Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to pick up a truck tonight. Deals are set on 2 trucks I just have to decide. One is a 19 Laramie ho srw. Level 1 Laramie. Second is a 20 2500 high country. It has every option possible. I slept on it and just can’t make up my mind. Both have pros and cons. I plan on keeping this truck a long time and I guess my gut tells me ram. I’ve owned 5 duramax powered trucks and 10 rams with the Cummins spanning all generations. Maybe some of you have some tidbits that will help me solidify my decision...

·
Go Packers
6,008 Posts
Are you going to tow a trailer or RV now or in the future?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do tow a 20 trailer now. No RV ....yet. My tow requirements are going to increase with the addition of a few pieces of equipment

·
Registered
256 Posts
Towing = Cummins (Inline six low end torque band Aisin is strong but defuels in lower gears. Amazing on interstate)

Daily driving = Duramax (V8 Torque band requires more revving but has reliable 10 speed Allison that has enough gears to keep it in that torque band.)
AND HOOD SCOOP

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I should at that I will be within the capabilities of the 2500 for now. I will say rams exhaust break is much better imo

·
Go Packers
6,008 Posts
Reason I asked was if you said yes, you may quickly outgrow the capabilities of a 2500 series truck. Yes a 2500 will tow a lot of stuff. Always better to have more than enough truck, rather than one that just gets it done. I hope that made sense. With the number of each truck you've owned, you pretty well know the pros & cons to each. Best wishes with your decision.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I should at that I will be within the capabilities of the 2500 for now. I will say rams exhaust break is much better imo
Do the 2020 Rams still offer the 68RFE in 2500s?
Get a 3500 with an AISIN or buy the Duramax.

Allison versus 68RFE isnt even a thing.

We live in the age of heavy DOT enforcement. If you will never haul heavier than a 2500 dont buy bigger or they may ask you to get some expensive things.. anything after 26000 is 100% CDL

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree ....it’s Aisin or no ram. Not a huge 68 fan. The 10spd is new for the dmax. Initial reports are good but impossible to now about the longevity yet

·
Registered
84 Posts
I would say drive both and see which one you enjoy better. If price is same I would lean towards the chevy since it is a year newer.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I would say drive both and see which one you enjoy better. If price is same I would lean towards the chevy since it is a year newer.
Kind of. The '20 Chevy's have been available since the summer, the '19 Rams since the spring. So they aren't really a different age

·
Go Packers
6,008 Posts

·
HI
3,444 Posts
I considered a 2020 GMC Denali 3500 before I chose the 19' Ram. The biggest turn off to me with the GM trucks is the cramped feeling cab, the lack of storage space compared to Ram , and the lack of a fold flat rear floor. I also felt the GM interior felt cheap compared to the Rams.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Do the 2020 Rams still offer the 68RFE in 2500s?
Get a 3500 with an AISIN or buy the Duramax.

Allison versus 68RFE isnt even a thing.

We live in the age of heavy DOT enforcement. If you will never haul heavier than a 2500 dont buy bigger or they may ask you to get some expensive things.. anything after 26000 is 100% CDL
A 2500 Diesel (at least the CTD) has a pitiful payload.

I've been battling this with my 2500 since we moved into a 5th wheel. I added air bags "to level the load" (not a suitable remedy for bumper pull) but legally am still over payload until I get the new 3500.

·
Premium Member
1,811 Posts
Kind of. The '20 Chevy's have been available since the summer, the '19 Rams since the spring. So they aren't really a different age
2020 Chevy's latest greatest...... 2019 Ram, refreshed 2010......:spank:

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
I just switched back from a 2018 DENALI. I would recommended fast lane truck video of the 2020 High Country DRW vs Ford F-350.
There to me is something nice about the torque on a Cummins engine. The DMax is a nice motor but it tows differently in the hills.
Someone else said it in a prior post. Unloaded drive the GM. Towing choose a Ram.

I also felt that GM swung and missed on the updates for 2020 interior plus I like adaptive cruise it wasn’t an option for GM HD trucks.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Enjoyed driving the truck tonight. It’s awesome. I’m 110% sure I made the right decision for me. Traded my L5p max and I miss it zero. The 2020 GM has a nice tech package and it drives nice for sure. I’m sure it will do well. I did have a 18 powerstroke for a short while and the death wobble made that relationship short lived. Someone made mention of the 2020 ford above.....while I’m sure that engine/ new tranny combo is nice I wouldn’t even consider it due to past experience and the way ford handled it. Can’t wait to drive my truck tomorrow lol

·
Registered
166 Posts
IMO both are great daily drivers. Both can also tow exceedingly well.. I had a 2019 Denali HD and 2019 3500 Laramie. I'd take either truck.. What it came down to for me living somewhere with brine, mag chloride, and muck 9 months out of the year was corrosion resistance. That crap wax that they put on the GM is a joke. Half of it was already scuffed off, exposed bare metal, and was already rusting...

1 - 20 of 94 Posts