Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first started researching diesels the collective wisdom was something along the lines of “any diesel made after 2012 is good”. That resonated with me so I figured i'd just go out and buy whichever I liked best. They were blowing out 2019 cummins and I made a deal. I feel foolish, but I didn’t realize anything significant changed between the 2018 and 2019 Rams.

Now that I have started reading on Ram specific forums im just confused; y’all act like my Ram equipped with a CP4 HPFP and a 68RFE has two giant ticking time bombs in it even though countless diesels have been equipped with both of those items since 2012, diesels that are supposed to be “good”!

This is confusing as hell. This is seriously putting a damper on how much I am enjoying this beautiful truck!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
Pay no attention to the noise and just drive the truck. I hated my 2012. The oil would crawl up the stick between changes and I would get a change oil service light about 2,700 miles into each change. It would regen every 80 miles or so if I did any round town driving. Those problems are long gone with the newer ones. I'd take your 2019 over a 2012 every single day of the week.

·
Registered
876 Posts
The CP4 works fine for most of us. As to your trans - yep, it's a POS. Fortunately for you I've been looking for just such a junker to keep my wrenches busy. So, just send me your purchase documents and I'll save you all the heart ache in your future and all those unknown but highly expensive repair bills - and you'll only loose 35% in the deal - no worse than what the stock market did last week.

·
Registered
539 Posts
lots of negatives on the world wide web, and there a VERY small percentage of owners that have issue's
like anything, there will always be some lemon's and those that abuse things and find failures faster than others!

your truck has a pretty long time factory warranty and a option to buy a longer one if you feel a need to do so!

and again, ALL things have there purpose, so pending what your use of the truck will be, sort of depends on what options you SHOULD have got
and that comes back to doing research BEFORE you buy, NOT after!

you don;t say what your intended uses are, so, we have NO clue what to tell you what you SHOULD have got in a trans option or/?
so?

·
Rear Admiral Rickard Onmi
5,835 Posts
No issues with what you got. Now if you wanted to tune it up to 1,000 HP with a bunch of power adders, yeah the CP4 and 68RFE can be an issue in stock form. If you don't plan on doing that, you will be fine. Just a bunch of babies complaining that their heavily modified trucks fails when they didn't upgrade supporting systems when they started pushing power

·
Registered
139 Posts
Log off, stop worrying. There are plenty of issues with these trucks, but those two aren't on my list of concerns. Granted mine is a CP3 so that's not an issue, but my 68RFE is about to turn 100k miles and works like new still. My company truck has a CP4 and zero issues now at 202k miles.

People come online to complain. If you only read the online stuff then you hear about every problem. Nobody comes to a forum to report: "Drove another 78 miles today without issue"

·
Registered
492 Posts
I have a 19 HO and I am not personally worried about the fuel system much at all. I’m not sure what your situation is but if you use your truck to make money it may very well make sense to get a new one once the 5 year warranty runs out and then you are always covered.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Don’t believe all you read. I had a 2012 with a 68rfe and put 150,000 miles on it with zero issues. Only money in was tires, filters and fluids. I have a 17 now also equipped with a 68rfe and have 110,000 miles on it and have had the same experience. I change tranny oil and filters once a year and follow the book on rest of the maintenance intervals.

I tow probably around 20 percent of time from 5k-10k.

Both trucks deleted with mild tunes

Actually thinking about getting a new one again soon With all the rebates.

Treat the truck good and it will do you good. You got a great truck

Treat it good

·
Registered
64 Posts
good maintenance and no abuse and you’ll get hundreds of thousands of miles out of your truck. These forums can be a cesspool of complaining. Find the info you’re looking for and leave the rest.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
get the trans recall done if it has not already been done.
always get fuel from a station that is busy (fresher fuel)
change the fuel filters on time.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
nothing to be worried about. drive it like ya stole it.
I've seen this statement for over 20 years. Anything I drove like I stole it needed work shortly afterwards. Haaahaaaahaaa

·
Registered
347 Posts
Here near all of us owners of the new engines are happy with what we have. Many of us had the earlier engines - good but loud and mechanically different. These new ones, with the CP4, work well in lots of areas compared to the old ones. The transmission, 68RFE, was upgraded to handle more power. A plate with two holes was found to rarely overheat the fluid so the fix is a plate with one hole larger. It's a big nothing. My dealer has yet to get the parts for me and I really don't care. No issues.

That's it. You get quiet and beastly power. Keep good fuel in it. Change fuel filters and PRIME the new ones well so there's no air in the fuel system. May you enjoy the power, listen for the quiet and feel the transmission doing its' job for hundreds of thousands of miles.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
When I first started researching diesels the collective wisdom was something along the lines of “any diesel made after 2012 is good”. That resonated with me so I figured i'd just go out and buy whichever I liked best. They were blowing out 2019 cummins and I made a deal. I feel foolish, but I didn’t realize anything significant changed between the 2018 and 2019 Rams.

Now that I have started reading on Ram specific forums im just confused; y’all act like my Ram equipped with a CP4 HPFP and a 68RFE has two giant ticking time bombs in it even though countless diesels have been equipped with both of those items since 2012, diesels that are supposed to be “good”!

This is confusing as hell. This is seriously putting a damper on how much I am enjoying this beautiful truck!
Here you go...

https://www.tfltruck.com/2020/03/this-2011-ram-hd-3500-has-all-original-cummins-diesel-transmission-and-emissions-controls-with-over-523000-miles/

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts