want to retain as much stability as possible. 34"-35" tires IMO would be perfect on this truck.

I've been searching for decent pictures of the 255/80/17 setup and haven't found a ton. Either people don't go this route often, or they just don't bother sharing.

Any wheel brands in particular you like for a 18" or 20" setup?

Absolutely love your truck, and those rims look amazing. About time they did something special with dually rims, although i wish they had stuck with actual Alcoas on 'em.

Like stated, 255/80-17s are your best bet for oversized tires. the dually rims are pretty narrow and that is as big as you can go safely on them.
I appreciate it! I do love the wheels, if I went aftermarket the goal would be to find something as close to OEM look as possible.

I do see you went with the 255's. How do you like them? Ever considered the 34x10.5x17 BFG KO2? Too tall/wide for the oem wheels?

#4 ·
Absolutely love your truck, and those rims look amazing. About time they did something special with dually rims, although i wish they had stuck with actual Alcoas on 'em.

Like stated, 255/80-17s are your best bet for oversized tires. the dually rims are pretty narrow and that is as big as you can go safely on them.

#6 ·
I liked the 255s, looked great, but would've liked something a little taller. But they looked great, and road nice. i got around 50k miles per set of them. The KO2s were not out yet in that size when i had my dually, or i would've considered them. at the time they only offered the KM2 and i didn't want to go with a straight mud tire. but the STT MAXX did what i needed to do, lasted well enough, and had good traction year round, and on and off the pavement. I routinely had over 5k in the bed and 10k behind the truck and they met with my expectations.

#7 ·
NICE TRUCK! It's optioned out almost exactly as how I will option mine. I don't really want the Safety Group. I'm having a hard time between Billet Silver and Granite Crystal Grey. Did you find that or order it?

Reactions: jred2255
#9 ·
Found it... it was tough to find. I was planning on "settling" on a Limited because I was not finding the options I wanted in a Night Edition Laramie. But the Ram site can be useful in 200 mile radius increments.

What I did about my "very small tires" was leave them on there. They are made to fit the wheels and work with the vehicle, and do a great job.

But in case yours are Nexens, leave them on there only until you find a better tire in the same size. Which is almost anything.
What did you not like about the Nexens? They'll be gone soon enough but i haven't had any complaints. Did you ever drive the Nexens in snow?

#8 ·
Now what to do about these very small tires?

What do people do? 20", 19.5", 22.5"?
What I did about my "very small tires" was leave them on there. They are made to fit the wheels and work with the vehicle, and do a great job.

But in case yours are Nexens, leave them on there only until you find a better tire in the same size. Which is almost anything.

#10 ·
Nope, my Nexens went bye bye almost instantly. I'd already seen enough posts about how they like to blow up, or wear out very quickly. The latter could be considered good, I suppose.

Got some Toyo C/Ts, which I really like, but last summer I put the front Nexens back on, just to wear them out. Since I have over 12 of them, I won't be able to wear them all out before they age too much. Don't drive the 3500 enough for that.

Oh, and when I do run the front Nexen tires I carry two spares, if that tells you something.

#14 ·
I went with 285/55r22 on Mayhem Monstirs
Very Sharp! The offset isn't too crazy in the rear, looks great. Anymore pictures?
Bunch of questions for you:
Did you go with a front level?
Do you have factory rear air?
What kind of mud flaps are those?
How does the gearing feel coming from a 235 tire? Do you have 3.73's or 4.10's?

#16 ·
Got the new wheels and tires on today. 20" Fuel Blitz wheels. I had four new 295/65/20 BFG MK3 tires sitting in my barn, while more aggressive than what I was planning, I already owned them. So bought a pair for the front and went for it. Front rubs just barely, so i will need to get a level.

#22 ·
@jred2255 Truck looks awesome with the new rims and tires. I definitely like the rims a lot.
On another note where in MN are you? I grew up in SW MN near Jackson.

#23 ·
@jred2255 Truck looks awesome with the new rims and tires. I definitely like the rims a lot.
On another note where in MN are you? I grew up in SW MN near Jackson.
I appreciate it.
I looked high and low to find some 20" wheels that were all black and relatively simple like the OEM wheels. Without going to a 19.5" or 22.5" that wasn't going to happen. So I am pretty happy with the Fuel wheels, they are less dramatic in person that what I was expecting.
I know Jackson, I drive through Jackson sometimes on my way out to Colorado. I'm about 20 minutes west of Minneapolis near Lake Minnetonka, land of Ten Thousand right? Boating might be the only thing that saves me from this Covid 19 situation :)

#25 ·
Lake Minnetonka is a really nice lake and area. I’m hoping that one day in the near future I can talk my wife into moving back up to the area I grew up. The Land of Thousand Lakes is nice. Can go to a different lake every weekend if you really want too.

#31 ·
I did the 22.5" conversion on mine, got tired of buying tires so often. Had them for about a year now and have driven across the country hauling a 45' toy hauler. Still look almost new, and they fill the wheel well like tires should.

#35 ·
I like it! What do the height of the tires actually measure out to be? I might have to add these to the list of possibilities.....

#36 ·
I believe 35.1" is the advertised height. Ran this size on my SRW F350 in a KO2 as well, they're pretty skinny at 11.8" wide.

#39 ·
Looks like 34.5" with the tape measure. I'm on aftermarket wheels and a local shop hit the plastic back of the wheel well with a heat gun and was able to mold it so i doesn't rub anymore.

Reactions: Juday
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.