Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Rear Admiral Rickard Onmi
7,098 Posts
Give me some time on the connector for the mirror glass. The part number is for molex, and it comes up restricted, so I have to dig deeper. The pins for the door module connectors are the same as the ones used for the green can bus connector- https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/TE-Connectivity/5-963715-1-Cut-Strip?qs=sGAEpiMZZMs7eK6h2EBtKqn3zbhM2DVKtrIMWXHjrgM=
Pin 3 is unused, and assigned for blind spot on all 2013+ door modules. If you have puddle lamps, pin 2 is also used for the puddle lamp ground, so you will tap into it.
For the last question about the factory BSM pins And connectors, are you referring to the tail lamp connectors?
Negative, referring to the door module pins for the BSM + connection. I'll be paying attention to see what you find for the mirror glass electrical connector. I would prefer to replicate the factory connection, and not have to hard wire or put in a custom connector, but that could be easily done if push comes to shove. would just need another 2 wire connector that uses the same pins, depin the factory connector, and put in the new one. but it would be simpler if i could use the factory connector if i ever have to replace the mirror glass

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts
putting these here for future reference.

Right side tow mirror glass with BSM light
68401394AA

Left side tow mirror glass with BSM light
68401395AA

So i suppose my other question for @Jimmy07 is do you have a link for that electrical connector by chance as well?

And to clairfy

I posted a link to the LED indicators I used, and I mounted mine in the sail panels, but you can use whatever LEDs and mount them wherever. Just run the positive to pin 3 of the door module C1 connector (white connector from the mirrors), and the negative to pin 2 of the C1 connector.

Is pin 3 a current existing used pin, or will that need to be inserted? Reading this, i would assume it needs to be inserted, which would beg the question, which pin does that take? And if you are digging into your treasure trove of knowledge, if you have info on connectors and pins for the factory BSM pins, that would be appreciated too.
This should work for the mirror glass indicators:
Connector- https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Molex/52213-0211?qs=/ha2pyFadujxTxq6Zz4WzrX3OrW5xKnRYq861fVFV9k=
Terminals- https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Molex/50148-8100?qs=/ha2pyFadugbVLr7o5XIXnBDatzMDj4N%2BkehEBzk0l4=

·
7,098 Posts
Perfect, looks like about $50 shipped for all the electrical connections, and another $50-60 each for the mirror glass. So should be able to get everything done besides the the tails themself for +/- $150. i guess it's time for me to start ordering things while i wait for a good buy on tails. Or more then likley wait until January and so screw it i need a project. and buy the tails, since once i have everything for the harness, i will most likely make it up to be ready for tails. thanks Jimmy!

·
7,098 Posts
Well, all of my terminals are ordered. Going to start piecing everything together over the next several months so my new years present to myself is BSM

·
7,098 Posts
@Jimmy07 Does trailer BSM activate on 18 and older trucks ? Wondering if Nick's issues might transfer back to a 13-18 or if it's a non issue with the older trucks?

Also are the part # s different between tails capable of trailer BSM and ones that aren't capable? It sounded like some 19s were not capable of trailer BSM

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts
@Jimmy07 Does trailer BSM activate on 18 and older trucks ? Wondering if Nick's issues might transfer back to a 13-18 or if it's a non issue with the older trucks?

Also are the part # s different between tails capable of trailer BSM and ones that aren't capable? It sounded like some 19s were not capable of trailer BSM
We’re working on nailing that down as we speak. All I can say for right now is don’t use tail lights with blind spot monitors from a 2020 in a 2019 or earlier Ram. So far, everyone who has installed 2019 tails with blind spot into 2013-2018 trucks have had no issues with regular blind spot working.

·
7,098 Posts
So whatever they did to add trailer length BSM might mess with the older trucks. Although I suppose there's a chance trailer BSM units are backwards compatible, we just now know that 20s and newer breed tails that are capable of trailer BSM

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts
So whatever they did to add trailer length BSM might mess with the older trucks. Although I suppose there's a chance trailer BSM units are backwards compatible, we just now know that 20s and newer breed tails that are capable of trailer BSM
My guess right now is that the 2020 radars themselves are different, and built specifically to be able to adjust range. I’m not sure if they are backwards compatible to a 2019, but it does seem that 2020 rams must have them, and not the ones from a 2019. It’s not worth trying 2020 BSM radars on a 2013-2018 because the CustSetMenu 3 trailer length blind spot CSM setting can’t be enabled on our BCMs. Without that setting, there’s no way to get the EVIC page to choose conventional trailer in order to activate the feature when a trailer is plugged in.

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts
So I should get a set before they get hard to find. Lol
The good thing is, there’s options. The radars can be bought separately, so if you found a non BSM set for a screaming deal, they can be added. There’s a member on ramforum that seems to get the tails in bulk, brand new, unpackaged, straight from Saltillo, and sells for a pretty decent price. I believe on eBay, the seller name is emanuelautoparts.

·
7,098 Posts
How hard is it to add BSM modules into non BSM LED tails? the pictures of them that i've seen make it look like non BSM LED tails have what appears to be a molded cover where the BSM module goes, is that screwed off and replaced with the BSM module, and are the wires there for them to be connected? I'm doing some searching online right now, but i wouldn't be surprised if you already know the answer

·
7,098 Posts
Anyone else know that feeling where you put in an offer online and you tell yourself "they won't accept that" and then 5 minutes later you get an email back saying they did? well funny story. Tail lights are now ordered. Fingers crossed the wife won't notice because that wasn't on the approved list for a couple months...

·
7,098 Posts
I realize most of the information to do this is in this thread, and by most i mean all of it. But would anyone like a dedicated walkthrough through for this? I just ordered my mirror glass, so i will start making my harness once the rest of my supplies show up next week. I can take pictures extra pics and do a walkthrough if people would like it.

·
7,098 Posts
Updated changes for alpha are here, this will allow the hazards and lock/unlock to work as amber, not reds. Only 1 difference that makes this change happen. But figured i would update here, sourced from Ram forum, thanks @Jimmy07 My new mirror glass has shipped, should have late this week or early next week. Which means i should be doing my install soon.

For just enabling new lights to function correctly, for people adding the tails but not adding BSM

CBC I/O: rear turn lamps output present- yes
CBC features: combined rear lighting enabled- no
CBC Features: single element tail lamps- yes
LED reverse lamps present- yes
LED stop lamps present- yes
LED tail lamps present- yes
CBC I/O Usage: left rear door ajar switch usage- left rear lamp diagnostics
CBC I/O Usage: right sliding door ajar switch usage- right rear lamp diagnostics

This has changed from previous posts, leaving this as NO will allow hazard lights work work as amber, not red.
LED rear turn lamps present- Leave as NO

Blind Spot Monitoring Changes with Alpha, for people adding BSM and the new tails

Doors: blind spot mirror present- yes
CustSetMenu 1: blind spot alert- yes
Programmed ECU cabin net: right blind spot sensor- yes
Programmed ECU cabin net: left blind spot sensor- yes

41 - 54 of 54 Posts