Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2019 3500 DRW ride quality?

Over the past 10 years I have owned many Dodge/Ram and Ford heavy duty trucks. I owned two Ram 3500 DRW's - 2012 and 2014. Several years ago I bought the redesigned Ford F-350 and it is a dream with no weight in the bed. Of course you know it's a heavy duty truck, but it rides smooth compared to everything else I have owned.

What is the ride quality like these days in the new Ram 3500? I read that Ram did a lot of work to the frame, but I don't know if it was a clean sheet design.

I want to get back into a Ram, but I put about 2/3 of my miles per year not towing, so I'd like a somewhat comfortable truck.

Edit: I am a full-time RV'er and tow a 18,000lb 5th wheel. Won't rule out going over 20K in the future.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I think the 2019 rides great for a dually.

Even with that said, the best way for YOU to know is go drive one at dealer.:wink2:

·
HI
3,444 Posts
I can't say for a dually but my 19 3500 SRW ( I don't know how much difference there is in ride quality from a dually to a SRW) rides 100x's better than my 13' 3500 srw and my 07 3500 srw. I also think it rides better than the F-350 I test drove before I ordered this truck. My truck has the rear air and I have heard that helps with ride also. I haven't driven a 19 that didn't have the air so I couldn't tell you first hand if there was a difference.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I don’t have have a DRW but had a 2017 F350 and now a 2019 3500 Ram. Both had Fox shocks. The front ends ride very similar with the Ford getting the slight nod but the Ford rode much better in the rear. I’ve had many times the Ram sags significantly less while towing because the springs are stiffer but rides worse which I find true.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I don’t have have a DRW but had a 2017 F350 and now a 2019 3500 Ram. Both had Fox shocks. The front ends ride very similar with the Ford getting the slight nod but the Ford rode much better in the rear. I’ve had many times the Ram sags significantly less while towing because the springs are stiffer but rides worse which I find true.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just purchased a 2019 3500 DRW after driving a 06 F350 DRW and I have to say the 19 rides much better than my old truck. I've never owned a Ram and must say I was surprised when I test drove a couple. I drove all three makes prior to deciding and for my tastes found the Chevrolet to much like a car, the Ford and Ram were very similar, but I chose to purchase my Ram. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
108 Posts
:stirpot: I hate to say it but I had a '15 Ram 3500 SRW... Test drove a '18 Ram 3500 DRW and a '19 Ford F350 DRW (FX4 w/ camper package and 4.10 axle) - the Fords ride was MUCH better IMHO... And now the Ford is sitting in my driveway, towed our 15k trailer much better than the old Ram did...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Ride comparison

I just got my 2019 Trademan 4x4 3500 DRW 6.7 H.O.with Aisin and 4:10 gears last Sunday. I can say after hauling with it empty or full , honestly in my opinion, it rides great! Here is how I am comparing it with the following trucks I own now.

1. A 2012 Chevy Silverado HD SRW duramax 4x4 3:73 gearing with an Allison. The Chevy shifts the same way as the Allison and the ride quality is quite comparable even with the Chevy having a independent front suspension, which I was shocked! Now as for the seats they are far more superior in design than the 01 and 03 Dodges I have, even being worn some. Lol NOT the 2019 seats though those are comfy, even being just cloth. lol
2. 2 01 Dodge 3500's 4x4 Laramie DRW with 4:30 gears. These 2 will pull like their is no tommorrow, because they are far from stock both tranny and motor wise, but the ride is horrible empty or pulling heavy! My 1970 military duece and half troop transport with the spring loaded seat rides better!! I only keep them because of their pulling power, but man its rough as hell!
3 My 03 Dodge 3500 4x4 Laramie DRW is the same quality ride pulling as the 01's , but without a load its a hair better for some reason. Lol These cloth seats just were crap from the git go and uncomfortable! That didnt help!
4. 2019 Ram Tradesman Crew Cab 3500 4x4 long box with the new Aisin and 4:10 gears. This thing, so far Lol, is thee best riding truck I have owned so far. Even with not having the upgraded seats that are an option in the Laramie, Long Horn and Limited series trucks.

Hope this makes sense and helps!:wink2:

·
Registered
14 Posts
I’d also like to say that my 3500 with air rides awesome as well. It shocks people who ride in it, they can’t believe it’s a dually...

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
I just got my 2019 Trademan 4x4 3500 DRW 6.7 H.O.with Aisin and 4:10 gears last Sunday. I can say after hauling with it empty or full , honestly in my opinion, it rides great! Here is how I am comparing it with the following trucks I own now.

1. A 2012 Chevy Silverado HD SRW duramax 4x4 3:73 gearing with an Allison. The Chevy shifts the same way as the Allison and the ride quality is quite comparable even with the Chevy having a independent front suspension, which I was shocked! Now as for the seats they are far more superior in design than the 01 and 03 Dodges I have, even being worn some. Lol NOT the 2019 seats though those are comfy, even being just cloth. lol
2. 2 01 Dodge 3500's 4x4 Laramie DRW with 4:30 gears. These 2 will pull like their is no tommorrow, because they are far from stock both tranny and motor wise, but the ride is horrible empty or pulling heavy! My 1970 military duece and half troop transport with the spring loaded seat rides better!! I only keep them because of their pulling power, but man its rough as hell!
3 My 03 Dodge 3500 4x4 Laramie DRW is the same quality ride pulling as the 01's , but without a load its a hair better for some reason. Lol These cloth seats just were crap from the git go and uncomfortable! That didnt help!
4. 2019 Ram Tradesman Crew Cab 3500 4x4 long box with the new Aisin and 4:10 gears. This thing, so far Lol, is thee best riding truck I have owned so far. Even with not having the upgraded seats that are an option in the Laramie, Long Horn and Limited series trucks.

Hope this makes sense and helps!:wink2:
Weird. My 1997 3500 DRW 4x4 rides much better loaded or unloaded than my 2012 3500 SRW 4x4 did. The seats are more comfortable, too.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Weird. My 1997 3500 DRW 4x4 rides much better loaded or unloaded than my 2012 3500 SRW 4x4 did. The seats are more comfortable, too.
Hmm. Out of curiosity, how many miles on the 97? All mine are way over 650K miles. Have you pulled heavy loads? All mine have pulled extremely heavy loads through out their lives, like for example my EX100 trac hoe that weighed 28k. Lol As for the seats they were just junk from the beginning. lol

·
Registered
100 Posts
The problem with test driving one off the dealer's lot is that it'll have WAY too much pressure in the rear tires, making it ride like crap.
I am hearing all kinds of pressures to run in the DRW trucks. I still cant find out the right combo front to rear. Lol

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
Hmm. Out of curiosity, how many miles on the 97? All mine are way over 650K miles. Have you pulled heavy loads? All mine have pulled extremely heavy loads through out their lives, like for example my EX100 trac hoe that weighed 28k. Lol As for the seats they were just junk from the beginning. lol
I'm at 150k and change now. I pull 16k regularly, though that's about as much as I'd want to haul given that I'm in the mountains. The 4 speed tranny is the Achilles heel. I love the seats in my '97. I hated them in the 2012. They actually hurt on long trips.

·
Registered
12,158 Posts
I am hearing all kinds of pressures to run in the DRW trucks. I still cant find out the right combo front to rear. Lol
I've settled on 80 in the front (I tend to go fast through corners) and 40 in the rear when empty.
That's with a truck bed and tool boxes, by the way, some 9,300 lbs. total.

When towing, which is almost always, I inflate the rears to match the weight.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts