Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All!
I have a 2010 and I'm not ready yet to buy a new truck. But my question is how does the steering feel? Have they perfected the steering response and wander issues. I’m replacing my steering gear and Mopar discontinued two previous part numbers and the newest upgrade fits all the way up to the 2019 trucks. It’s now a 6 bolt vs my original 4 bolt. There is so little information out there that I have to ask the guys with the 19’s . Thank you for taking the time to answer.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Hello All!
I have a 2010 and I'm not ready yet to buy a new truck. But my question is how does the steering feel? Have they perfected the steering response and wander issues. I’m replacing my steering gear and Mopar discontinued two previous part numbers and the newest upgrade fits all the way up to the 2019 trucks. It’s now a 6 bolt vs my original 4 bolt. There is so little information out there that I have to ask the guys with the 19’s . Thank you for taking the time to answer.
I’m not really sure what answer you are searching for with your question. The steering of every model year is a little bit different, it’s even a little bit different from truck to truck. What you consider “perfected” could be totally different from the opinion of the next person. You’re asking something that is extremely subjective and all we can provide for you here is opinions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the older dodges ( like mine) suffered from a loose steering box from the start, that caused a lot of steering wheel movement. I replaced it eventually with a redhead that was much tighter but now has excessive play and it’s time to replace. Dodge is now on its second “ upgraded” steering gear for my truck. Apparently it’s now the same steering gear as the newest trucks. So my question is how to they feel going down the highway. I know the entire front end is now different. But the steering gear Is hopefully better and does not have the wander. My truck always felt like I was fight super strong gust of wind.
thank you.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Well the older dodges ( like mine) suffered from a loose steering box from the start, that caused a lot of steering wheel movement. I replaced it eventually with a redhead that was much tighter But now has excessive play . Dodge is now on its second “ upgraded” steering gear for my truck. Apparently it’s now the same steering gear as the newest trucks. So my question is how to they feel going down the highway. I know the entire front end is now different. But the steering gear Is hopefully better and does not have the wander. My truck always felt like I was fight super strong gust of wind.
thank you.
Driving a 2019, I would not say I have experienced any of those negative traits that you describe. But at the same time, I have never driven your model year so I don’t really have anything that far back to compare it to. My last 2014 always had issues with aligning the steering wheel via the drag link..But that was just something I had learned to “deal with”. I don’t really have the same problem with the 2019, however I have not yet put another set of tires on it and tried having it professionally aligned so that issue may present itself later down the road. Other than that, I have no complaints about the 2019 model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Then I’m guessing they drive much better. Not every 4th generation truck had this issue but enough did that they upgraded the steering box... twice .My 04.5 truck drove straight down the road With little input from the steering wheel.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I really think it’s the front end design that improves the steering response.

I had a 2012 with the old design, and it was terrible on the freeway. It wandered everywhere! I replaced steering box, drag link, tie rods, wheel bearings, ball joint, and it still drove like crap.

A few years back, I drove a 2015 with the new steering and it felt wonderful. I’ve had the same good experience with the 2019+ as it has the same chassis as the 2014-2018.

Reactions: Aaron37

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
2019 is easy to drive. not as easy as a half ton but they are great trucks.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I really think it’s the front end design that improves the steering response.

I had a 2012 with the old design, and it was terrible on the freeway. It wandered everywhere! I replaced steering box, drag link, tie rods, wheel bearings, ball joint, and it still drove like crap.

A few years back, I drove a 2015 with the new steering and it felt wonderful. I’ve had the same good experience with the 2019+ as it has the same chassis as the 2014-2018.
For the past two years I’ve had the truck steering beautifully down the highway. It cost my well over 3k to get it to do this. But now the redhead steering box is getting a lot of play. Now that I’m in the market for a new steering gear I see that now that there is a new option- a new (for me) Mopar steering gear (Currently in use with the 19’s). All of the older steering gears are discontinued with Mopar. so I could go back to an older discontinued version modified by redhead or I could try the new (for me) upgraded gear that you guys are currently using. That’s why I’m here asking questions. But it seems that the complaints about steering wander caused by the steering gear have been addressed by Mopar.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I had an '04 Cummins 2500 and it had issues with the front end and steering. Things wore and there was slop that needed corrected.

Next was an Ecodiesel and it was fine.

Now the 2019 2500 Cummins is much like the Ecodiesel. Steering and response is not an issue I am ever aware of.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had a 97 dodge gas that the front end was a train wreck. I realized this after purchasing my first Dodge diesel an 04.5. that had the best steering to date. I’ll be looking at the 21’s. This 2010 has made me steering conscious. But it’s still in beautiful shape and it’s been problem free besides the steering that I have pretty much figured out.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I had an '04 Cummins 2500 and it had issues with the front end and steering. Things wore and there was slop that needed corrected.

Next was an Ecodiesel and it was fine.

Now the 2019 2500 Cummins is much like the Ecodiesel. Steering and response is not an issue I am ever aware of.
Ram 1500s use an IFS Steering Rack front end like my 2004 3500 2 wheel drive has. It will never have slop and basically drives like a car.

To OP, run the 2019 steering box.

Reactions: 10%more

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I ordered the big Mopar steering gear. It’s a bit expensive, but it’s brand new. I’m waiting to find out if I need an even bigger pitman arm and a larger bearing for my steering brace.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have never owned a third generation Cummins Ram but have driven a few, owned a first gen, and two second gens, and now the 2019. I can say that the 2019 seems to steer far better than any previous generation, and that is including my last second gen that had about every upgraded steering component/brace/etc that Geno's Garage sells.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello All!
I currently have a 2019 Laramie 2500 LWB 6.7 Cummins with 15k miles on it and steering feels good - no wander. I have previously had a 2013 that I put 118k miles on, 2011, 2008, 2007 all the same model that I put 45-50K on and none of them had steering issues. I did always install a Rough Country steering box brace kit and damper kit on all of them but that was just part of what I did along with a leveling kit/airbags on all of them. I think once they got into the 2007s they for the most part overcame the suspension and steering issues that plagued Dodge for years.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I will add that they made the huge improvement in in 13+ 3500s and 14+ 2500s. My '14 steers way better than my 07 and 99. I have no doubt the 19s+ are as good if not better.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts