Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I judge steering based on whether I ever have to pay extra attention to it. If I have to give it extra thought to stay on the road or in my lane, it is bad. It can have a mile of slop in it but if it steers down the road without me having to give it all my focus, it is okay by my standards.

I did not like the OEM steering box on my 2015 (or 2014). I've said this in other threads. It wasn't extra sloppy or all over the road or anything but it had a "stiction" kind of feeling to it and I was always thinking to myself "why doesn't this thing turn" (but in much more colorful language) as I would put more and more pressure on the wheel to fight a crown or slightly tighten a turn. I believe Ram made a change to the steering gear in a later model year (2019 maybe) but I don't know if it addressed that problem. I replaced mine with a PSC SG856 gear a year ago and have been happy since. That's only about 15K miles, though, so I cannot give a long-term review. It was a direct drop in for mine. I don't know for a 2010 but you can contact them and ask.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I judge steering based on whether I ever have to pay extra attention to it. If I have to give it extra thought to stay on the road or in my lane, it is bad. It can have a mile of slop in it but if it steers down the road without me having to give it all my focus, it is okay by my standards.

I did not like the OEM steering box on my 2015 (or 2014). I've said this in other threads. It wasn't extra sloppy or all over the road or anything but it had a "stiction" kind of feeling to it and I was always thinking to myself "why doesn't this thing turn" (but in much more colorful language) as I would put more and more pressure on the wheel to fight a crown or slightly tighten a turn. I believe Ram made a change to the steering gear in a later model year (2019 maybe) but I don't know if it addressed that problem. I replaced mine with a PSC SG856 gear a year ago and have been happy since. That's only about 15K miles, though, so I cannot give a long-term review. It was a direct drop in for mine. I don't know for a 2010 but you can contact them and ask.
On long trips my arms and shoulders would get a workout that I’d feel later on. Then really start paying attention to my steering. I switched out the box to a redhead and the steering improved. But after replacing my ballpoints my passenger side steering knuckle was binding. I thought that the ball joint just needed to break in. The truck still was not steering right. I watched the videos on the EMF website about issues with steering knuckles. I then checked my steering knuckle and found that it was no good. So I upgraded to the latest mopar steering gear. There is now only one steering gear. It’s from like 2009 through 2021. I basically changed everything, control arms, track bar, steering gear( brand new),control arms, steering knuckle and PS lines. The truck drives amazing. Almost no input anymore. Once the chip shortage ends I’ll upgrade to a 2022 or 23. Somebody will get a nice truck.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts