Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

2019 Rusty Cab Light Holes

1423 Views 56 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  mattswaggs
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior

Now I’m going to have to pull headliner and dismount all lights to properly paint and seal it.🤦🏻‍♂️

EDIT: Just wonderful. Looks like my truck had the roof panel replaced at one point. There are metal shaving on top of headliner, and roof is black primer inside when it should be painted. Just my luck. 🤦🏻‍♂️
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

· Registered
275 Posts
That's really unfortunate. I always option my trucks w/o them because of stuff like this. I've been in so many trucks that have them leak occasionally. Same w sunroofs. Living in the northeast I think new trucks need an option to be dipped in POR 15 prior to delivery. The metal is so thin now, it's good you caught that before it got worse.

· Registered
772 Posts
That's really unfortunate. I always option my trucks w/o them because of stuff like this. I've been in so many trucks that have them leak occasionally. Same w sunroofs. Living in the northeast I think new trucks need an option to be dipped in POR 15 prior to delivery. The metal is so thin now, it's good you caught that before it got worse.
funny u say that, i think my truck had 18 miles on it when i undercoated it, inside and out, now it’s just little touch up every year…and i still don’t drive it in the salt lol

4,474 Posts
Are those factory installed cab lights or were they installed by a previous owner?

My thoughts are the less openings, items and clutter you have in your truck's roof, you car's roof, your RV's roof, your house's roof, etc, the better. :)

Zero cab lights, zero sunroof's, zero anything.

If you are going to keep the truck, I would be tempted to throw all the cab lights in the trash, weld up, finish and paint.
It would be pricey, but end of cab light water leaks and rust forever!

· Rear Admiral Rickard Onmi
2018 Ram 3500 CCLBSRW
18,382 Posts
Idk, i had cab lights on my 12, and 05, and installed them myself on my 02, plus sun roofs on my current 18 and my 12, none had any any leaks. that i ever noticed from those holes...the third brake light however...that's a different story

· Unregistered
27,029 Posts
If only those lights were a delete option on a DRW. In my case there's always plenty of lighting on the trailer, so the cab marker lights don't really serve any purpose.

· Admin/Mod
I Still Know Nothing
3,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Are those factory installed cab lights or were they installed by a previous owner?

My thoughts are the less openings, items and clutter you have in your truck's roof, you car's roof, your RV's roof, your house's roof, etc, the better. :)

Zero cab lights, zero sunroof's, zero anything.

If you are going to keep the truck, I would be tempted to throw all the cab lights in the trash, weld up, finish and paint.
It would be pricey, but end of cab light water leaks and rust forever!
Yes factory cab lights. It’s on the window sticker.

I’ve never had any water intrusion issues with any of my 3500s. Only issue on my 12 was the 3rd brake light.

Since I was coming from a dually, I liked the look of the lights and wanted them on the 2500.
However, I didn’t want to deal with adding holes and touch up paint, so I opted to buy a truck equipped with them from factory.

I’m going to have to pull them all, possibly grind and paint…

Reactions: StealthDiesel
4,474 Posts
If only those lights were a delete option on a DRW. In my case there's always plenty of lighting on the trailer, so the cab marker lights don't really serve any purpose.

Back in 2004 I wanted a 3500 not a 2500 but those lame cab lights were mandatory for a 3500 for that model year.

Luckily the only difference between a 2500 and 3500 were the rear overload leaf springs and the GVWR sticker on the door jam.
It was easier to modify the rear suspension than to remove the cab lights, weld up the holes and paint.

Our 2006 Acura TSX has a mandatory sunroof for that model year.
I hate it but we only open it once a year for cleaning, inspection and rubber seal treatment. :)

Reactions: Jimmy N.

· Registered
673 Posts
I've said it many times, , vehicles need a salt belt option for metal coatings, just like CA emissions and crap
I mean I am sure many folks would gladly pay extra for that option (like dip the whole dam truck in POR 15 before final painting LOL, or come pre coating with something like RP 342 or such! and offer re-coatings if needed))

I mean to to have added salt protection to metal surfaces,, which can add yrs of life to a vehicles, making these crazy price tags anymore not seem so bad!

As in today's modern age, there are No shortage of better proven metal coatings on the market now, over just some cheap paint they use at the factory!

and if done at factory level in bulk, , I am sure costs could Not be that huge of a difference over the cheap paint they coat the undercarriage with now!

as at the price of these vehicles anymore, they should NOT rust out so fast, its almost a dam crime for a vehicle costing as much as modern trucks do! to be eaten by salt in just a few yrs!

that or some fancy greedy ass lawyer needs to start some class action suit against DOT"S that use salt and the brine solution , as there is NO way any one can say they didn;t know that salt and that solution they spray doesn't eat our vehicles! its common knowledge it does! and not like anyone has the option of driving on roads that don;t get it, and staying home till summer isn;t a viable option either! Haha!~

· Admin/Mod
I Still Know Nothing
3,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
After more digging I can tell the roof skin was replaced at some point.☹

Skin inside is primer black when it should be red, and also there are fine metal shavings on top of headliner. So now those hand cut holes make sense.

I don’t know when it was done as nothing is on carfax. Maybe damaged in transit and repaired before original owner purchased, or maybe damaged and repaired right before I bought it…

I don’t know and now the good new truck feelings are gone…

Maybe I should go trade for a GM like @mattswaggs because I have bad luck with Chrysler lol.

· Registered
Horns Removed, Still identify as a RAM
11,379 Posts

Skin inside is primer black when it should be red, and also there are fine metal shavings on top of headliner. So now those hand cut holes make sense.

I don’t know when it was done as nothing is on carfax. Maybe damaged in transit, or maybe damaged and repaired right before I bought it…

Maybe I should go trade for a GM like @mattswaggs because I have bad luck with Chrysler lol.
That really stinks. Sorry. But it should be a pretty easy fix and then forget about it.

My guess is damage in transport and the dealers body shop put a roof panel on. More common than you think.

My friend in Michigan who has a body shop does a lot of stuff for a big Cadillac dealer up there. They get away with a lot of stuff on ‘New’ vehicles.

As for the Ugly Chevy..

I try really hard not to like it, but I keep failing.

Wheel Tire Sky Car Vehicle

· Registered
4,952 Posts
That really stinks. Sorry. But it should be a pretty easy fix and then forget about it.

My guess is damage in transport and the dealers body shop put a roof panel on. More common than you think.

My friend in Michigan who has a body shop does a lot of stuff for a big Cadillac dealer up there. They get away with a lot of stuff on ‘New’ vehicles.

As for the Ugly Chevy..

I try really hard not to like it, but I keep failing.

View attachment 968471
That's not the ugly one....

· Registered
4,952 Posts

I don’t know when it was done as nothing is on carfax. Maybe damaged in transit and repaired before original owner purchased, or maybe damaged and repaired right before I bought it…

[email protected] man...that sucks!
I was gonna comment that the holes in the pic didn't look factory, simply because WHY would anyone grind the primer off around drilled or cut holes? Makes no sense unless the ding dong who was replacing the panel with a non clearance light version only had a black marker so he made shiny metal to mark the layouts on! (OE HAS to be stamped that way, not a chance there's a guy on the assembly line and wiz wheel cutting out the 3500 roofs 1 hole at a time)

· Registered
Horns Removed, Still identify as a RAM
11,379 Posts
Reactions: Dblr2
4,474 Posts
Sorry to hear that too...

Is the hood original? Fenders? Doors? Box? Cab?
Has the entire truck been repainted?

Hopefully the roof wasn't replaced because of a rollover or something serious but something minor, like hail damage.

I'm sure you closely inspected the used truck before purchase but now it needs a really thorough and close inspection.

Accident repair, repaint, flood damage, frame repair/repaint, etc, etc.

• Haha
Reactions: H3LZSN1P3R

· Registered
2,379 Posts

Hopefully the roof wasn't replaced because of a rollover or something serious but something minor, like hail damage.

I'm sure you closely inspected the used truck before purchase but now it needs a really thorough and close inspection.

its most likely the transport trailer that brought it from Mexico that happens very often on trucks

· Admin/Mod
I Still Know Nothing
3,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

I checked everything before purchase. Everything is original. Truck was deleted before as there was an extra nut sitting in the DEF tank X member when I was down there “inspecting.” Also there’s a CSP5 switch hole on a dash panel, and the tail pipe had black soot when I looked inside.

I’ve been underneath the truck and everything is perfect. It’s just the roof. And it was painted so well, I couldn’t tell until I saw the primer underneath.

Nothing else was painted as I would be able to feel feather or hard paint lines. There’s none of that anywhere. Even front fender bolts are spotless clean.

Reactions: StealthDiesel
1 - 20 of 57 Posts