Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

301 - 320 of 355 Posts

·
Registered
13,387 Posts
I guess I'm not that picky. That doesn't really bother me.
Well, a projector that's clocked wrong wouldn't bother me all that much, either, if it didn't bother me that I blind opposing traffic with it.

·
Registered
8,778 Posts
Me dialing in the spacing of the projectors. Originally they felt like they were too far apart. The larger gap represented 2 washers removed the smallest gap was 1. Just wanted to show everyone that it doesn't take much to throw a projector off

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi Tradesman
Right but we’re talking about 2 different things here.

And please be patient with me but I’m gonna be honest, your photo doesn’t prove your point.

An improperly clocked projector will always be off.

A properly clocked projector, no matter how many times you uninstall/install 10x’s, 20x’s, 100x’s (ask me how I know :wink2: ) will always be perfectly level.

Adding washers, loosening all the headlight screws and moving it around, only messes with the horizontal and vertical. It does nothing rotationally

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Right but we’re talking about 2 different things here.

And please be patient with me but I’m gonna be honest, your photo doesn’t prove your point.

An improperly clocked projector will always be off.

A properly clocked projector, no matter how many times you uninstall/install 10x’s, 20x’s, 100x’s (ask me how I know :wink2: ) will always be perfectly level.

Adding washers, loosening all the headlight screws and moving it around, only messes with the horizontal and vertical. It does nothing rotationally

I agree with you a 100% that it will always be off. I wasn't arguing that point I'll I'm saying is you can hide it a little with the bottom adjustment and in general the it doesn't take much to throw a projector off. That was the point with my picture.

I'm not even certain that my projectors are a 100% level. I don't have a clean wall to show them against. My driveway is at a slope and probably not even so can't test on the outside. I'm hoping this weekend I can put them in and get out on the road for a test before I seal them up to make sure everything is as close to good as I can get them.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Now I’m tracking with yah. :thumbup:

What will the final assembly include??

Morimoto H1 7.0 Projectors
Innovited 55w 6000k hid's
Morimoto HB led highbeam projectors

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Curious on your opinion on the H1 vs the stock internal projectors inside Alpha.

Hard to say now but will keep you posted when I get them installed. I have previously used a 55w 5000k (I believe it was) Innovited kit with the stock alpharex projectors so I have something mentally to compare it to

·
Registered
13,387 Posts
Somebody, or something, is trying to tell me not to go on this trip to Utah.

TRS was kind enough to send my LED bulbs 2nd day air, but...didn't mail them until today. So much for installing those today.

Then again, that freed up time for the oil change. Drained the oil, removed the filter, went to get the box of oil with two filters on top. Ooops, those were fuel filters.

Couldn't find (in any of three likely places) the filter(s) I thought for sure I had. Called NAPA. Okay, could go get one tomorrow.
Looked some more and found two oil filter boxes - and two more fuel filters.

Oddly enough, in the Cummins box is a Fleetguard filter sealed in a plastic bag. But without the rubber gasket.
Maybe I'll go to NAPA tomorrow after all.

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
Geez Jimmy. If it wasn't for bad luck!

·
Registered
13,387 Posts
Geez Jimmy. If it wasn't for bad luck!
Unfortunately, that is good luck...for me. After all, I did find the filters.
Also, in the second box was an OE gray filter, with a gasket, just not in a wrapper. I used that one.

I think those filters were eBay purchases, but from what should be a good source.

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
Kind of like winning the Lottery! Glad you found them.

Reactions: Jimmy N.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Curious on your opinion on the H1 vs the stock internal projectors inside Alpha.

Finally got everything sealed up after some reworking of the mounts.

Initial impressions of the H1 with the innovative 55w hid's compared to the "stock" alpharex projectors. The H1 projectors give a wider beam pattern or illuminated side to side range. Close to double I'd say. The cut off is definitely more pronounced with these. I feel there is more foreground illumination also. I still need to get my height adjustment dialed in. It's close but will have to wait until next week at work. When it warms up again I'll toss in the morimoto hid's to have a good comparison. I don't think I could fit the morimoto ballast and igniter in the housing so I got a extra set of dust covers from alpharex.
Having a projector that can drop the shield for highbeam use paired with the morimoto HB highbeam led projectors is a massive improvement over my previous set up.

·
Registered
13,387 Posts
I feel there is more foreground illumination also.
Having really bright low beams (V.4 bulbs in quad lights) turned out to be a mixed blessing.

This made the high beam look weak in comparison, which makes sense with the smaller reflector and the low beam still on.
Also, I now saw some 60 elk along a 75-mile stretch. They may well have been there last time, too, but then I couldn't see them with the stock lighting.

Lesson learned: High beams need to be good, too. If the dealer managed to change the sales code, now the Alpha Rex lights should work without any resistors or boxes. Time will tell.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Having really bright low beams (V.4 bulbs in quad lights) turned out to be a mixed blessing.

This made the high beam look weak in comparison, which makes sense with the smaller reflector and the low beam still on.

Also, I now saw some 60 elk along a 75-mile stretch. They may well have been there last time, too, but then I couldn't see them with the stock lighting.

Lesson learned: High beams need to be good, too. If the dealer managed to change the sales code, now the Alpha Rex lights should work without any resistors or boxes. Time will tell.

In my quads I have a set of opt7 Flux core led's in my highs. They are definitely brighter than the v3's in the low's. They are great for a short distance (30-35') and also have a great overall spread. I could never get them "focused" as low beams tho

·
Registered
13,387 Posts
In my quads I have a set of opt7 Flux core led's in my highs. They are definitely brighter than the v3's in the low's. They are great for a short distance (30-35') and also have a great overall spread.
I don't remember the brand/model LEDs I put in the high beams, but they're a lot better than stock. Hitting the high beam only, with the stalk, they look impressive...until the low beams are also on.

It's a bit like the Morimoto fogs I installed, which also seemed fine until turning the low beams on.

Pardon the shaky photo, but at 70-plus that's how it came out. Probably close to a 300-350 foot reach, and it's only the low beams, adjusted a bit low.

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
Alright, I'm ready to finally do something about the stock headlights. I have a 2018 with stock projectors.

I am torn between just dropping hid's in the stock projectors, or buying the alpharex g2's. Not interested in doing any mods to the stock projectors at this point.

I already have 2 sets of morimoto 50w(55w?) H7's new in box, would only need hd harnesses. I think the bulbs are 5500k, I need to find them. Already have alpha obd.

Are the alphas g2's that much better than the stocks?

·
Registered
8,778 Posts
Having tried OEM/Mopar projectors, TYC replica projectors, and Alpharex projectors..AlphaRex has the best internal projector.

Nice cutoff line, great output with a halogen bulb. There’s definitely internal modifications that you can do that will make them 10x better. But that’s not the route you said you wanted to take.

So in stock form, alpharex, in my opinion, has the best internal parts.

·
Registered
13,387 Posts
So in stock form, alpharex, in my opinion, has the best internal parts.
Except that you need to clock them correctly, or move to the UK or Australia, right?

301 - 320 of 355 Posts