Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious and trying to find out if the 2019 taillights and tailgates will fit the 4th gen trucks? I have yet to see one sitting out front at the dealership so I haven't been able to take a close look, but from photos it seems the trucks didn't change from the windshield back for the most part. Which would lead me to believe those new LED taillights and "soft open" tailgate should fit in my 2018 without too much trouble. Anyone thinking this same thing? or have any insight? It also looks like fender flares and tow mirrors have been changed a little but could be retrofitted to the older models?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
I think they said there were no structural changes to the cab and bed, so it is possible. Not sure If the plugs would be different on the lights. Im sure its only a matter of time before someone tries/does it. Got a friend at the dealer?

·
World Champs!!!
24,829 Posts
The logical thing would be to wait until they hit lots which is still a ways away..

Clearly they fit, the body is the same.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Good thinking - not a bad idea - will be cool when they start hitting the shores to see what can be retrofitted -

Will be more curious if it does work, what the parts costs would be - the Mopar LED tails for the 4th Gens are about $450 or so wholesale cost per pair, plus adapters to plug them in - I can imagine they would be more expensive -

Would be nice if the soft open tailgate function was just a matter of bolting up accessories and can retrofit with existing tailgate - I have the DeeZee, but if its a cleaner factory solution I would swap it out for sure

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts
The new tail lights use a different connector. They also have four extra circuits that the 4th gen doesn’t have. Two of them are CAN IHS + & -, which is for the blind spot detection (obviously that won’t work on the retrofit). There is a rear turn lamp driver circuit for the new tail lights that doesn’t exist in 4th gen BCM. Then there is a run relay control that is needed on the new tail lights, which can be tapped from another circuit.

·
Registered
834 Posts
i wonder what the base model tail lights will look like? maybe they will work better.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Tradesman taillights are ugly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good thinking - not a bad idea - will be cool when they start hitting the shores to see what can be retrofitted -

Will be more curious if it does work, what the parts costs would be - the Mopar LED tails for the 4th Gens are about $450 or so wholesale cost per pair, plus adapters to plug them in - I can imagine they would be more expensive -

Would be nice if the soft open tailgate function was just a matter of bolting up accessories and can retrofit with existing tailgate - I have the DeeZee, but if its a cleaner factory solution I would swap it out for sure
Im curious how the soft open tailgate works too, If it can be retrofitted to ours easily without replacing the whole unit. I have a Laramie with backup cam and im sure that complicates things if not makes it impossible. Old camera probably won't fit new tailgate, or New camera won't be compatible with old unconnect system... something like that. But those external struts like DeeZee don't impress me. Ive had one break previously and along with being ugly it just didn't work as well as the factory setups from chevy or ford

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The new tail lights use a different connector. They also have four extra circuits that the 4th gen doesn’t have. Two of them are CAN IHS + & -, which is for the blind spot detection (obviously that won’t work on the retrofit). There is a rear turn lamp driver circuit for the new tail lights that doesn’t exist in 4th gen BCM. Then there is a run relay control that is needed on the new tail lights, which can be tapped from another circuit.
dang, you know more than I expected anyone to when I asked the question, thanks! So my next question is does this make it impossible for them to work correctly or just difficult? I can't imagine the leaving the blindspot detection unhooked would prevent the light from otherwise working correctly. but this run relay control, and turn lamp driver circuit that do not exist on our trucks is a roadblock. What happened to the days when you just needed 12v+ a ground and a signal?

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts
dang, you know more than I expected anyone to when I asked the question, thanks! So my next question is does this make it impossible for them to work correctly or just difficult? I can't imagine the leaving the blindspot detection unhooked would prevent the light from otherwise working correctly. but this run relay control, and turn lamp driver circuit that do not exist on our trucks is a roadblock. What happened to the days when you just needed 12v+ a ground and a signal?
Possible. The rear right and left turn lamp driver can probably be tapped at the BCM where the front right and left turn lamp driver circuits originate. Same with the run relay control. Problem is the connector and terminals. I see a mopar repair part number for it ($70/each), but no manufacturer part number.

·
Registered
109 Posts
from what I read the 5th gen bed is the same from the 4th Gens

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts
Any update on the tailgate fitment on the 4th gen?
The tailgate? Yes and no. It will physically fit a pre-2019, but the handle that houses the camera is completely different, and so are all the connectors for the new camera and remote lock. The pre-2019 camera won’t fit in the new handle.
As far as the tail lights, they will fit, and I’ve figured out how to make them work with AlfaOBD and adding the missing wires to the BCM, I just haven’t found a source for the connectors and terminals, yet.

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts
I finally got the 2019 tail lights in on my 2017 and working exactly like factory, INCLUDING the blind spot and cross path detection. No resistors or aftermarket switchback devices, and the harness is plug n play so they can be returned back to stock tails.

·
Registered
641 Posts
You must have replaced the mirrors to get the radar(?) and that little indicator light?
And where did the programming for blind-spot and cross-traffic alerts come from?
Very impressive!

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts
You must have replaced the mirrors to get the radar(?) and that little indicator light?
And where did the programming for blind-spot and cross-traffic alerts come from?
Very impressive!
The radars are inside the tail lights. The indicators are in the mirror glass on the 2019s. I just used some flush mount LEDs off Amazon that I’ll permanently mount in the sail panels. The LEDs are wired to the door modules, which already exist on them. I enabled all the settings using AlfaOBD. All the settings already exist in our BCMs.

·
Registered
109 Posts
So I wonder if the new 2019 mirrors will bolt up and function like the new trucks with the blind spot monitor? Also, could we possibly retrofit them and have the power convex mirror too? That will lead into the new mirrors with the surround camera system and maybe integrating that into the 4th gen too... hmmm

·
Registered
641 Posts
And I'm wondering how far back this compatibility goes?
Jimmy07's truck is a 2017.
Mine is a 2016? (I know the 2017 bed lights were plug and play.)
What about a 2014? or ?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts