Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 355 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Instead of clogging up the other thread where folks spent good money for the Morimoto XB headlights, I’ll start a new thread for the fellas that cheaped out and bought the knockoffs.

After reading @Jimmy07 somewhat review

Here they are installed-

These are the first version that came out I got for $330. Out of the box, they work just fine unless you have a 2015. That year truck will throw a turn signal out error with hyperflash on the EVIC, although all the turn signals will be working and flashing normally. It can be fixed with AlfaOBD or 6ohm 50w resistors. At the time, they were only compatible for quad headlight trucks, so I built some adapter harnesses for mine, then called Alpharex (the manufacturer) and talked about them offering adapters for those with projector headlight trucks. They sent me a pic of what they made, and by the time I noticed they forgot to add the dedicated DRL wire in the adapters, they already had batches made up, so I don’t know if they’ll get around to adding that. This would only affect those that want to enable the DRLs using AlfaOBD, otherwise, the included DRL fuse tap harness can be used.
I heavily modified mine because only the upper strip was used for DRLs, the turn signal wasn’t sequential, and the black bezels kind of clashed with my truck. I completely gutted them, ripped out the upper and lower LED boards and drivers, and replaced them with sequential switchback strips, and rewired everything to work how I wanted it. I painted the bezels max steel, and kept the shrouds chrome. The low beam projectors have a fixed cutoff shield, so they don’t drop when the high beams are switched on. I had some Morimoto d2s minis collecting dust, so I fabbed those in to fit for the low beam projectors. The cutoff lines and beam width/pattern are pretty much identical between the projectors that came with and the d2s minis, but I stuck with the d2s just because I had them, and I could have shields that dropped with the high beams. I’m using the innovited 35w H7 HID kit for the lows, and some off brand $29 Amazon H7 LEDs for the highs.
OF COURSE, after I did all this, they released a new G2 version for $455, that pretty much mimics everything I just did, and they also have smoked upper and lower LED strips. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-G2-Headlights-w-Switchback-Sequential-LED-Signal-for-2009-2018-Ram-1500/312616461866?_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=20160908105057&meid=b6b81e74a1d443a4b40e66bb7f19682b&pid=100675&rk=1&rkt=15&sd=312616461866&itm=312616461866&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci:138e4e8e-96ae-11e9-95ee-74dbd180383b|parentrq:8ac0833016b0a86015e2d726ffbd29b0|iid:1
Yeah, the smoked DRL's are key IMO and really improve the look. How bright are the turn signals? On my stock projectors I can see the turn signals lighting up the street signs/overhead signs at traffic lights and such they're so bright.
I bought a set after talking to sabersport on eBay about the adapter harness for factory projectors(I’m factory quads but upgraded to projectors with a factory harness). Ended up at 450 for them and he’s including the adapter harness. Haven’t picked up some H7 hid’s yet, I have some 9005 putco leds and innovited 9005 hid’s mixed and matched in my current headlights.

Headlights should be in in a few days. Wondering if I should just put my factory quad harness in and not worry about the adapter harness or run the adapter harness. I had issues running hid’s in my truck. Could only ever get one headlight working.

I’ll probably try it both ways. I’ll keep this thread updated. I got the smoked DRL’s and I’m half tempted to take them apart and paint the chrome shrouds.

Mine should be in on Monday. Here’s a link to the xb headlight instructions in case anyone is interested.

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/media/custom/upload/Ram_XB_LED_Headlights.pdf

·
Premium Member
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Got around to getting these installed today.

Packaged well. Out of the box the quality was great. Fitment top and side, damn near perfect. Fitment bottom, uh, we’ll see how much it bugs me.

Pics

DRL
Parking
Low
Sequential turns

Attachments

·
Registered
816 Posts
are these the Gen1 or Gen2 ?

they look good!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Any updates on these? How are you liking them? Any moisture at all or problems that you are having?

·
Premium Member
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Any updates on these? How are you liking them? Any moisture at all or problems that you are having?
No moisture issues at all and I spent a week in humid rainy Florida with them. Only thing I could complain about is the cutoff. It’s not a super crisp line like my stock projectors, the lines almost seem ed a little bit. Nonetheless, they look good, they throw good light, and they were cheap.

I wouldn’t mind opening them up to paint the shrouds, maybe put a different projector in there or align the ones that are in there, and also install the profile hi lens’ I have. But it’s not on my hurry to do list.

·
Registered
100 Posts
No moisture issues at all and I spent a week in humid rainy Florida with them. Only thing I could complain about is the cutoff. It’s not a super crisp line like my stock projectors, the lines almost seem ed a little bit. Nonetheless, they look good, they throw good light, and they were cheap.

I wouldn’t mind opening them up to paint the shrouds, maybe put a different projector in there or align the ones that are in there, and also install the profile hi lens’ I have. But it’s not on my hurry to do list.
Appreciate your feedback.

·
Registered
13,387 Posts
After a second pair of failed XBs, I'm tempted. I'll have to dig around for photos of the light output and beam cut-off first.

I can get a new pair from TRS, but it's getting old to keep replacing them. Had I known, I would've taken the grille off, and left it off, to speed up the procedure a little.

If I were smart I'd build the brackets for my JW Speaker 7-inch rounds, leaving the dismal factory lights alone and depend on the auxiliary ones instead.
It worked very well with Hella halogens on my '10, so LEDs should be better yet.

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
Subbed while I look for a picture of my new headlights and bulbs....

·
Registered
100 Posts
After a second pair of failed XBs, I'm tempted. I'll have to dig around for photos of the light output and beam cut-off first.

I can get a new pair from TRS, but it's getting old to keep replacing them. Had I known, I would've taken the grille off, and left it off, to speed up the procedure a little.

If I were smart I'd build the brackets for my JW Speaker 7-inch rounds, leaving the dismal factory lights alone and depend on the auxiliary ones instead.

It worked very well with Hella halogens on my '10, so LEDs should be better yet.
Dang, why did they fail?

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
new HID bulbs in Recon projector housings. I adjusted them lower than normal so I don't blind ne1, if I need to reach way out there I turn on the LED light bar.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,387 Posts
Well, they didn't actually fail. They were faulty.

The first pair had a right side that couldn't be adjusted up enough and a left that had a non-horizontal light output.
Then the second set had the same issues, except on opposite sides.

I should call TRS and see about a third replacement set...or a refund. But first I need to make my mind up about if I want to try again. They say that the third time is the charm, right?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Well, they didn't actually fail. They were faulty.

The first pair had a right side that couldn't be adjusted up enough and a left that had a non-horizontal light output.

Then the second set had the same issues, except on opposite sides.

I should call TRS and see about a third replacement set...or a refund. But first I need to make my mind up about if I want to try again. They say that the third time is the charm, right?
Yea, now that you mention it, i did read on the other thread about those issues you had.

I really want to like them, but for the price they should be perfect!

They do say 3rd time is the charm. Keep me posted.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,387 Posts
Last I called, right before my trip, they wouldn't have any new lights until September.
Either they're selling really well, or I'm not the only one who has to get replacements.

·
White Lightning
12,018 Posts
Last I called, right before my trip, they wouldn't have any new lights until September.
Either they're selling really well, or I'm not the only one who has to get replacements.
Apparently all current inventory is riding around in UPS and FedEx trucks for warranty purposes. >:)

·
Registered
13,387 Posts
It sure seems that way, Brockman.
The only flaw in your statement is that they appear to only use UPS.

1 - 20 of 355 Posts